PDA

View Full Version : Limited space setup

nimdabew
11-08-13, 15:30
I need some help trying to figure out how to fit my press into a 1 bedroom apartment that I split with my girl friend. The sapce I want to fit it in is about 3-4 feet wide at best, and that is after convincing her to give up half of her shoe storage space so I can do firearm related stuff there instead. I don't have high hopes for that. Is there any type of confined space setup that I can either store somewhere out of the way or small desk on wheels? I need some help here since I don't really know what to loo for for small compact reloading setups since my press used to be attached to a big wooden work bench.

The press: Dillon SDB
The space: 3-4 feet wide in a walk in closet

Solutions? I can take pictures if you need me to.

sinister
11-08-13, 18:53
Put it on a Dillon Strong Mount on a tool stand:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_16928.jpg

Bullets, brass, powder, and primers will fit on the shelves under the press.

I had my 550 on one for many, many military moves between my own houses, military housing, and rentals.

Malig8r
11-08-13, 20:15
When I was in your position I went to Lowes and bought a sheet of 3/4 plywood had them cut it it half and took it home. Stained and sealed it and attached some of those folding legs you find on card tables. It folded up quite discreetly when not in use and as Sinister stated, I purchased a strong mount to place atop the table. Worked out very well. You could also try to use one of these:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/WM425.aspx

Tennvol12345
11-08-13, 21:12
Black and Decker folding work bench. I've loaded thousands of rounds with a 550b mounted to one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Bimmer
11-09-13, 00:46
I need some help trying to figure out how to fit my press into a 1 bedroom apartment that I split with my girl friend.

Just don't.

Either move to a bigger place, or find another space where you can reload.

I'm a gun "enthusiast," but if the two of you are living in one-bedroom apartment, then moving up should be a much higher priority than shoe-horning a press into the space you have.

duece71
11-09-13, 06:09
Just don't.

Either move to a bigger place, or find another space where you can reload.

I'm a gun "enthusiast," but if the two of you are living in one-bedroom apartment, then moving up should be a much higher priority than shoe-horning a press into the space you have.

This.....find more space to reload, the frustration level will be much lower.

Steel head
11-09-13, 13:06
Black and Decker folding work bench. I've loaded thousands of rounds with a 550b mounted to one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I use the same B&D bench, I added some extra supports to stiffen it up though.
It folds up and is pretty convenient.

SteveL
11-09-13, 13:33
I don't know how well it works, but I've heard of people putting presses on stands like this one for a bench grinder.

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

shootist~
11-10-13, 11:44
I agree with concentrating on getting a bigger place.

Having said that, my first reloading efforts were on the kitchen table. 12 ga press mounted to a board and that unit C-Clamped to the table. But pretty soon after, my wife kicked me into the garage - we were in our first/starter home by that time. A used (freebie) metal desk became my first reloading bench.

nimdabew
11-11-13, 12:49

I would, but I am working a crap job right now and she is still in medical school. As soon as she starts earning positive income, we are going to rent a house or possibly start thinking about buying. For now, it is some kind of compromise.

Bimmer
11-11-13, 12:54
I would, but I am working a crap job right now and she is still in medical school. As soon as she starts earning positive income, we are going to rent a house or possibly start thinking about buying. For now, it is some kind of compromise.

So, for now, it sounds like you're buying factory ammo.

Wait to start reloading until you have the space to do it — keep in mind, too, the big start-up costs, which is money that it sounds like you should be spending on other things (like food and clothing and rent).

Alternatively, ask around whether you can borrow a corner of a friend/relative's garage/shed/basement, or best of all, find somebody with a press who will let you use it with your dies and components. That's how I started, and it was ridiculously cheap and easy.

markm
11-11-13, 12:58
Alternatively, ask around whether you can borrow a corner of a friend/relative's garage/shed/basement,

This! When I was apartment living, I had my press at my Dad's house. Partner with a fellow shooter maybe...

Bimmer
11-11-13, 13:07
Me, too. I started reloading when I was in college, living with my parents, and totally broke...

