PDA

View Full Version : New build questions

sharpshooter
11-01-13, 19:18
I didn't post this in the "build" section, because it looked like all the posts in the "build" section were pictures; although this is a build question. I am looking at building an upper soon now that the prices on everything are back down from sandy hook and such. I was wandering what vise blocks are preferred. The clamp style, or dpms style where the upper is attached to the vise block via the takedown pin holes, or the no-mar style where the upper is placed side ways in the vise and is held in place by a dpms style block on the bottom and a piece of plastic that covers the pic. Rail on the top. Also, what is the preferred method for putting on a barrel? I've heard that you should tighten an loosen the barrel nut 3 times to stretch the threads, so on the final tightening the barrel will be as right as possible and the threads won't stretch from firing down the road. I've also heard red loctite, and I've heard blue loctite, and I've heard moly anti seize grease. I'm completely new to building and this will be my first. Any help on anything is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

F-Trooper05
11-01-13, 19:27
Try the Geissele Reaction Rod. It's a million times better than any vice clamp (unless you're working on a KAC).

Hmac
11-01-13, 20:22
Geissele Reaction Rod...absolutely. That plus a mag well block and a Hammerhead tool.

Moly grease for the barrel nut threads.

SteveL
11-01-13, 20:45
I suggest you stay away from the upper receiver block that fits up inside the upper and holds it by the pin holes. I don't think it would be a good idea to use one of these to assemble an upper. I also suggest you stay away from thread lockers like red or blue Loctite on the barrel nut. Go with a moly grease or copper based anti-seize compound like Loctite C5A (note this type of Loctite is not a thread locker). I've seen Iraqgunz recommend this stuff and I've had good luck with it.

I've also seen other knowledgeable people here say they tighten the barrel nut down, loosen it, and retighten it 5+ times.

sharpshooter
11-01-13, 20:49
Thanks all for the great replies