PDA

View Full Version : Hunters: Still Hunting - Books/Resources?

Gutshot John
05-04-08, 18:28
Hunters, especially bow hunters...

I'm looking for a good book (or other resources) on still-hunting. I'm not a novice, but I've got a lot to learn.

Any suggestions?

Safetyhit
05-04-08, 19:11
While bow hunting may the better legal way to go here in N.J. for deer these days, sadly I can't offer you a good book.

That said, I have some tips...

Manage your scent as best you can, and always know the wind direction. Try to establish your stand in a favorable area as far as "regular" wind direction and animal traffic.

Stay as still as possible. Aim well and stabilize. Take quality shots or you could be chasing bloodtrails for days, to no avail.

Good luck pal.

:D

Gutshot John
05-04-08, 19:21
In terms of scent control... do you use scent control clothing (charcoal/silver lining?) or just wash regular camo in appropriate detergent and rely on charcoal spray?

Safetyhit
05-04-08, 20:04
In terms of scent control... do you use scent control clothing (charcoal/silver lining?) or just wash regular camo in appropriate detergent and rely on charcoal spray?

:confused:

At a whopping 39yrs that is after my time, as I haven't bow hunted since the 90's and have no clue what charcoal spray is. I remember sprays that smelled like either urine or shit, though. Regardless I am not sure any of them are necessary if you know what you are doing. I do know what charcoal lining can do, but it is less than fundamental.

Remember that our ancestors lived without our compound bows and scents, but still kept humanity going strong. You just need good technique. Worked for me more than once on my family's old farm I assure you, with both bow and shotgun.

Gutshot John
05-04-08, 20:12
Charcoal spray is just that...the charcoal absorbs extraneous odor. I'm sure our ancestors could have approximated the same thing with fire remnants. Cover odors are a necessary part of hunting and something our cave dwelling ancestors probably did. My dogs love rolling in feces...though I'm not such a big fan. :D

Charcoal lining brings back bad memories of NBC training which is why I just prefer old fashioned camo.

Safetyhit
05-04-08, 20:18
Charcoal spray is just that...the charcoal absorbs extraneous odor. I'm sure our ancestors could have approximated the same thing with fire remnants.

Interesting...

maze
05-04-08, 20:23
Bowhunting is a true test in patience. Still hunting with a bow, even more of a test. I haven't found any good books to learn the tricks of the trade from...however Peterson's Bowhunting, and Bowhunting World are great magazines that offer alot of first hand experience through its articles. I recommend getting some good DVD's either Drury, or Kiske usually at Basspro, or Cabelas. They will show you ways to improve. Use the web as well, alot of forums like this that can assist you as well. Enjoy, hope you stick with it.

tuff
05-04-08, 20:48
Myself and my Wife film and hunt for Bowhunting North America Television Show , this is our second season with the show and I have been bowhunting for 9 years now and would not do it any other way.

As far as scent control, take a shower with scent free soap, and wash your hunting cloths in scent free soap... , hunt the wind and always keep it your favor..

As far as learning a bit more about still hunting which is the only way I have ever hunted, you really just need to do your homework in the off season and find where the deer are traveling and bedding, feeding...then position yourself during hunitng season on their travel paths between their bedding areas and feeding areas, tree stands are best for still hunting, just be safe and wear a saftey harness....

good luck...

Gutshot John
05-04-08, 20:51
Myself and my Wife film and hunt for , this is our second season with the show and I have been bowhunting for 9 years now and would not do it any other way.

So...out of curiousity.

Who do I have to kill to get your job?

tuff
05-04-08, 20:53
In all honesty all it does is get free equipment and a few free hunts, other than that is is pure hobby.....my real job is a automotive painter...

Gutshot John
05-04-08, 20:57
I find that hunting is when I'm most centered. Bowhunting especially.

I've been practicing a bunch with my recurve but for ethical reasons I'm pretty attached to my compound for accuracy sake. Just a bit more practice...

In the meantime I read...I learn.

Safetyhit
05-05-08, 09:47
John, one more thing I will ask on behalf of the deer you will be after is take good shots. One reason I got out of bow hunting was the large number of lost, but severely wounded animals both I and family experienced. It's easy, especially after someone else in the group just got a big buck, to take a questionable shot out of frustration or desperation. It can lead to literally days of tracking for nothing, and needless suffering of the animal.

I was in a tree stand once and shot a 6 pointer that was almost under my stand with some does. But, the shot was a bit obscured and the arrow deflected just a bit to hit him in the side if the neck/chest area. I then watched the buck run only about 30 yards into the field (they still didn't know where I was), turn and bite the arrow, then pull it through. Then it went off with the does, and after following a small blood trail (clearly hit mostly muscle) till dark, nothing.

That stayed with me for a while, and now I just use a rifle or shotgun when I do deer hunt. I love the stealth of bow hunting, just not the efficiency of the weapon (in my hands, anyway).

Not to dissuade, just to suggest you take good shots.

Gutshot John
05-05-08, 10:25
John, one more thing I will ask on behalf of the deer you will be after is take good shots. One reason I got out of bow hunting was the large number of lost, but severely wounded animals both I and family experienced. It's easy, especially after someone else in the group just got a big buck, to take a questionable shot out of frustration or desperation. It can lead to literally days of tracking for nothing, and needless suffering of the animal.

I was in a tree stand once and shot a 6 pointer that was almost under my stand with some does. But, the shot was a bit obscured and the arrow deflected just a bit to hit him in the side if the neck/chest area. I then watched the buck run only about 30 yards into the field (they still didn't know where I was), turn and bite the arrow, then pull it through. Then it went off with the does, and after following a small blood trail (clearly hit mostly muscle) till dark, nothing.

That stayed with me for a while, and now I just use a rifle or shotgun when I do deer hunt. I love the stealth of bow hunting, just not the efficiency of the weapon (in my hands, anyway).

Not to dissuade, just to suggest you take good shots.

Of course. Among other things it's why I don't hunt recurve yet.

I'm never that desperate and hunting is mostly patience.

It's actually why I like the idea of still hunting in Western PA. If you suck, you're not even going to see a deer, let alone get an unethical shot.