PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide barrels: SS or milspec?

shaneinhisroom
11-01-13, 15:10
I have no clue where people stand on SS vs mil spec barrels. I already have a general purpose rifle and a SBR, but I want to build one for a little longer range work (3 gun) as well as one I can lug to a 1000rd class as a back up gun.

It will have a magnified optic on it such as a 1-4 or 1-6x. I'm looking to speed up my 200-500yd practical accuracy (A zone) engagements . I see no need for sub MOA accuracy out of this gun especially if I"m not going to be reloading/buying match ammo.

Will definitely be from reputable companies such as BCM, Noveske or the like.

I'll probably be using regular 55-62gr ammo. No reloading.

After typing this out I think mil-spec is the way to go but I might as well hit submit now... Did I miss anything?

sva01
11-01-13, 15:30
Read this and you'll probably answer the question for yourself:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=141291

shaneinhisroom
11-01-13, 15:49
Great, now I understood most of that since my profession is a metallurgist...but it makes it harder to make a decision!

From the link I see stainless is actually more heat resistant than I thought, and even though I won't feed it match ammo, one day I may. That and a 1/8 twist is better than 1/7 when it comes to 55gr bullets. However the milspec barrel is more enticing due to its lower maintenance.

I guess the ultimate question is: can anyone post their real world 300-500yd accuracy with a milspec barrel and 55-62gr ammo? Shouldn't have a problem hitting 6-8" circle if I do my part right?

EDIT: Looks like cost variable goes out the window as BCM has them all the same price.

sva01
11-01-13, 16:06
I think this makes the decision pretty clear:

Now, after all that, here's what I think people need to look at when selecting a stainless vs chrome lined barrel.

- Are you in a position to be able to feed it exclusively match grade ammunition? There's no point in going stainless if you're shooting M855. The best barrel in the world won't make inaccurate ammunition shoot straight. If you can't afford / can't use match ammunition for whatever reason...go chrome.

So, my position is that if you can take an honest look at yourself and determine that A) you can shoot to the potential of a match type barrel and B) you can afford to feed it a high quality diet and C) You don't mind the extra weight from the SS and beefier contour and D) you will not neglect to maintain your equipment...that you in fact SHOULD choose a stainless barrel for the edge in accuracy.

If the answer to any of these or the above questions is NO...go chrome.

Sorry for being so long winded.

RGoose
11-01-13, 21:20
It sounds like chrome lined is the way to go from you based upon your described requirements. A good quality chrome lined barrel with decent (not match grade, but not mil surplus) will still prove to be pretty accurate.

Bluedreaux
11-01-13, 21:46
In my limited experience a good barrel will keep you from having to buy match grade ammo. My SS BCM shoots Federal 55FMJ as well as Black Hills 75BTHP. So the "don't get SS unless you'll always feed it match ammo" argument doesn't make sense.