PDA

View Full Version : Just received my first can - SOCOM Mini 556

elwoodcg
11-03-13, 20:13
Just got in my first can yesterday, a Surefire SOCOM Mini 556. Took it out to the range and put about 250 rounds through it. First impression is that it locks up super tight. Even before tightening down the lock ring, it takes some shimmying to get it down over the index point. The fit on the 3p flash hider is absolutely precise. Couldn't have asked for a better fit.

This is only the second rifle can I've shot so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect but it sure knocks down the blast quite a bit. I let a couple friends shoot it as well and while standing at 5 o'clock, the sound is noticeably then at the shooter's ear.

Recoil impulse is nice too on my DD M4 V5. It ran perfectly and actually felt a little softer shooting than without the can.

I don't have any action pics here's a snapshot from the phone. I hope to have my stamp back in my mk18 in a few weeks and the can will probably ride there most of the time from here on out. Still, it felt very manageable on my 16".

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/elwoodcg/IMG_0732.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/elwoodcg/media/IMG_0732.jpg.html)

4DAIVI PAI2K5
11-03-13, 20:20
Congrats!

Army Chief
11-03-13, 21:17
Buying quality the first time ... always a wise move. I'm sure this one will serve you well.

AC

PT Doc
11-03-13, 22:20
Mine is sitting in jail waiting on a stamp. Looks good.

Aaron_B
11-04-13, 06:23
Very Nice, I have been thinking about buying one of the mini's for a 14.5 build but the current wait time of 15 months puts a damper on things. I have a 512 can still waiting for approval that will go on my 10.5 gun.

Army Chief
11-04-13, 06:32
Same situation here. Sitting on month #10 for a SDN-6 now, and I suspect the waits will only be growing worse, with or without any rule changes.

Of course, a thinking man would probably drop the paperwork anyway, realizing that 15 months is only going to be turning into 17 or more -- perhaps many more -- if he just sits around until the end of the year lamenting how inefficient the system has become. I've been caught up in that kind of thinking myself, and in the end, it only adds to the frustration.

AC

Aaron_B
11-04-13, 07:13
You are definitely right AC.

I will probably be picking up one sooner because I will be leaving in the next few months. Heading out to do contract work for a year and I wouldn't be able to use it while gone anyways.

RHINOWSO
11-04-13, 08:05
Same situation here. Sitting on month #10 for a SDN-6 now, and I suspect the waits will only be growing worse, with or without any rule changes.

Of course, a thinking man would probably drop the paperwork anyway, realizing that 15 months is only going to be turning into 17 or more -- perhaps many more -- if he just sits around until the end of the year lamenting how inefficient the system has become. I've been caught up in that kind of thinking myself, and in the end, it only adds to the frustration.

AC
Agreed. Don't sit and wait for the time to come down, because other than a momentary dip of a month or so, over the past 4 years it has only increased steadily over time. My first stamps 4 years ago took between 2.5-3 months... When the wait times got to 4-5 months I waited a year for them to "go down"... And of course they never did and I eventually submitted a bunch more that took 7 months door to door... Now this 15 month thing, although I hear people in line are starting to get stamps back after the shutdown, so I think it'll be shorter for people who have paperwork in the pipe.

RHINOWSO
11-04-13, 08:07
You are definitely right AC.

I will probably be picking up one sooner because I will be leaving in the next few months. Heading out to do contract work for a year and I wouldn't be able to use it while gone anyways.

You sir are out of excuses. Buy it, set the paperwork up with your dealer and when you get back you should have some toys waiting for you...

Javelin
11-04-13, 08:12
Nice can :)

Aaron_B
11-04-13, 09:19
You Sir, are right! Must do trust first though...

You sir are out of excuses. Buy it, set the paperwork up with your dealer and when you get back you should have some toys waiting for you...

jpmuscle
11-04-13, 11:14
Hey its a sling ding!

Nice can too OP

1slow01Z71
11-04-13, 12:19
Nice to see theyre still issuing stamps :D

Been thinking about getting a compact can myself but haven't been able to convince myself yet to spend that kind of money on a can.

Fringe
11-04-13, 19:18
I am debating whether or not my M42K will be too long and heavy for an 11.5.

This SF can is pretty neat. May I ask how much you found it for?

