PDA

View Full Version : Need belt(s) within four weeks

DevilDog
09-08-06, 10:45
The good news - after a number of years of trying and failing due to either schedule, money or health, I am signed up for a pair of Tactical Response classes (Fighting Pistol, Fighting Rifle) in early October.

I've got ammo, guns, backup guns, and mags mags mags.

But the one thing I don't have is a good belt. Obviously my immediate need is something that will get me through the classes. I am not a pro (no need to be armed as part of a job) and have not/was not going to ccw until I got through a good fighting pistol course.

Ideally I'd order a Milt Sparks but I can't see it showing up before then. Anyone have a recommendation on a good gun belt that I can get a hold of within the next four weeks and would serve me for concealed carry after that?

Pistol will be a Glock M19 in an Uncle Mike's kydex. For ccw I will probably go with a blade tech IWB (but don't want to try my first class with IWB as I prefer to try to do both classes with the pistol in the exact same spot). My plan is for subsequent classes/training I'll work on using IWB carry (crawl then walk).

Wayne Dobbs
09-08-06, 11:23
I would suggest a Wilderness Instructor belt with the CSM insert (www.thewilderness.com) in either 1.5 or 1.75" width. Or, you may be able to come up with one of the better makers' leather belts from Craig and Audrey (great folks!) at Lightning Arms Sports (www.lightningarms.com).

Hope you come up with something good for your needs.

Wayne

rob_s
09-08-06, 12:03
I prefer leather belts, but if you want nylon take Wayne's advise above.

If you're like me and prefer leather, you're going to have to hunt around and do some calling to see who has what in stock. Gunner's Alley (http://www.gunnersalley.com/) is a great place to start. I'm wearing one of their belts right now.

FWIW, I shoot all competitions and classes I participate in with a Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster. It's what I carry in all day long and it's what I train with.

Wayne Dobbs
09-08-06, 12:39
Rob,

I like both depending on the situation and need. Lightning Arms has Milt Sparks belts ready to ship. I have two of those that have been in service as dress gun belts for about 20 years and they're still going strong. I also like Kramer's horsehide belts and I'm wearing one right now that's about seven years old and it's in great shape. It's my favorite jeans belt...

Haven't tried your source, but will sure keep them in mind.

I like the Wilderness belts for hard training, daily work wear over here and where it's hot/humid.

Wayne

rob_s
09-08-06, 12:52
I like the Wilderness belts for hard training, daily work wear over here and where it's hot/humid.

Believe me when I tell you, a construction site in SE Florida is hot and humid this time of year.:D
I don't carry a gun for a living, so concealed carry is my mode of carry 100% of the time. I just can't bring myself to carry a 1911 in a plastic holster on a nylon belt.:eek:

SethB
09-08-06, 14:00
Wilderness is good stuff, mine is 1.5 to fit my Alessi Holster. I have an Alessi belt on the way. Yes, it's been a while.

DevilDog
09-08-06, 14:02
Thanks guys - that info really helps.

I have a want/need for both kinds. For my primary ccw purposes I would probably use a good leather belt most of the time, but would also like a nylon belt for range abuse.

I'm glad to see Wilderness has it in 1.5, as that would fit most of my trousers and it should serve me well as a hunting belt, since my last one shrunk! :(

Policetacteam
09-13-06, 01:22
I also use an 1.5" Wilderness Tactical belt and would say it's the best belt out there. I use the 5 stitch reinforced and find that it provides a very stable shooting platform to draw from. I'm about to order another Wilderness with the C.S.M. insert. It's definitely worth the money.