PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Arms?

recon
05-04-08, 15:40
Have a 2004 model oly. The p-mags or thermolds will not lock up in the mag well. What are the options here to get his working?

Jay Cunningham
05-04-08, 15:41
demigod will be along shortly to help you out.

Iraqgunz
05-04-08, 17:08
Promptly dispose of one Olympic Arms lower and start from scratch. My guess is their lower is out of spec and you're not going to have much luck.

Remember911
05-04-08, 20:29
Not to be a a$$ but you must not have got your answer on afcom?:D You will get the truth here and that is what I like about this forum. (no bull).

Eric
05-04-08, 21:23
For unknown reasons there were several years where OA failed to bevel the magazine well nearest the trigger guard. This left more material in place to contact the ridge of the body of the Pmag. Sorry for the crappy photo, but it shows what I'm talking about.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/K3B/magwell.jpg

recon
05-04-08, 21:30
This rifle is my brother in laws. So is there a easy way to get this fixed or should he just try and sell it? It's brand new and never fired.

markm
05-04-08, 21:39
Olympic arms are TRASH, out of spec JUNK. Putting a pmag in one should be against the law.

Don't sell it. Because that would be passing a piece of shit onto a fellow shooter. To me that's a crappy thing to do.

I just shot a class with a guy with a Damned OLY. Another malf fest hunk of crap. :mad:

markm
05-04-08, 21:43
For unknown reasons there were several years where OA failed to bevel the magazine well nearest the trigger guard.

I'm not tracking. :confused:

There's nothing "unknown" about OLY's disregard for quality or customer service. There's nothing "unknown" about the corners that Oly cuts in its junky weapons.
There's nothing "unknown" about how OLY will tell you that there's nothing they can do when you go to make a claim on that great lifetime guarantee! :eek:

recon
05-04-08, 21:55
Okay then. So is it worth trying to get fixed and who can do it?

Ridgerunner665
05-04-08, 22:00
demigod will be along shortly to help you out.

Damn...You weren't kidding were you, :D ...He's right though

markm
05-04-08, 22:02
Okay then. So is it worth trying to get fixed and who can do it?

Receivers are relatively cheap and readily available. I'd buy a good one. Forget trying to make that turd good.

Excuse me if I come off a little pissy, but I've been reading the OLY horror stories for almost 10 years now. I even have an accumulation of some of the accounts for people who refuse to believe. Some of the crap I've read over the years about OLY is just unacceptable. The precious part is that OLY reps used to post that they had tighter tollerances than other brands. That's why they have so many failures to function.... those "tight tollerances"! :rolleyes:

BAC
05-04-08, 22:07
Olympic arms are TRASH, out of spec JUNK. Putting a pmag in one should be against the law.

Don't sell it. Because that would be passing a piece of shit onto a fellow shooter. To me that's a crappy thing to do.

I just shot a class with a guy with a Damned OLY. Another malf fest hunk of crap. :mad:

Oh don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

-B

Bushytale
05-05-08, 01:33
recon, if your mag well looks like the one in the picture Eric posted, just bevel the rest of the well with hand files or a Dremel tool (if you are handy with one) and touch it up with some Krylon. I have 2 Oly lowers that have tight mag wells. Most mags work fine in them but if a mag is at the upper end of the tolerance spec they are sticky in these 2 receivers but none of my others. I have CMMG, Bushmaster and Rock River lowers that take all mags with no problem.
demigod, the only lowers I see with ugly tool marks in the mag wells are Oly!

Eric
05-05-08, 02:25
the only lowers I see with ugly tool marks in the mag wells are Oly! That's why the pic was taken in the first place. Nasty chatter marks there.

Pablo
05-05-08, 07:08
I've been reading the OLY horror stories for almost 10 years now.

FNG :rolleyes:

ST911
05-05-08, 09:34
For unknown reasons there were several years where OA failed to bevel the magazine well nearest the trigger guard. This left more material in place to contact the ridge of the body of the Pmag. Sorry for the crappy photo, but it shows what I'm talking about.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/K3B/magwell.jpg

Looks like a few dozen that came through here, mostly 1999-2001 guns, all with varying levels of incomplete machining.

