PDA

View Full Version : Obama to 3.5 million Americans with cancelled health insurance plans - "My bad."

Eurodriver
11-07-13, 20:35
http://news.yahoo.com/president-obama-he%E2%80%99s-sorry-for-americans-losing-insurance-plans-233753421.html

Here is a timeline, compiled by The Washington Post, showing how Obama has addressed the “if you like your plan” promise over the past four years:

• June 15, 2009, in a speech to the American Medical Association:

“That means that no matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise to the American people: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your health-care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health-care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what.”

• March 19, 2010, in a speech at George Mason University four days before the ACA became law:

“If you like your doctor, you’re going to be able to keep your doctor. If you like your plan, keep your plan. I don’t believe we should give government or the insurance companies more control over health care in America. I think it’s time to give you, the American people, more control over your health.”

• October 4, 2012, during the first presidential debate with Mitt Romney:

“Number one, if you've got health insurance it doesn't mean a Government takeover. You keep your own insurance. You keep your own doctor. But it does say insurance companies can't jerk you around.

• September 25, 2013, during a speech in Prince George’s County, Maryland:

“Now, let’s start with the fact that even before the Affordable Care Act fully takes effect, about 85 percent of Americans already have health insurance -– either through their job, or through Medicare, or through the individual market. So if you’re one of these folks, it’s reasonable that you might worry whether health care reform is going to create changes that are a problem for you – especially when you’re bombarded with all sorts of fear-mongering. So the first thing you need to know is this: If you already have health care, you don’t have to do anything.”

• October 30, 2013, during a Boston speech on the Affordable Care Act:

“Now if you had one of these substandard plans before the Affordable Care Act became law and you really liked that plan, you were able to keep it. That's what I said when I was running for office. That was part of the promise we made. But ever since the law was passed, if insurers decided to downgrade or cancel these substandard plans, what we said under the law is, you've got to replace them with quality, comprehensive coverage because that too was a central premise of the Affordable Care Act from the very beginning.”

The only thing I like about this is that for probably the first time in his Presidency he isn't "inheriting" anything.

Of course he's blaming it on the insurance agencies while trying to take the high road simultaneously - but I'll settle for it not being Bush's fault.

No.6
11-08-13, 03:21
On the other hand, since Obama claims some provisions that are causing the current flap were "snuck in" ( http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2010/jan/31/videoobama-health-care-bill-some-provisions-got-sn/ ), I'm sure he and the media will find a way to blame the Republican party for that.

ABNAK
11-08-13, 05:37
The best part (well, actually the worst part) is that the employer mandate has been delayed until a year from now. Just wait and see how many get their insurance cancelled and dumped onto the exchanges then. Unfortunately we haven't seen shit yet.

duece71
11-08-13, 06:01
In the land of sheep and EBT cards, there will be a giant collective yawn, then someone will mutter....."what difference does it make??!!"

jpmuscle
11-08-13, 06:11
If it were genuine humility and not some calculated decision designed to mitigate fallout that would be one thing. It isn't.

Palmguy
11-08-13, 07:20
http://news.yahoo.com/president-obama-he%E2%80%99s-sorry-for-americans-losing-insurance-plans-233753421.html

The only thing I like about this is that for probably the first time in his Presidency he isn't "inheriting" anything.

Of course he's blaming it on the insurance agencies while trying to take the high road simultaneously - but I'll settle for it not being Bush's fault.

Yep, blaming it on someone else as if it was totally up to them. It's not like the ACA required a lot of these changes that made the plans have to change to be compliant.

On the other hand, since Obama claims some provisions that are causing the current flap were "snuck in" ( http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2010/jan/31/videoobama-health-care-bill-some-provisions-got-sn/ ), I'm sure he and the media will find a way to blame the Republican party for that.

The narrowed interpretation of the grandfathering rules were implemented by HHS (an executive agency under Obama's control)...everything this guy says is a lie, and yeah, they'll do whatever possible to shift blame to the Republicans.

Big A
11-08-13, 09:17
How much you wanna bet that the Repubs cave to these Dems that are trying to get a 1 year delay now that they're in danger of losing their precious seats in the house and senate over this shit sandwich?

jmp45
11-08-13, 09:33
The Dems are trying to get a 1 year delay now that they're in danger of losing their precious seats in the house and senate over this shit sandwich?

Fixed.. It's the only reason these Dems are pushing for a delay. The only reason.

a1fabweld
11-08-13, 09:49
My wife & I both recently received letters from our private health insurance companies stating they will be dropping our plans. She shopped around for new plans for us & the cheapest plans she found, with less coverage, will cost us $150 more per month each.

