PDA

View Full Version : When "the fun" is gone?

rhino
05-04-08, 20:43
So . . . I know some don't like to admit that a significant part of why they attend shooting/tactics/defense classes is because it's fun, but I'm not among them. It's not the only reason I do it, and perhaps not even the primary reason, but having fun does play a significant role.

What happens when it's not fun anymore? When instead of eagerly anticipating the new learning experiences, you instead find yourself neutral or even dreading the day the next class will arrive in which you enrolled?

The first formal classes of the year have not even arrived yet for me, but I find that I am not enthusiastically counting the days as I have been in years past. In competition circles, this is a sure sign of being "burned out," which is probably the same thing here. However, I feel more of an obligation to myself to attend some classes each year. At this point, I'm not sure whether or not it would make me less or more effective in defending myself, my family, and my household, which is probably the bottom line.

I have branched out a bit ... late last year and early this year I sought instruction from people whose methods differ from what I've learned in the past, and I've been glad for it. I'll be doing more of that this year, but so far it doesn't help in the motivation department. Maybe I just suck.

ToddG
05-04-08, 21:13
I'm a huge believer in fun during a class. There are three reasons for this:
When adults are enjoying themselves, they work harder.
When people enjoy training, they train more ... and practice more.
When people have fun in class, they assume the instructor is doing a great job. :cool:

Of course, it can't be all fun and games. We're not learning to play golf, we're learning to fight. Dealing with adversity is, by necessity, part of the equation.

You need to find a balance that works for you. Burn yourself out severely and you may just find a new hobby ... I've seen extremely proficient shooters literally hang up their gear and never shoot again. On the other hand, you don't want to become complacent with your skill level or your skill set. Training with new people once in a while is a great way to achieve that, as you've found already.

There's no law that says you have to take a class every three months. At a certain point, you've seen pretty much everything. Take some time to practice and refine what you've been taught. Try new things, experiment, and come to some conclusions about the differences you've seen between how Famous Guy One and Famous Guy Two teach.

Maybe you'll go a year or two before you get the desire to take another class. As long as you're practicing and improving, going to a class isn't a requirement for now. In a lot of ways, there's a limit to how much you can learn if you spend all your time in class and not enough time on your own.

rob_s
05-05-08, 05:46
Rhino, I'm finding myself in a similar mindset. So far, at least, while I may not have the anticipation of a class I once did I at least enjoy myself while I'm there. I've even come close to canceling at the last minute and eating the deposit but have always wound up going and enjoying myself and learning some things.

I've been trying to do as you say and take classes from instructors that I've never had before. This at least raises a bit of my anticipation as I'm going into unfamiliar territory.

Applying the lessons is key, and something I'm remiss in. I hate static range time. I even belong to a private indoor range that I've never used. I just can't get motivated to go to the range and "practice". I've been shooting IDPA for years and that's essentially my only practice time. I've wanted to take up IPSC, but with the price of ammo and gas, and family commitments lately, it just hasn't happened.

I actually think that finding another hobby for a while could be a good thing. Take a step back and reassess. Just don't take up golf.

Gutshot John
05-05-08, 07:37
I wish I could say the same, but between work and grad school it's all I can do to get range time. I do however burn out on reading military history which is what I study, and while it's probably my singular passion I often have to put it down... and there are often times I wonder whether I love it or hate it.

Sounds like you just need a break. Put down your guns and walk away for a while. Go fishing, read or whatever. Something that has nothing at all to do with shooting.

If you absolutely can't/won't I agree with Rob/Todd that you need to find something outside of your skill set/comfort zone...you have to find a way to make it fun.

Sidewinder6
05-05-08, 11:01
You will find yourself comming back after a break. Even much of the banter remains the same although it will be about different hardware or tactics, upgraded from lessons learned. Im on my second or third spin of motivation.

30 cal slut
05-05-08, 13:19
is the actual training causing you stress, or is it all the preparation, travel, time away from home, and expense ($4 gas!) that are getting to you? i could see the latter getting to me (logistics) if i trained frequently enough.

ra2bach
05-05-08, 13:33
Rhino, I'm finding myself in a similar mindset. So far, at least, while I may not have the anticipation of a class I once did I at least enjoy myself while I'm there. I've even come close to canceling at the last minute and eating the deposit but have always wound up going and enjoying myself and learning some things.

I've been trying to do as you say and take classes from instructors that I've never had before. This at least raises a bit of my anticipation as I'm going into unfamiliar territory.

Applying the lessons is key, and something I'm remiss in. I hate static range time. I even belong to a private indoor range that I've never used. I just can't get motivated to go to the range and "practice". I've been shooting IDPA for years and that's essentially my only practice time. I've wanted to take up IPSC, but with the price of ammo and gas, and family commitments lately, it just hasn't happened.

I actually think that finding another hobby for a while could be a good thing. Take a step back and reassess. Just don't take up golf.

what's wrong with golf?

rob_s
05-05-08, 13:43
what's wrong with golf?

Make it timed and full-contact and get back to me.
:p

Avenger29
05-05-08, 13:51
what's wrong with golf?

Because a golf course is a waste of range space:p

ra2bach
05-05-08, 14:05
Make it timed and full-contact and get back to me.

uh, wouldn't that be Hockey?

:D

ra2bach
05-05-08, 14:06
Because a golf course is a waste of range space:p

dah, then let's take away football stadiums too. there's more of them.

really, there's plenty to go around...

rob_s
05-05-08, 14:09
dah, then let's take away football stadiums too. there's more of them.

Have you ever looked at satellite photos of Broward County Florida?

ra2bach
05-05-08, 14:12
Have you ever looked at satellite photos of Broward County Florida?

beautiful, isn't it?

CarlosDJackal
05-05-08, 14:55
Sometimes you can't help but get burnt out on some things. When it's something that you don't have to do, you can easily recharge your batteries by stepping away from it for as long as you need.

Unfortunately, this is not always possible. I have been in the IT field for almost 13-years. I reached burn-out a long time ago but because I need the money to be able to keep living the lifestyle which I am used to, my options are very limited. These include anything from an extended vacation (I did this last December) all the way to a change in career (I am currently seriously considering this). Or you can go nuts and join the Army Reserve so that you can volunteer for a year's paid vacation at on of many very large beach "resorts" (I just did this).

Bottom line is that sometimes you should get away even from the things that you might normally enjoy doing. Otherwise you WILL find yourself tired of it all. JM2CW.