BigLarge
11-04-13, 19:58
How was the DB? Did you run it without ears? Anxious to hear how it performs on your MK18

elwoodcg
11-04-13, 20:27
Fringe, I think I paid around $1125 through S&K Arms. That was 1.5 months ago (did a form 3 before the 4) so I'm not 100% but that sounds close. Kane there was great to deal with.

My goal for the can was for it to knock down the blast on the sbr while running cqb classes but also be able to serve double duty on my 16" and not be too unwieldy. I think it's definitely accomplished the latter. My 1-5 drill times slowed down a bit but that may have mainly been. Just b/c I'm rusty in the rifle. I think it'll do well for cqb and look forward to a shorter overall package than my non-suppressed 16".

BigLarge, I don't have much to compare it to besides a Gem Tec Trek T on a friend's sbr. Conditions were different so I won't throw out a comparison. I did not try it without ear pro. I've actually got some ringing in my ears from an outing a month or so ago where my ear pro got pushed up, exposing me somewhat to muzzle blast. I'll plan to pick up some surefire ear pro buds and run those with the can on going forward if I'm solo or around suppressed guns.

Standing 20 feet away at 4 o'clock, the sound was very good. I could probably have gone without ear pro and been fine. Contrast that with me reaching for foam plugs in addition to muffs when my buddy was shooting his 10.5" sbr with a flash hider. The difference was night and day. My other goal with the can is if shit got real bad, I could use it indoors without blowing out my eardrums but I certainly wouldn't run without ear pro as handy as those surefire ear buds are.

We'll see how we'll it tames the sbr but so far, I have no regrets going with the mini over the full size can.

TOM1911
11-04-13, 20:27
Just recieved the stamp for my 556 RC today.. Just had to hot foot it over to the SOT after work.. Much joy today. After the near eight month wait..

TOM1911
11-07-13, 06:18
Buying quality the first time ... always a wise move. I'm sure this one will serve you well.

AC

That was my guideline on the purchase of the 556 RC.. If you're going to do it.. Do it right.. It may have been a bit pricey, but the quality will assuage the sting of the pricetag.

STAMarine
11-11-13, 16:34
I am debating whether or not my M42K will be too long and heavy for an 11.5.

This SF can is pretty neat. May I ask how much you found it for?

I run a M42k on my 11.5 and think it's perfect. In fact, it's my go-to set up now. I am seeing increased wear as compared to my 14.5 I think though. Or I could be imagining it. But I really do think that set up is hard to beat.

Fringe
11-11-13, 17:06
I run a M42k on my 11.5 and think it's perfect. In fact, it's my go-to set up now. I am seeing increased wear as compared to my 14.5 I think though. Or I could be imagining it. But I really do think that set up is hard to beat.

Do you run a break to cut the blast?

Thanks for your input.

STAMarine
11-11-13, 19:18
Do you run a break to cut the blast?

Thanks for your input.

Nope. Probably should but it's not a dedicated suppressed weapon so I like the flash suppressor and dislike the muzzle blast it would have.

markm
11-12-13, 13:17
BigLarge, I don't have much to compare it to besides a Gem Tec Trek T on a friend's sbr. Conditions were different so I won't throw out a comparison. I did not try it without ear pro.

You might find that it's quieter to the shooter than the full size Gemtec. I tried the AAC mini and the reduced back pressure of the short baffle stack made the port snap less painful.

Standing over top of the mini vs. a full size can, I could hear that the mini was a little louder with a different tambre. And running a mini on a bolt gun where port snap isn't an issue... the mini was noticeably less lovely.

Out front of the can they are all the same painful supersonic crack.

munch520
11-13-13, 08:42
Very nice OP, haven't heard a mini in person yet. I'm anxious to check one out

elwoodcg
11-18-13, 06:40
Took the can out for another spin yesterday. I was in a narrow "combat pit" with a large concrete wall in one side. I ran Surefire ear buds with the stoppers out no problem. I could hear the sonic crack but it wasn't at all painful. Conversely, while shooting my G19, I wanted the stoppers in.

I'm hoping my SBR arrives in the next week or two. If I can shoot it with the can and only the ear buds, preferably with stoppers out, I'll consider it a successful venture.

hunt_ak
11-24-13, 05:52
Same situation here. Sitting on month #10 for a SDN-6 now...

Do you have any specifics on not going with a SOCOM762-RC?