PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Scout Mini(M300B) or Scout Ultra(600U)

dcashel
11-08-13, 06:39
Hi all,

I am looking to put a tactical light on my home defense AR15. I am looking at getting either the Surefire Scout Mini M300B (200 Lumens) or the Surefire Scout Ultra M600 (500 Lumens).

This light will be used on my home defense AR15. I am just not sure if the M600U with 500 lumens with be too much light to be used inside of my house?? My house is a large single story house with alot of large open areas.

Also, does anybody know of pictures or videos which show the light output of these two light inside of a house or other closed in area?? I have searched buy have not found any yet.

Thanks for you input....

jonconsiglio
11-08-13, 08:20
Once I got used to the 500 lumen lights, I don't want to go back to less. They work great indoor and out. If you're blasting your light into a white wall directly in front of your face, you're doing it wrong anyway. So, with proper light discipline, which should be maintained with any light, there's really no downside to the 500 lumen lights unless you just need a smaller one.

The big advantage of the 500 lumen lights isn't so much the center beam as it is the corona or peripheral lighting. A normal bedroom will light up to the point that you'll see the shadow areas you couldn't see before.

ggammell
11-08-13, 11:50
I'm very happy with 200. I'm getting the M300B very soon. I've used a G2X and it works great indoors and out. 500 to me seems too bright. You really gave to have your optic brightness cranked up to see it against over the light. Plus it's smaller and lighter. Never bad things on a fighting rifle.

Haley's YouTube channel has a nice video on lights indoors and out. I can get to the link right now buts a few months old. Helped me with my choice.

dcashel
11-08-13, 11:53
I have a aimpoint RDS. With the 200 lumen M300B will I be able to see my red dot or will the 200 lumens washout my red dot where I can not see it??

Trajan
11-08-13, 14:30
I have a aimpoint RDS. With the 200 lumen M300B will I be able to see my red dot or will the 200 lumens washout my red dot where I can not see it??

When you are setting up your red dot, adjust the brightness with the light on. If you set it up for ambient light, no matter how bright or dim your light is, it would wash out.

jonconsiglio
11-08-13, 17:41
I've seen that Haley video. The one where he's selling a 200 lumen light with his name on it.... ;)

EAG and a few others have some great AAR's of their shoot houses uses the Fury's and even the new 9 cell Fury's on a couple guns. No issues at all. The only way I could ever imagine that one could have issues with the light is due to improper use.

If you follow the simple fundamentals of low light, it's damn near impossible for it too be too bright.

Also, 200 vs 500 is not that much of a difference when talking the center of the beam. It's the overall lighting that is better, filling more shadow areas. Which is of great importance if you don't know where the target may be.

BigLarge
11-08-13, 17:51
I recently got the M600U and a F04-A diffuser. I do not find it to be to bright indoors. My aimpoint needs to be at 8 or 9 to make sure it doesnt wash out on white walls tho. The F04-A diffuser works well, i'll probably use it for indoor work. If you buy the M600U i'd recommend buying the diffuser, its only like 18 bucks.

If I can find a target i'll try to post some indoor pictures.

Korgs130
11-09-13, 17:27
I have a M300B on my BCM training/HD carbine and I'm very happy with it. More than enough light for my home and yard and the small weight savings vs the M550U is a plus. If I was a LEO with the possibility of illuminating potential target from longer distances outdoors I might consider the M500U or a X300U, but for my purposes the M300B seems perfect.

dcashel
11-11-13, 07:48
Thanks for all of the responses. Does anybody have any picture of the what the light beams of the Scout M300B or M600U look like indoors?

jpeezy
11-11-13, 19:47
Consider the sure fire x300u. It has the lumens, size, portability, and price point your looking for. There's no reason to put anything larger on an ar than this for the performance.

GTF425
11-13-13, 17:19
Not all lumens are created equal.

I'm running a Scout Ultra at work to replace my 200-lumen Scout. I have owned two Minis and I'll be perfectly honest:

The M600U is absolutely worth the coin. The spill is powerful in rooms and I can clearly PID target's hands at 35-40 meters and fully illuminate their surroundings. I use one on my home defense AR. It is definitely a tighter and more focused beam than the X300U and is very tough.

I love the M600U.

The Count
11-13-13, 17:57
I love my M600U. It puts enough light out in a nice focused beam that has a usable range out to about 150 yards. What really sold me on the light is I was able to see into a car with pitch black tints from ~80 yards away. I also don't find it to be too bright indoors.