PDA

View Full Version : No BS: LaRue SPR v ADM v Bobro

Pax
11-08-13, 23:34
I like to do most of my research myself and post as few unnecessary threads as possible. Unfortunately Im at a loss for an answer with the current state of info on 1-4x24 optic mounts here and on various other sites so here goes. This forum has always been an excellent source of the least bullshit possible, featuring industry professionals who actually have answers for questions that could only be posed by informed, discerning consumers- and so I come here asking for a no BS assessment, no fanboyism and absolutely no half-assed, subjective or misinforming and always somehow profoundly-flawed explanations of advanced technical information on lapping, threaded inserts, linear distribution of force, etc. etc. Here are my specific questions:

LaRue advertises that their SPR mounts feature threaded steel inserts for their ring screws. Ive always been a fan of not screwing into aluminum alloys if possible, but in this application, is the insert big/well shaped enough in the ring to make a difference? Have there been that significant a number of ADM or other rings with aluminum threads stripping out? I have never had a LaRue mount before and would appreciate some input from someone who knows...

Are the extra screws on the ADM rings that valuable? I understand that long range precision is a game of eliminating the most minute variances because downrange they translate into combat ineffective accuracy, but I also understand that LaRue mounts have proven themselves behind some of the mot impressive long range shooting ever accomplished so... of what benefit are extra screws?

I see built in bolts and hex nuts on the Bobro rings. Do the engineering wizards at Bobro believe steel threads are not necessary? Are they steel inserts? Whats the deal with Bobro, bro? Yeah, they use a lot of terms on their website that seem to indicate a wealth of mechanical understanding and badassedness, but is it really $40 or so more awesome or will a LaRue SPR work just fine and all I'll notice about the Bobro is the more bulky QD lever?

I love tool-less adjustment of my ADM mounted accessories, but do not believe it is a deal breaker and if the LaRue product has steel inserts and theyre substantially more awesome, then naturally that takes precedence. Ive somehow managed to never loose any of the springs from my ADM mounts in the past, so thats not a concern. Weight is comparable enough to not be an issue to me. I do not believe that any of these products, LaRue or otherwise, will significantly mar my upper, dont bother telling me they will. I am aware that these are all decent options that get the job done for most people and that I often overthink just about everything; given that there is a marginal difference between their prices, I'd like to spend my money on the best of the best as I expect anyone would. So. Which is it?

Thanks for helpful input.

wild_wild_wes
11-09-13, 10:30
The latest ADM mounts only have two screws each side now.

All these mounts are excellent; the choice is up to you.

That being said, I just finished replacing all my Larues with ADMs. (four full scope mounts, one T1 and one M68 mount, and even the bipod mount)

The Bobro has a great reputation from what I've researched, but after buying one ADM I gave it the nod. The ADM is a bit less expensive, a big factor for me, since I needed several.

Javelin
11-09-13, 11:05
I like both my ADM and Larue mounts. Neither has given me any issues taking on and off. I don't think screws matter much as I loctite them in anyway, they aren't coming off. ADM makes a solid product.

TehLlama
11-09-13, 14:11
LT, ADM, Bobro, and GDI are all overbuilt for the purpose on most occasions, with somewhat minor details making the difference to me. I prefer the design of the non-LT units, but things like steel thread inserts make the LT attractive. Weight/cost is the only reason I don't have any Bobro mounts anymore, really just ADM's and a few LT units at this point.

TomF
11-09-13, 14:18
You really can't go wrong. I have used and abused mounts from all three of them and none of them have lost zero, they have all maintained zero after removal, and have been generally unobtrusive and one less thing I have to worry about. I would use any of them with confidence. I have moved mounts around on different optics and I've never experiences any issues with thread coils (or direct threading) loosening, stripping, etc.

There are some general preferences (or outright love/hate) for certain companies, but all the of the products perform.

RHINOWSO
11-09-13, 14:59
I've owned Larue and ADM mounts. All I own now are ADM mounts. Fit, finish, rock solid, and easy to adjust.

I re-zeroed my 17 yesterday for mk319 - simple Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x in an AD-RECON-S. After firing about 50rds, I removed the scope and zeroed the irons at 100, then remounted the scope. Perfect return to zero.

SomeOtherGuy
11-10-13, 21:22
The latest ADM mounts only have two screws each side now.

All these mounts are excellent; the choice is up to you.

+1

I own a bunch of ADM (7 currently and one more I sold to a friend) and one Bobro. Happy with both brands. ADM feels more rugged and costs less, Bobro feels almost artistic in how it's designed and finished. I'm not terribly hard on my guns but have read plenty of good reviews on both from people who are. Have likewise read plenty of positive reviews on Larue, but I don't like their mechanism so don't own any of them.

For typical uses with reasonable expectations of return to zero, I'd choose any of them. If return to zero was a crucial issue, I'd be considering the much more expensive options from American Rifle Company, GDI, or Spuhr.

thehun
11-10-13, 21:25
I have ADM on my PRO...love it

Voodoo_Man
11-10-13, 21:33
I did a review of the LT SPR mount for a Leupold VX-R Patrol.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/10/leupold-vx-r-patrol-125-4x20-firedot-on.html

http://i.imgur.com/XWcFeeg.jpg

I have had LT mounts for ever and a day, I will continue to have LT mounts for as long as they make them. A little bit more pricey, but never had an issue with them.

ronald
11-11-13, 09:41
Which one of these mounts gets the scope forward for the extra long eye relief?
I have the Larue SPR1.5 with a USO 1-8 and its mounted on the last notch of the receiver, I feel that this scope should be mounted a little further to get the perfect eye relief.
Thanks

cop1211
11-11-13, 12:19
I've had all 3, never had an issue from any if them, I like the Bobro for its locking mechanism, I also simply like the looks of the Bobro, very refined with alot of attention to detail.
Can't go wrong with any if them.
I rank them as such.

Bobro
ADM
LARUE

Failure2Stop
11-11-13, 13:07
I've had ADM lose zero/shift and require re-torquing after some use. After the initial re-seat they were ok. Maybe mine were gen 1.5 and not indicative of the current product, I don't know.
I like the way that Bobro mounts interface with the rail and require no adjustment to work with anything that is anywhere near spec.
I would rate them: Bobro, LaRue, ADM
That doesn't make the ADM the "worst", but rather the third-best QD mount.

RHINOWSO
11-11-13, 16:14
Which one of these mounts gets the scope forward for the extra long eye relief?
I have the Larue SPR1.5 with a USO 1-8 and its mounted on the last notch of the receiver, I feel that this scope should be mounted a little further to get the perfect eye relief.
Thanks

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/8/

Or this

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/5/

gun71530
11-11-13, 16:23
You really can't go wrong with any of the above mounts. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The Count
11-13-13, 18:00
Might not seem like a big deal but if weight is a concern ADM is the heaviest out of the three, with Larue being the lightest.

HD1911
11-15-13, 08:08
I'm running the GDI qd mount with my T1 and absolutely love it. I've never had even a slight POI Shift after having removed the setup many times.

I've owned the LaRue and GDI, and without question I much prefer the GDI.