PDA

View Full Version : Baselayers: synthetic, or wool?

wild_wild_wes
11-09-13, 10:04
Winter is coming.

Which type of skin-contact base layer do you prefer; polyester like the ECWCS system, or a merino wool type?

rushca01
11-09-13, 10:17
Merino wool 100 percent. It's biggest advantage is it doesn't stink. It's all I wear for base layers.

MrCleanOK
11-09-13, 10:19
I prefer synthetic, but wore silk while deployed. I don't find wool as comfortable if I break a sweat.

Sent from my phone with my giant, uncoordinated sausage thumbs.

coil
11-09-13, 11:09
I live in Montana and work in the elements much of the year. No contest wool is the best. I wore under Armour For a couple years then switched to filson alaskan heavy weight, best money I've spent in a long time. +1 on smell I haven't washed it since last winter and still doesn't smell

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

veovius
11-09-13, 11:21
I use a ski-type merino wool turtleneck style base layer. I wear it under a vest 12 hours a day. Very comfortable and manages heat very well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

wild_wild_wes
11-09-13, 11:39
I have a set of the ECWCS stuff I used a couple times for snowshoeing last year (my first time out in the snow). On my long hike temps went from 17 degrees to 34 in about 3 and a half hours. I was warm enough, but did build up a sweat. The other day at Costco I they had merino wool base layers at a good price and I wanted to know if it was worth buying a set.

USMC_Anglico
11-09-13, 11:54
Another vote for merino wool. I have been issued lots of poly ECWCS gear and I still choose to buy wool base layers with my own $. I use both smartwool and arcteryx. shirts, both short and long sleeve and boxer briefs. I don't bother with bottoms, as I heat up enough. Wool socks too.

crusher613
11-09-13, 13:24
Merino wool also. I wear it while winter backpacking in NC. Sleeping in synthetic bag with temps down to the mid-low teens. I sweat a lot and my UA cold gear would hold that smell. Not an issue with wool. I also have a few pieces of Capilene by Patagonia which I also like. I would take either of these two.

ggammell
11-09-13, 13:59
I love under at our but if you're not moving it's almost useless. It really requires a lot of body heat to do its thing. If you're going to be active, either will be a great choice. If you're going to be pretty sedentary wool might be a better option.

TripIII
11-09-13, 15:26
Another vote for Merino wool. I've used wool for hiking and camping for almost 2 years now and like USMC_Anglico said I prefer it to my issued ECWCS gear. Minus33 is decent quality and tends to be a little cheaper than smartwool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

LSK
11-09-13, 15:30
There is good wool at least 17.5 micron. And there is bad uncomfortable wool, same with the synthetics. I don't know how sensitive you are and under what conditions you will be using it. Best thing to do is just get a couple pieces of what looks good to you and test it your self under the conditions that are important to you.

UDT
11-09-13, 16:44
Another vote for Merino wool.

rm06
11-09-13, 17:11
I have a bit of experience mountain hunting with both, I use only merino wool now. When the wool gets soaked with sweat it can smell like a wet dog but it is far better than the extreme funkadelic body odor I get with synthetics.

Bourneshooter
11-09-13, 17:11
Can't complain about the Patagonia Capiline system.

Travelingchild
11-09-13, 22:56
Please define "winter in Sacramento Ca." Is this for casual wear, chasing bad guys(strenuous activities)? Hunting? What's the humidity like wet or dry cold?
In my area Wyoming layers of silk/wool rule for outdoor activities, It's a dry cold/snow so down parka's with a hood are great,(having a parka without a hood is idiotic). In the Sierra's wet snow makes down worthless. Need a rescue on El Cap. and the Rangers find out you're decked out in the latest down gear(worthless when wet) you get cited for stupidity etc.

eaboecke
11-09-13, 23:17
I bought my own wool and wore it in place of issue ECWS when I was stationed at Fort Wainwright. I prefer it for the fact that it retains insulating ability after getting wet. That being said poly works just not as nice, IMHO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

wild_wild_wes
11-09-13, 23:29
Please define "winter in Sacramento Ca." Is this for casual wear, chasing bad guys(strenuous activities)? Hunting? What's the humidity like wet or dry cold?
In my area Wyoming layers of silk/wool rule for outdoor activities, It's a dry cold/snow so down parka's with a hood are great,(having a parka without a hood is idiotic). In the Sierra's wet snow makes down worthless. Need a rescue on El Cap. and the Rangers find out you're decked out in the latest down gear(worthless when wet) you get cited for stupidity etc.

