PDA

View Full Version : Problems with tango down pistol grip install

nelybarg
09-08-06, 16:16
Hey all. just purchased from a local dealer a new in package tango down pistol grip. following the instructions, i installed the grip.

problem. the grip doesnt fit right. theres a gap between the trigger group area and the front of the grip (see attached pic). the factory A2 style grip fits like it should with no noticable gap. i placed the TD grip and snug it up tight without a gap and shined a light into the grip. it looks like the screw hole is off by the same amount of the gap, about an 1/8 inch or so. needless to say i'm not happy.

called TD and left a message. no reply. this was the local dealers last TD in stock. called him already and he doesnt know when he may get more in.

am I doing something wrong on the install? thanks

Neil

http://www.glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=6820585

Submariner
09-08-06, 16:37
Who made the lower receiver? Perhaps the hole is not in exactly the right place and they fudges on the A2 grip. Stranger things have happened.:rolleyes:

nelybarg
09-08-06, 16:47
rifle is a smith &wesson. i reinstalled the A2 grip. theres a gap, but is less than 1/2 of the gap of the Tango Down grip. i could live with the gap if i had to, but the back of the grip doesnt sit flush with the back of the lower receiver.
:mad:

SuicideHz
09-08-06, 17:03
Believe it or not, my newest MIAD didn't fit quite right in my new Noveske lower. I couldn't get the screw in with the grip positioned properly. I had to push the grip on halfway and then start the screw and little by little get it seated. It's pretty damn good, but not perfect and it took a little patience. Not quite the same problem you are having though.

I'd have to say the lower but it could be a bad run of grips...

Chris Poston
09-08-06, 19:15
I put a T.D. grip on a Colt 6920 a week ago and had a helluva time getting it to seat properly. The rifle was two years old and it was a new grip ??? Once I t spoke to it a few times it fit like a glove but it was tense for a few minutes. If any of the local stores carry the T.D. grip go try one there and see if its the lower or just your grip. T.D.. has great customer service and if the grip I am sure they would trade out for another one.

molsen
09-08-06, 19:43
The rifle (or at least the lower) was made by CMT, who let quite a few out-of-spec lowers get out. These include lowers from Stag, Rock River, & Noveske. The problem was that the grip screw hole was in the wrong spot. The problem isn't the grip, it's the lower.

cohiba
09-08-06, 20:01
The rifle (or at least the lower) was made by CMT, who let quite a few out-of-spec lowers get out. These include lowers from Stag, Rock River, & Noveske. The problem was that the grip screw hole was in the wrong spot. The problem isn't the grip, it's the lower.

Molsen is absolutely correct. (As if he needed my blessing :D ) Quite a few were off.

nelybarg
09-08-06, 20:24
A guy from TD just called me from a message I left when i noticed the problem. for the life of me, i cant remember his name...John maybe..anyhoo he said that all their grips are manufactured mil-spec to colt and FN receivers. and that since mine isnt a colt or FN, its quite possible that the hole in the reciever is not in the same place. not like he was laying blame, but offering a possible reason.

what he suggested I do is take a rat tail file and elongate the hole. i'd have to use a different screw with a larger head on it as well. he assured me that the grip wouldnt suffer and that if it didnt work, he'd replace the grip for me.

i'll try it, i dont have anything to lose really. and if the hole on the receiver is really out of spec (i suspect it is), then any grip i put on there will show the same gap.

i looked at the hole on my A2 grip and i noticed that it to is slightly elongated... maybe S&W did it, i dont know... i'll update as to how it turns out.

Wayne Dobbs
09-08-06, 23:09
John Noveske just sold some N4 lowers on 10-8 Forums at a great price and they upfront stated this problem and that they'd relocated the hole in the included TD grips to compensate. Looks like you have another one from the same production run.

SuicideHz
09-09-06, 10:34
Molsen- you little turd...

