PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff's Detective wounded at gun range

platoonDaddy
11-09-13, 08:30
This occurred in St Mary's County Maryland, will be interesting to read the results of the investigation. So far the type of firearm and holster hasn't been published.

“It was not self-inflicted, [and] he was not shot by someone else,” Black said. “What made the weapon discharge is still being reviewed and under investigation, ... to determine what caused the weapon to go off.”

http://www.somdnews.com/article/20131107/NEWS/131109386/1074/st-mary-x2019-s-detective-wounded-by-gunshot&template=southernMaryland

CoryCop25
11-09-13, 08:33
This article tells us absolutely nothing.
Was the weapon benched? Was it in his holster (like the PA state trooper 2 years ago)?

SkiDevil
11-09-13, 09:40
There was an incident in San Bernardino CA at the SB CO. Dept.'s range where a female Detective was training and initially it was said that a round ricochet off steel and struck her in the head.

After the investigation was completed it was determined the Officer shot herself, however several months passed before the information was released to the public. Something similar may have occurred there.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jun/16/local/me-47074

platoonDaddy
11-09-13, 13:30
This article tells us absolutely nothing.

There has been about four press releases on the accident and basically covering the same info. Did learn he has been a LEO for 13 years.

That has been the only press release regarding the accident

CoryCop25
11-09-13, 14:08
I just find it interesting that this was newsworthy with no information.
We had a local trooper injured when his pistol discharged in his holster.
The brass was quick to blame the trooper for the incident. Thank God for video cameras because the incident happened in the parking lot of the barracks.
What happened was the SHI$$y Gould and Goodrich holster they are issued broke and the piece that locks the pistol into the holster by gripping the trigger guard was floating around in the holster and pressed the trigger and sent a 200 grain Gold Dot hollowpoint into his thigh.
I am hoping that this incident was due to similar circumstances instead of human error.

tb-av
11-09-13, 14:11
Sounds like to me he got his shirt or something hung on the trigger and subsequent movement pulled the trigger past breaking point. He was shot in his right leg.

So unless someone else put his gun on him how was it not self inflicted?