PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got A LaRue Lately?

coastwatcher42
11-08-13, 07:13
I have tried for a long time to get my wife into shooting ARs. While she has been shooting an old Winchester .22 I have for many years, I could never get her into shooting black rifles. My daughter went out and bought herself an AR back in the summer and, since then, my wife has started shooting with us.

She is really starting to enjoy it and I have decided to get her an AR of her own. I want to get her a quality rifle and have been thinking about a LaRue. I called them yesterday and they said that, while wait times are coming down, it would still be "months". They would not elaborate any more than that. Months could mean two months, six months, or twelve months. I don't mind waithing until early spring to get it because my wife is still recovering from a heart attack and she doesn't like cold weather at all, so it will probably be at least March before she will want to do much shooting. My question is, has anyone gotten a rifle from LaRue lately and, if so, how long was the wait time?

Tzook
11-08-13, 08:45
My friend ordered one about a year ago pre-deployment, just got back home and they say he's in their "que" or whatever. At this point I would say 25-30 months easy

ccosby
11-08-13, 09:00
Larue has been trying to switch to making barrels internally which has really slowed them down(even more than usual). They haven't been happy with the quality yet. Last I heard they were offering people who were waiting for their rifles a "field" grade barrel and would then ship the match grade barrel at a later time for free.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/10/09/larue-offers-customers-free-beater-barrels-wait/

wilson1911
11-08-13, 09:27
Stay away from Larue is all I will say. You will not have it by march anyway. There are just as good options out there. If fit and finish and accuracy are a big factor for you, go Noveske. A soft shooter, then a KAC. For a rifle that will shoot well and take a beating just as much as the above, go Bravo company. BCM is a good rifle at a good price point.

If quality and performance are a main concern my choices would be a KAC, then Noveske. If your going to buy anything other than a KAC, do not pick one up and hold her or you will be taking her home. I am partial to KAC's for a reason. They are like a race horse waiting to be ran hard.

seb5
11-08-13, 09:39
For my wife I went with a BCM with pencil barrel and mid length. I agree with the above and that's as a Larue PredatAR owner who is very happy with my purchase, although it's from 2 years ago.

fourXfour
11-08-13, 09:52
I had a predatAR and it was a a really nice rifle. I also got it when it was $1450. I am much happier with my BCM. The main reason is I'm starting to tinker and it is just easier on a mil spec gun. I wasn't shooting much past 100 yards and I really didn't need anything more than a standard barrel.

My current set up is a lightweight 16 inch midlength barrel with a Geissele MK4 rail. It's light and recoil is minimal especially with a muzzle brake.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/edmateo50/1381692051_zpsaa9f1d72.jpg

coastwatcher42
11-08-13, 11:03
Stay away from Larue is all I will say. You will not have it by march anyway. There are just as good options out there. If fit and finish and accuracy are a big factor for you, go Noveske. A soft shooter, then a KAC. For a rifle that will shoot well and take a beating just as much as the above, go Bravo company. BCM is a good rifle at a good price point.

If quality and performance are a main concern my choices would be a KAC, then Noveske. If your going to buy anything other than a KAC, do not pick one up and hold her or you will be taking her home. I am partial to KAC's for a reason. They are like a race horse waiting to be ran hard.

I have a KAC SR-15 and a BCM Mid-16 Mod 0 and I love them both. I was just thinking about getting another top tier brand rather than duplicating something we already have. I've also been thinking about a Daniel Defense DD M4 V5. My wife likes the LaRue, though, because she is from Texas and likes the roll mark. I know that's not a very good reason for choosing a gun....but if it makes her happy.

fletchman
11-08-13, 11:55
Stay away from Larue is all I will say. You will not have it by
march anyway. There are just as good options out there. If fit and finish and accuracy are a big factor for you, go Noveske. A soft shooter, then a KAC. For a rifle that will shoot well and take a beating just as much as the above, go Bravo company. BCM is a good rifle at a good price point.

Are you being serious, I have owned and shot three KAC rifles over 2 grand and have sold them all, I don't care for them as shooters at all. I have owned BCM & DD same thing, got rid of them. Then I got a LaRue and there is simply no comparison. My AA Tactical Elite uppers outshot everything except the LaRue. I know that statement is going to spur a lot of angry comments, all I can say is shoot one and then talk to me. My DMR & my Stealth upper are the only ones that out performed my AA uppers, period.