Casual snowshoeing, as I said. Up in the Sierras around Donner Summit.

hiro
11-09-13, 23:49
When hiking or mountain biking I've found that merino doesn't wick as well as synthetics but I prefer merino. I find it warmer and more comfortable.

Travelingchild
11-09-13, 23:55
Casual snowshoeing, as I said. Up in the Sierras around Donner Summit. Missed it, my bad. One other thing If you ever need to dry out by a campfire/cabin wood stove. Wool is somewhat fire resistant and you can get closer to heat source in your base layers. synthetics have a nasty habit of catching on fire and melting into your skin(remember The Falklands when the ships were on fire?)

PatEgan
11-10-13, 17:09
Without a doubt, merino wool.
My experience is with several pieces of Arc'teryx and Icebreaker.
Pat

Voodoo_Man
11-10-13, 17:16
+1 for merino wool

I wear it on duty in the winter, I usually get slightly hot because of it.

HardToHandle
11-10-13, 19:07
My go-to for these situations is old Uncle-Sugar issued wool uppers and lowers. Not quite merino, but pretty comfortable.

I also have tried various polypros and the Patagonia Capaline. My purchase at the end of the cold season last year was a several different weights of DriFire long john bottoms in lieu of the polypro. My rationale was never feeling good about poly wrapped around my sensitive areas, especially when interacting with gasoline (snow blowers, etc.). DriFire seemed a decent combo between wool and polypro; limited wear so far found it worked.

Greenhead308
11-14-13, 13:27
I like the Patagonia synthetic base layers.

wild_wild_wes
11-14-13, 16:28
Well I just went to Costco again, and a close look at the box said the fabric is "84% Polyester, 11% Merino, 5% Spandex".

That doesn't really qualify as a "merino wool" garment, does it?

RyanB
11-14-13, 18:04
I like silk as a base, merino mid, and synthetic shells--exception being my surplus wool pants if the rain isn't bad.

AKDoug
11-15-13, 00:03
Another vote for merino wool. I've retired all my synthetics and switched over. Performance has been on par with anything else, and nothing beats merino for battling smell.

L84Cabp
11-15-13, 00:20
Synthetic. Wool makes me itch. Even the high end IceBreaker stuff.

CRAMBONE
11-15-13, 01:09
Incase you guys didn't know, Smartwool gives a pretty bad ass .mil/gov discount from their website. Create an account and send a copy of your ID.

Dead Man
11-15-13, 01:32
For cold/high energy, always wicking synthetic compression fit against the skin, then synthetic insulating "base," if needed, above it. I keep my layers as peel-able as possible; so unless it's less than negative single digits, I usually just wear light base under shell, and insulating layers over shell when needed. I'd rather be chilly but drier when stopped than soaked through.

The trick to staying warm in the cold when you're wet is firstly wicking, and secondly making sure water is not allowed to vaporize directly off the skin. You stay a lot more comfortable when the water evaporates off your base first, not to mention stay warmer during lulls in exertion.

cqbdriver
11-15-13, 19:35
Article comparing the two - Comfort and Moisture Transport in Lightweight Wool and Synthetic Base Layers

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/comfort_moisture_transport_wool_synthetic_clothing.html#.UobLFrK9KK0

tb-av
11-15-13, 20:37
REI is having a SmartWool sale.

Cameron
11-25-13, 15:20
There are a ton of reasons why Merino as a base layer is preferable to synthetic. Kyle Defoor did some interesting testing in regard to the flammability of the various fabrics, and gave information on why he prefers Merino in a Youtube video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwPXEw8ew9o)

Personally I now only use 100% Merino (Ice Breaker, Survival, Smartwool) FYI Icebreaker now has a "hunting" line here (http://us.icebreaker.com/Hunting-Fishing/mens-hunting-fishing,en,sc.html?viewAll=true) if you may have tried "Merino Wool" in the past, go and try on some of the new Merino garments from Icebreaker I think most people will be hooked on how it feels and performs. I used to use them only for cold out door activities but after trying the Icebreaker underwear line I now prefer then to cotton for everyday use as Merino is actually more comfortable in hot weather.

Cameron

superr.stu
11-25-13, 18:54
At work (read active most of my day) I strongly prefer Mizuno Breath Thermo gear. Moves moisture away, keeps me warm when I need to be but not hot, and I don't get chilled in it if i do work up a sweat and slow down. For general outdoor activity (or when temps really dip) hunting, fishing, shooting ect... Merino easily wins.