;)

Stephen_H
09-09-06, 13:10
what he suggested I do is take a rat tail file and elongate the hole. i'd have to use a different screw with a larger head on it as well. he assured me that the grip wouldnt suffer and that if it didnt work, he'd replace the grip for me.

That's what I had to do with the TD grip on my Stag 6.8mm marked lower. It worked out just fine.

Stephen

nelybarg
09-09-06, 18:01
JEFF was the guy i spoke with, not john. I wonder if the Jeff i talked to was the owner. if so, thats awesome.

I follwed his suggestions. i had to slightly cut into the plastic divider that separates the 2 battery compartments to allow for the head of the screw. I was able to re-use the orginal screw at that. grip fits nice and snug with 0 wobble or play. 0 gap for that matter.

i'm happy with the fit and how it all turned out. i'll get a pic up tonight.

Neil

VA_Dinger
09-09-06, 18:57
I had a similiar problem with one of my LMT lowers last year. I just took a round file to the TD grip and it's worked out great. It does not surprise me anymore when a plastic part needs a little fitting.

DrMark
09-09-06, 22:58
I had a similiar problem with one of my LMT lowers last year. I just took a round file to the TD grip...

Same here with the LMT / TD grip combo.

I put a MIAD on it, which fit well. I'll put the TD on something else.

USMC03
09-12-06, 22:20
Unfortunately, I was the person who identified the problem and with the help of Jeff at Tango Down, got it corrected.

Here is some info I posted on another board in reference to this issue:

quote:
Originally posted by crackbot:
USMC03 did you have to do any modification to get the Tango Down to fit the stag reciever?

No modification was made to the grip. If you have a gap between the front of the Tango Down grip and where it meets up with the receiver (directly behind the trigger) (the gap is usually the thickness of 1 - 2 credit cards).

The gap is due to CMT (who makes receivers for Noveske, Stag Arms, Rock River Arms, S&W, Global Tactical, and several other companies) had the pistol grip screw hole in their lower receivers out of spec. They let out at least 3 runs of out of spec lowers between late 2005 and June of 2006.

Origionally I had this problem with the lower pictured above, but sent it back to Stag and they made 2 different lowers that were out of spec before the problem was identified and fixed (great company, awesome customer service).

I got the Stag lower back in just over 3 1/2 months.

I recently received a RRA lower that had the same problem. RRA refused to take responsiblity and told me to pound sand.

Hope this helps

SuicideHz
09-12-06, 23:04
It does help- it helps reinforce the stories I've heard about CS at RRA and how they will quickly tell you to go pound sand if you challenge them... :(

nelybarg
09-12-06, 23:17
Unfortunately, I was the person who identified the problem and with the help of Jeff at Tango Down, got it corrected.

quote:
USMC03 did you have to do any modification to get the Tango Down to fit the stag reciever?

No modification was made to the grip. If you have a gap between the front of the Tango Down grip and where it meets up with the receiver (directly behind the trigger) (the gap is usually the thickness of 1 - 2 credit cards).

The gap is due to CMT (who makes receivers for Noveske, Stag Arms, Rock River Arms, S&W, Global Tactical, and several other companies) had the pistol grip screw hole in their lower receivers out of spec. They let out at least 3 runs of out of spec lowers between late 2005 and June of 2006.

Origionally I had this problem with the lower pictured above, but sent it back to Stag and they made 2 different lowers that were out of spec before the problem was identified and fixed (great company, awesome customer service).

I recently received a RRA lower that had the same problem. RRA refused to take responsiblity and told me to pound sand.

Hope this helps

makes sense to me. did stag send you a brand new lower with the same SN on it,or how did that work? since mines an S&W, i wonder how they'd handle it. i'm not that concerned with it. the grips on there and it feels rock solid. AND i dont think i'll change it out ever again. i'd hate to have to go thru the hassle of sending the lower (or complete gun) to S&W to fix. if it becomes a problem down the road, i may contact S&W, but until then, i dont see a need.

thanks for the info. is stag making new runs of lowers with the hole in spec?