товарищ
11-08-13, 11:58
Are you being serious, I have owned and shot three KAC rifles over 2 grand and have sold them all, I don't care for them as shooters at all. I gave owned BCM & DD same thing, got rid of them. Then I got a LaRue and there is simply no comparison. My AA Tactical Elite uppers outshot everything except the LaRue. I know that statement is going to spur a lot of angry comments, all I can say is shoot one and then talk to me. My DMR & my Stealth upper are the only ones that out performed my AA uppers, period.

What exactly are you talking about? Accuracy, build quality, or what?

SilverBullet432
11-08-13, 12:13
Hell larues rifle wait list is going on a year and a half right now. Damnit

cvann
11-08-13, 12:27
Any of the guns above are good choices. Larue will take over 2 years at this point, with the data we have (there is a tracking spreadsheet shared off of google drive). I have been on the waiting list for an OBR for 11 months. IMHO Larue is no better than KAC (I own and have taken classes with both). If you want to take a chance, LWRCi is making awesome guns right now, but the catch is they have a spotty track record with high owner turnover.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Alex V
11-08-13, 12:36
I love my LaRue PredatAR (26 weeks for delivery - April '12 - Oct '12) and have a OBR 7.62 on order from 5/13. I was told it will be "over a year". Im okay with that, I am not in any rush.

Having said that, there is no denying that KAC, BCM, Noveske an DD make excellent rifles and I would not think twice about owning one of them.

Boba Fett v2
11-08-13, 14:36
Are you being serious, I have owned and shot three KAC rifles over 2 grand and have sold them all, I don't care for them as shooters at all. I have owned BCM & DD same thing, got rid of them. Then I got a LaRue and there is simply no comparison. My AA Tactical Elite uppers outshot everything except the LaRue. I know that statement is going to spur a lot of angry comments, all I can say is shoot one and then talk to me. My DMR & my Stealth upper are the only ones that out performed my AA uppers, period.

Sounds like you're placing accuracy above all else, which is fine if that's what your desired end state is for an AR platform. But for a fighting carbine accuracy comes second to durability, reliability and handling. And those traits are bred into all of the above you just dismissed. I'll take a fighting carbine I can run hard over pretty little anorexic nail driver any day.

OP, if your wife is dead set on a LaRue then just be prepared for the long wait and get her one. I'd be happier than a queer in prison if my wife asked me to buy her a quality rifle, because that would mean I get to shoot it too.

fletchman
11-08-13, 15:48
What exactly are you talking about? Accuracy, build quality, or what?
I have not deployed with an AR or deployed at all. I have not used AR for work or duty. I have not torture tested my ARs or myself, I am simply talking about going to the range and shooting. I have no doubt that all of the ARs mentioned are high quality and perfect for someone that owns them. I am talking about my likes and dislikes. Whether or not thy will hold up under work conditions IDK but I assume so from reading what people that know more about the platform then I do.So all I'm talking about is my experience. I know full well that people on this forum do not like AA but I do, a lot and the two LaRue uppers that I traded for were the only uppers that I have used that were more impressive than my AA. I hope that clears up my answer.

fletchman
11-08-13, 15:53
Sounds like you're placing accuracy above all else, which is fine if that's what your desired end state is for an AR platform. But for a fighting carbine accuracy comes second to durability, reliability and handling. And those traits are bred into all of the above you just dismissed. I'll take a fighting carbine I can run hard over pretty little anorexic nail driver any day.

OP, if your wife is dead set on a LaRue then just be prepared for the long wait and get her one. I'd be happier than a queer in prison if my wife asked me to buy her a quality rifle, because that would mean I get to shoot it too.