RojasTKD
05-05-08, 12:30
recon, if your mag well looks like the one in the picture Eric posted, just bevel the rest of the well with hand files or a Dremel tool (if you are handy with one) and touch it up with some Krylon. I have 2 Oly lowers that have tight mag wells. Most mags work fine in them but if a mag is at the upper end of the tolerance spec they are sticky in these 2 receivers but none of my others. I have CMMG, Bushmaster and Rock River lowers that take all mags with no problem.
demigod, the only lowers I see with ugly tool marks in the mag wells are Oly!

Agreed, if you can compare it to another (correct) lower and try ti file/dermel it so it will accept PMAGs. Also check the the staking that may need fixing too.

recon
05-06-08, 23:06
Okay some good ideas here. I wonder if I contact Olympic Arms by phone maybe they could give me a good answer. The right thing to do would be to exchnage the lower for a new current production one.

RojasTKD
05-07-08, 00:37
Okay some good ideas here. I wonder if I contact Olympic Arms by phone maybe they could give me a good answer. The right thing to do would be to exchnage the lower for a new current production one.

Can't hurt to try, but if that dosen't work fix it yourself (it would likely be faster).

R1pper
05-07-08, 01:30
Recon, I am in no way trying to offend you at all but I think you missing the point of some of the previous posts. Just throw the thing in the trash and buy a better rifle. You will save a lot of money and aggrivation in the long run. I'm not saying rush out and buy a Colt, LMT, or Noveske but buy something of a higher quality. I really do not know what you are trying to acheive with your rifle I.E. personal defense gun, patrol rifle or just a range toy.

-DM-

RojasTKD
05-07-08, 15:54
Better yet just send it to me. I'll dispose of it for you at no charge. Heck I'll even give you $100 for it... :)

Hey, worth a try right?

R1pper
05-07-08, 16:06
Better yet just send it to me. I'll dispose of it for you at no charge. Heck I'll even give you $100 for it... :)

Hey, worth a try right?

You would have to pay ME to take one of those turds.

recon
05-07-08, 16:09
Actually it's my brother in laws rifle. I'll let him know what his options are. Thanks for all the info. Me I have a bushey and rock river so I'am good!

CarlosDJackal
05-07-08, 16:18
Call Olympic Arms. Maybe they'll at the very least replace it with one that works with PMags.

My question though is, does it actually function with the regular GI magazine? If so, then just use those.

Good luck!!

recon
05-07-08, 16:25
Yep it works fine with other mags. It will be up to him.

djkj6
05-07-08, 18:08
you can file out the rear of the mag catch slot, compare it to a GI mag and you will see what it should look like..
cut the notch it the p-mag that catches on the mag release just a milimeter or 2 higher. so as to make the hole "taller"...you should check for the mag catch to begin pushing outwards upon mag insertion, and if the mag just stops moving before the catch drops in? that that is your issue, and can be easily fixed.

markm
05-08-08, 08:55
Call Olympic Arms. Maybe they'll at the very least replace it with one that works with PMags.

Not likely. They'll find an excuse to screw the guy.

Here's a fairly recent encounter posted on AR15.com:

Originally Posted By 357mag:

UPDATE 1/10/08

I called Olympic Arms to ask about replacing my lower and they said that they WILL NOT honor the warrantee. Their explanation was that this lower and the upper that it supposedly came with were sold as a matched pair. Why am I not surprised.

Lesson learned: Steer clear of Olympic Arms.

C4IGrant
05-08-08, 10:02
Love me some Oly! ;)

C4

Wayne Dobbs
05-08-08, 11:20
They are nothing but a "chocolate snowman" building operation...

recon
05-08-08, 19:29
Well the brother in law can always use the upper and get a better lower. Which is probably what he will do. Take the parts from it as spares.