Boom
09-12-06, 23:45

quote:

Hope this helps

Thx for the heads up on RRA. This is the third time I have heard them tell people to pound sand.

BetaMO
09-13-06, 00:50
Interesting, I took off my factory grip from a RRA lower (circa '01 or so), and stuck on the Hogue grip with no issues last week, except the grip screw wasn't a screw but an allen head!

I'll get some of the new grips and try 'em out and let you know how it goes!

USMC03
09-13-06, 07:25
Interesting, I took off my factory grip from a RRA lower (circa '01 or so), and stuck on the Hogue grip with no issues last week, except the grip screw wasn't a screw but an allen head!

I'll get some of the new grips and try 'em out and let you know how it goes!

Not ment as a flame, but as a Gunnery Sgt. once told me when I was a young Private....."If all else fails, read the f*cking directions"

As noted in my post, the OUT OF SPEC. lowers were produced from late 2005 until June of 2006

I had a RRA that was made in early 2005 (a RRA UTE2) and the Tango Down Battle Grip fit perfectly on it.

You can't tell if the lower is out of spec by using an A2, Hogue, or ERGO Suregrip (rubber version), as the tolerances on these grips are not as tight as the tolerances on the Magpul MIAD and Tango Down Battlegrip.

USMC03
09-13-06, 07:31
makes sense to me. did stag send you a brand new lower with the same SN on it,or how did that work? since mines an S&W, i wonder how they'd handle it. i'm not that concerned with it. the grips on there and it feels rock solid. AND i dont think i'll change it out ever again. i'd hate to have to go thru the hassle of sending the lower (or complete gun) to S&W to fix. if it becomes a problem down the road, i may contact S&W, but until then, i dont see a need.

thanks for the info. is stag making new runs of lowers with the hole in spec?

Stag ended up making 3 new lowers (the 3rd was finally in spec). The new lower has the same serial number (so I don't have to go through the FFL process again).

Post June 2006 receivers will be "in spec" as there was something on one of the machines that was off.

I have 2 Stag receivers that I purchased in the fall of 2005, both guns are perfect. The bad batches came out in a 7 - 8 month period.

From my understanding one of the CNC machines was out of spec and had to have the specs recalibrated, and this is what was causing the problem.

rob_s
09-13-06, 07:37
Anyone know if CMT/Stag makes the DSA receivers? I have a stripped one I bought a couple of months ago and I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it. I'd hate to go to use it in a couple of years and find it's out of spec.

anyone know of a way to check it with calipers or something? I guess at the very least I could mount up a grip and see if it fits.

M4arc
09-13-06, 07:57
Anyone know if CMT/Stag makes the DSA receivers? I have a stripped one I bought a couple of months ago and I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it. I'd hate to go to use it in a couple of years and find it's out of spec.

anyone know of a way to check it with calipers or something? I guess at the very least I could mount up a grip and see if it fits.

I'm sure if they still do but at one time LMT made the lowers for DSA.

USMC03
09-13-06, 07:57

They are made by LMT. I have a friend who has a DSA lower from 2004 that had the same problem with the Tango Down grips. The current crop of LMT lowers are good to go from what I have seen.

BetaMO
09-13-06, 12:40
Not ment as a flame, but as a Gunnery Sgt. once told me when I was a young Private....."If all else fails, read the f*cking directions"

As noted in my post, the OUT OF SPEC. lowers were produced from late 2005 until June of 2006

I had a RRA that was made in early 2005 (a RRA UTE2) and the Tango Down Battle Grip fit perfectly on it.

You can't tell if the lower is out of spec by using an A2, Hogue, or ERGO Suregrip (rubber version), as the tolerances on these grips are not as tight as the tolerances on the Magpul MIAD and Tango Down Battlegrip.

Got ya! I will try a Magpul and see - I was just thinking perhaps they had issues in older ones as well?