I've never heard LaRue described as a pretty little anorexic nail driver and I did not dismiss any of the weapons. I'm not angry enough to call them names or dismiss them and I qualified what I said as my opinion of what I like. That has nothing at all to do with what you like although I can appreciate why you say you like them.

fletchman
11-08-13, 15:58
The last time I posted a comment about ARs, Iraqgunz told me that I just didn't get it. He was right then and that was 6-8 months ago.
In truth I like reading the posts but I don't get it and probably never will so I will leave it like that and apologize for hurting any ones feelings about their rifles.
I won't be responding so go ahead and have at it

Boba Fett v2
11-08-13, 16:04
The last time I posted a comment about ARs, Iraqgunz told me that I just didn't get it. He was right then and that was 6-8 months ago.
In truth I like reading the posts but I don't get it and probably never will so I will leave it like that and apologize for hurting any ones feelings about their rifles.
I won't be responding so go ahead and have at it

Um... yeah. Okay sure. I guess. Wait... what just happened? :confused:

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

cvann
11-08-13, 19:15
Um... yeah. Okay sure. I guess. Wait... what just happened? :confused:

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

One dude said his toy was better than everyone else's, then the other kids disagreed. Then he tried to apologize..... I think.

Bigninja
11-08-13, 20:29
Larue makes some good stuff, but I'd rather go with something else since I'm impatient. Anything from kac/bcm/dd/noveske should be just fine.

Javelin
11-08-13, 21:04
I've thought about the Larue 762 (or wait for the KAC762 to be produced) but I'm not waiting years for a non NFA weapon (or anything for that matter). Having waited through 3 Noveske form 4 transfers, 4 muffler transfers, 3 form 1's, and a Tromix build, I'm done with waiting lists. It's just not worth it to me anymore. Mark needs to start kicking out rifles but I digress... It's a lost cause and I will just skip the 7.62x52 platform.

RWH24
11-08-13, 22:51
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3939067/Re_Larue_OBR_lite#Post3939067

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711623/My_Larue_PredatOBR_arrived#Post4711623

This fella, John is/was a LaRue dealer in Carrolton, Tx.

http://www.jptensports.com/Contact_Information.html

wilson1911
11-08-13, 23:17
If you reread my post, I said nothing about the quality of a Larue rifle. All I stated was be prepared for a really long wait. I personally will never deal with Mark again. I have owned all the rifles except larue's.
I was trying to steer the original poster towards a different brand of rifle because I know what time frame he would be looking at. Glad you made a good choice on the rifle. Now get to looking at some new upgrades for it.

And a big congrats for getting your wife into shooting !!!

tommyrott
11-08-13, 23:30
coastwatcher42 you should also check out grant's store cuz he seem's to run some preety nice deals, like recently he offered a colt with a barrel swap to mid length which would give you a soft shooter , or one of the BCM specials he feature's, there's a LOT of equal or better with out a years wait

KingsideRook
11-09-13, 00:00
If I were going to buy complete, instead of build, a tackdriver (just bought a BCM SS410 barrel for the next one) I wouldn't be able to recommend a rifle from a manufacturer with a 2-year backlog. Even if someone offered to sell me a complete LaRue rifle at a fair price tomorrow, I'd pass. Sure, if it were an unbelievable steal, that's a different story.

I always consider what service will be like if I need a part or repair. Excepting the last panic buying sprees, I know I'd get a fair chance at fast service with a warranty issue from most of the manufacturers in the industry, but I wouldn't bet it would run that smoothly when the manufacturer in question can't fill a new order for 24 months. I don't want to wed my potential warranty issue to that sort of production backlog, from any manufacturer.

Country DeVil
11-09-13, 01:11
I ordered a predatAR in Nov and was told it was an 8-10 month wait. its almost a year now, I made it this far I'll keep waiting.

Cylinder Head
11-09-13, 11:44
To the guy who sold his Noveske and KAC for a LaRue, do you have some sort of unique nervous system that makes you extremely sensitive to minute changes in rifle characteristics? I own a Noveske and a KAC and I've put about 100 rounds through a PredatAR, they're all on the same level and the differences are as minute as it gets in that stratus.

That said, I will buy a LaRue the day I can make a call and have one at my place in a week max. Until then, happy waiting guys.

basilhayden
11-09-13, 13:16
The only thing I have to add is that about five days ago I was thinking about a complete rifle vs. building the Noveske that I was planning on doing. I started looking at the Larue and SR15. I liked the looks of the larue, but in the climate we are living in right now, I don't want to be stuck with an SBR as my only AR (unless I want to take back my LMT from my girlfriend, which she wouldn't like). Too much can happen in a year much less two years. So, I started asking around about the KAC and everything people were saying about it was music to my ears. I found one at GunGallery and jumped on it. It arrives Monday. In a perfect world, I'd have an SR15, Noveske, and Larue sitting in my safe someday.