FK you Obama. You can shove your meaningless apology up your ass. And FK all those who voted for this douchebag. May you feel the pain of your votes 100X more than those of us who didn't sell him our souls.

Belmont31R
11-08-13, 09:50
There's documents in the Federal register where HHS estimated back in 2010 that millions of people would lose their insurance plans. Its not a 'mistake' or a 'we didn't know'. They did know, and intentionally lied this entire time.

And if that weak ass apology is just gonna sweep all this under the rug and get Obama out of this then theres really no reason for politicians to not continue lying their asses off.

jpmuscle
11-08-13, 10:05
For the love of god all I really want at this point is for somebody somewhere in this administration to go to jail or get impeached. Or both.

Caduceus
11-08-13, 10:08
For the love of god all I really want at this point is for somebody somewhere in this administration to go to jail or get impeached. Or both.
ditto

THCDDM4
11-08-13, 10:36
I think the answer to just about all of our problems, obamacare and beyond is really quite simple- on paper, but incredibly complicated to get people to act on in reality.

If we held people/governments accountable and were willing to ACT to do so- this shit wouldn't fly. We allow it to happen; plain and simple.

If we had the balls to take risks, putting ourselves in harms way, we would stop all of this shit in its tracks.

It really comes down to what our government is and should be but we have let go; or perhaps forgotten- "for, of and by the people." That never meant playing it safe and staying home merely voting and voicing ones opinions to so-called "representatives"; it always meant being willing to act and stand up- take to action against what we do not believe in and what we refuse to allow.

If every single person who was pissed about the ACA marched on Washington today and wouldn't budge until it was repealed, we would get it repealed. Period.

I realize this is much more complicated to really get behind and act on than just talk about, but history is our teacher here. Unless we stop them from walking all over us, they will continue to do so.

If we WANT something, we get together in strong numbers and TAKE it. Period. Force, whether physically violent (And I am not advocting physcial violence- please don't take it that way) or not is the only factor that truly affects change in the bigger picture. Think about the civil rights movement, Ghandi, etc.

Those willing to sacrifice for what is right and just will be the victors of the day. Likewise those willing to allow tyrrany and intrusions into our lives without actively fighting it and standing up against it- will reap what they sow.

It really only takes 3% (Critical mass) of a population to affect change (Less even, but 3% will always be enough to change things), they just have to act and not budge on their position. That's approximately 9 million Americans.

I would venture to guess their are WAY more than 9 million Americans who oppsse the ACA and are EXTREMELY pissed about it. But do they/we have the resolve and balls to do what is right and actually act to stop it? I am not sue anymore...

What we as people (Screw the political differences) need to do is be willing to sacrifice our easy and nice lifestyles momentarily to fight this crap.

The world is run by those who show up. We have not "Shown up" for quite some time- instead choosing to live comfrotably and momentarily safely; but that cannot last forever- if we do not take a stand soon- there will be no comfort in any of our lifestyles.

So who's willing to show up and take to action (Not talking about a violent conflict or revolution here- just merely willing to show up protest and not go home until we are victorious); we already know from hsitory that is what it takes- so who is willing to sacrifice their comfort for what is right?

ETA: One thing our government learned is that they can SLOWLY over long periods of time encroach on our liberty and take things away piece by piece, and we will be complacent to allow it to happen as long as they do not just up and take it in one fell swoop. They changed how they play the game, but we did not. If we would just stand up and say no, as a large group- we would have a real voice and affect change once again.

Boba Fett v2
11-08-13, 10:55
My wife & I both recently received letters from our private health insurance companies stating they will be dropping our plans. She shopped around for new plans for us & the cheapest plans she found, with less coverage, will cost us $150 more per month each.

FK you Obama. You can shove your meaningless apology up your ass. And FK all those who voted for this douchebag. May you feel the pain of your votes 100X more than those of us who didn't sell him our souls.

But this is what hope and change looks like. ;)

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

Caeser25
11-08-13, 16:33
Here's the elephant in the room NOBODY is asking. If he didn't know what was in it, who did? Congress didn't write it, we had to pass it to find out what was in it, so then, who wrote it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqbS0ApVK-Q

Javelin
11-08-13, 16:46
He has deleted more peoples health care plans than created. The President needs to own up and admit this whole thing was a mistake and make reparations. But that will never happen so I guess an "I'm sorry" will have to do Amerika.