PDA

View Full Version : Bolt carrier "swap" question

Millhouse
11-02-13, 14:43
Thanks to anyone in advance that can answer this probably simple question! I'm swapping my Daniel Defense v.5 upper with my Colt Sporter (pre ban CA legal) lower and have a carrier issue. The DD carrier (full auto type) will not work with the Colt lower since its set up to use a semi auto bolt carrier only. If I swap out the DD carrier for the Colt carrier and still use the DD bolt....could I run into head spacing issues or does the carrier swap even matter as I'm using the original bolt/barrel combo?

STG44*
11-02-13, 15:01
Would be good if you had a set of headspace gauges,just to
check. Pete

Iraqgunz
11-02-13, 15:32
If I understand correctly you want to use the DD bolt, with the Colt neutered carrier and you want to know if it will work on the lower. Yes it will work and there is need to headspace anything as the carrier has nothing to do with it.

Millhouse
11-02-13, 15:34
I figured that was going to be the "safe" answer....but I just didn't want to go through the time and effort to check the head space again. It may just be easier to file down the aluminum block on the Colt lower so that any carrier will work....

Millhouse
11-02-13, 15:38
@ iraqguns.....did you mean there is "no" reason to check headspace as the carrier has nothing to do with it? And yes,
the Colt carrier is the only "neutered" carrier I have as everything else has the "real" version in it.

Iraqgunz
11-02-13, 15:41
Correct. In addition that block is steel as I recall and there is one company that will remove that block and then fill in the holes and anodize the lower.

@ iraqguns.....did you mean there is "no" reason to check headspace as the carrier has nothing to do with it? And yes,
the Colt carrier is the only "neutered" carrier I have as everything else has the "real" version in it.

Millhouse
11-02-13, 15:48
Correct. In addition that block is steel as I recall and there is one company that will remove that block and then fill in the holes and anodize the lower.

Thanks so much for the help...I really appreciate it!

tom12.7
11-02-13, 16:02
I had M60Joe remove the sear blocks in a bunch of mine years ago. His quality seemed fine, I don't recall the price, but it didn't make me flinch either.