StevieJ309
11-09-13, 14:34
My suggestion would be to order the Larue since that's what she really wants and just get her something else to use in the mean time.

cvann
11-09-13, 16:22
My suggestion would be to order the Larue since that's what she really wants and just get her something else to use in the mean time.

Wisdom...

El Cid
11-09-13, 17:22
OP,

I have 2 PredatARs (5.56 & 7.62). They've been great but admittedly both have low round counts. The 556 was bought with the intent of it serving as the rifle of my future spouse or gf. It's very light and easy to shoot for smaller stature shooters. I've taught a couple women to shoot using it and they didn't want to give it back. Neither of these friends had prior experience shooting before that day.

I will admit the delays would be frustrating if I were shopping now. Honestly I'd probably just build something using very light weight parts if I needed a rifle for that purpose now. If she likes the Texas roll mark you might look into something with custom engraving options. You could even get a custom serial number that commemorates her birthday, your anniversary, etc. You can also Cerakote parts or buy parts in a color scheme she likes if you build from scratch.

York Arms offers such things and I bet they'd engrave a Lone Star state shape or design.
http://www.yorkarms.com/receiver.html

The other companies already mentioned are superb options and I'd even offer up the rifles Rainier Arms makes as another possibility. Good luck and congrats on having a significant other who enjoys shooting with you!

SwatDawg15
11-10-13, 13:35
Im never caught on to the Larue craze.. I'm had Colt, BCM, Noveske, and DD Weapon systems and to be honest, they all just flat out work. My patrol rifle is a DDM4 V5LW and its has been put threw all kinds of hell. Its very accurate for an AR. I personally would not pay the money, or wait for a Larue. In fact, with Marks attitude as of late I really not sure I would support his products at all. Other then his Sniper targets, I cannot really think of anything he makes that is any better then some other companies. I have several of his mounts, and while they are good.. My ADM ones are too.

At the end of the day its your money and your wives happiness on the line, so act accordingly. But simply put there are better options out there available.

coastwatcher42
11-10-13, 14:57
In fact, with Marks attitude as of late I really not sure I would support his products at all.

What has his attitude been? I don't know that I have heard anything.

sua175
11-10-13, 15:07
Mark Laue has lost my business forever, I have even went as far as too replace my two existing larue optic mounts (T-1 and a lt194) that had served me well over 3 years with new ADM stuff. I dislike how he runs his business ( recent pretobr debacle) and how he carries himself in public ( over at barfcom). If you are looking for a light weight option for women there are plenty of options, the BCM EAG HS rifle comes to mind.

I like to know my money is going to the right place. If you don't care were your money goes and really want a predetar then buy it. I shot a buds predetar two years ago and it was a very nice rifle. I cannot speak of their recent quality.

monadh
11-11-13, 10:52
I had a 20 inch OBR5.56 but sold it. Fit was subpar, accuracy was subpar, and reliability was subpar. Finish was beautiful. Construction quality was beautiful. I bought it based on testimony of the Larueminati, and that was stupid on my part.

Completely happy with my Colt and Armalites.

SilverBullet432
11-15-13, 16:26
Index clips with handstop on sale, ordered this morning, got a tracking # already :dance3:

Rekkr870
12-02-13, 19:07
I had a 20 inch OBR5.56 but sold it. Fit was subpar, accuracy was subpar, and reliability was subpar. Finish was beautiful. Construction quality was beautiful. I bought it based on testimony of the Larueminati, and that was stupid on my part.

Completely happy with my Colt and Armalites.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/03/5y6a7aqa.jpg

I love this picture.

Agnostic
12-02-13, 19:38
You might consider something like a Noveske Rogue Hunter. It has a lighter profile SS barrel and runs a little cheaper than some of their other rifles.

Just a thought.

fido4x
12-02-13, 20:37
High end is great. My wife and daughter shoot my Colt M4 and they like it.

seb5
12-03-13, 05:19
That said, I will buy a LaRue the day I can make a call and have one at my place in a week max. Until then, happy waiting guys.

I understand that but wouldn't that also eliminate Noveske at the present time, and for the last year or so?