My then-girlfriend's father was a reloader, and he taught me how to use his RL550B and let me use it. It only cost me a couple hundred bucks to buy dies, toolheads, and the first round of components, which immediately paid for itself in loaded ammo. I was hooked...

nimdabew
11-11-13, 13:32
Wait to start reloading until you have the space to do it — keep in mind, too, the big start-up costs, which is money that it sounds like you should be spending on other things (like food and clothing and rent).

Start up costs are about nil since I bought a press a while back and I have all the dies and everything to start reloading except for components minus brass. I just need something sturdy to attach it to. It doesn't cost me anything to keep it in a box, but I would like to start reloading again since it will save in the long run.

The reason why we are in a 1 bedroom right now isn't the money so much, but location for her rotations in a downtown area. I am saving 5500 a year right now in my roth so money isn't a huge problem if it really came down to it.

Bimmer
11-11-13, 13:38
... I have all the dies and everything to start reloading except for components minus brass...

That's a lot of money. Assuming that you're buying in bulk, figure $1,000 or more per caliber for the first round of components.

If money's not a problem, then pay to buy factory ammo, or pay the rent to move to a bigger apartment.

markm
11-11-13, 13:42
A square deal B probably isn't too big of a pain to use in a smaller area. And you do have the right to WANT to load for the enjoyment. ;)

Are you able to tumble/clean brass?

Bimmer
11-11-13, 13:47
Are you able to tumble/clean brass?

Here's the problem... my reloading bench is only 4' wide, and it probably only really needs to be 3' wide, but I also need floor space for the tumbler (nevermind that tumbling in living space is a big no-no), and I have half a 3' wide shelving unit full of components, dies, tools, ammo boxes, etc.

So, finding space for the press itself is the least of your problems...

markm
11-11-13, 14:06
He could really hand rinse and dry some brass for start up. I wouldn't even waste time vibratory tumbling in an apartment setting. A wet tumbler would be good, but I don't like pooring that nasty ass water down any drain in my house.

Pork Chop
11-11-13, 14:08
I'll throw in here. I'm currently using a utility room, since its what I have at the moment. Total space at my disposal is half of a utility room, which leaves a usable 4x6'.
I built a 3'x1' bench into the corner which is screwed to the wall. It's really more of a reinforced shelf made from 2x4 and plywood.

Above this I mounted a garage type tool cabinet that measures 3x2x1. I use buckets stacked in the corner to hold brass in various stages. My components, books & tools go in the cabinet. A folding chair and a radio make it complete.

Point is, you can reload in the tiniest of spaces. Does it suck? Yep. Is it workable? Definitely.

I do tumble brass in the garage, though. You already know why.

If you want pics, I can snap some tomorrow and post them.

markm
11-11-13, 14:24
I use buckets stacked in the corner to hold brass in various stages. My components, books & tools go in the cabinet. A folding chair and a radio make it complete.

Stackable totes of some kind are priceless for reloading. I stand up for my 550b, but my single stage seating arrangement is a 5 gal paint bucket.... and I wouldn't change a thing.

mkmckinley
11-15-13, 07:01
When I started loading I was doing it in a two bedroom apartment with a roomate so like the OP there wasn't much room. I ended up mounting my 550B to a 3/4" piece of plywood using a strong mount. When I wanted to load I'd just C-clamp it to the end of the kitchen counter. The whole thing plus components fit into the utility closet on the balcony.

cwgibson
12-07-13, 22:56
This served me well when I was in an apartment.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155024/frankford-arsenal-portable-reloading-stand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thump_rrr
12-12-13, 01:32
My bench is 3' wide, 4-1/2' wide including the side cabinet.
It was made using 2 sections of IKEA cabinets and an Ikea butcher block top.
I have more detailed pics on how the bucher block is fastened to the cabinet.
It doesn't move even a fraction of an inch even on sizing the largest cartridges.
My progressive press is facing the cabinet so the whole reloading setup has lost its initial stealth.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Thump_rrr/Bench1_zps21ad4928.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Thump_rrr/media/Bench1_zps21ad4928.jpg.html)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Thump_rrr/DSCN0593.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Thump_rrr/media/DSCN0593.jpg.html)

TheAxeShooter
12-21-13, 23:08
I bought the exact table in one of the first posts from harbor freight for $25. It works pretty well for me. Although I tend to set some stuff on the kitchen table as well and clean up when I'm done.