PDA

View Full Version : AR in 6 WOA?

khc3
11-09-13, 10:58
I am interested in this caliber for a med-long range precision upper (or just barrel, preferably) for informal target shooting/load development.

Will be shooting mostly at max of 600 yds, but hopefully further out in the future. I already have a 6.8, so I have an adequate collection of mags, and an appropriate lower/trigger/buttstock for it. Just looking for something flatter shooting for just the cost of a barrel/bolt and glass.

I have an email in to WOA asking about barrel availability, so hopefully I'll hear something soon, but looking for any experiences with this caliber. Searches didn't turn up anything real recent.

GLShooter
11-11-13, 21:01
I am interested in this caliber for a med-long range precision upper (or just barrel, preferably) for informal target shooting/load development.

Will be shooting mostly at max of 600 yds, but hopefully further out in the future. I already have a 6.8, so I have an adequate collection of mags, and an appropriate lower/trigger/buttstock for it. Just looking for something flatter shooting for just the cost of a barrel/bolt and glass.

I have an email in to WOA asking about barrel availability, so hopefully I'll hear something soon, but looking for any experiences with this caliber. Searches didn't turn up anything real recent.

No WOA experience but I have reams of it on the 6X6.8 Back Hole chambering including a one shot 600+ yard antelope kill with one. It has a bit more case capacity than the WOA and is loaded with standard bushing dies.

Greg

khc3
11-13-13, 15:05
What bullets are you using? Can you feed 95gr SMKs from an AR mag with it?

GLShooter
11-13-13, 15:46
What bullets are you using? Can you feed 95gr SMKs from an AR mag with it?

Yes you can. I have been shooting mostly 87's at range. Just picked up the 95 SMK's the other day. I have shot the Sierra 90 GK's with good luck.

Greg

khc3
11-14-13, 18:48
What barrel length are you using? What is parts availability like?

WOA said 6+ mos for a barrel, so that's a deterrent.

GLShooter
11-14-13, 19:36
Black Hole is 10-12 weeks according to the owner.

Greg

Bigun
12-05-13, 18:11
I'm currently having an upper made for me in 6mm Fat Rat. The round is based on the 6.5 grendel necked down with the shoulders and sidewalls blown out. Main bullet is a 107grain Berger or SMK. Claimed velocities are 27-2800fps but I dont know for sure what barrel length it takes to reach them. I went with a Wilson 20" 1in8 twist HBAR profile. Main uses for me are deer and coyote hunting and medium range paper punching 2-500yds. It will feed the 107's through a standard AR15 mag.

GLShooter
12-05-13, 21:55
I'm currently having an upper made for me in 6mm Fat Rat. The round is based on the 6.5 grendel necked down with the shoulders and sidewalls blown out. Main bullet is a 107grain Berger or SMK. Claimed velocities are 27-2800fps but I dont know for sure what barrel length it takes to reach them. I went with a Wilson 20" 1in8 twist HBAR profile. Main uses for me are deer and coyote hunting and medium range paper punching 2-500yds. It will feed the 107's through a standard AR15 mag.

I am getting that with a 20" 243 LBC I have been shooting. They are a blast. I look forward to seeing how yours runs. What kind of dies are you getting?

Greg

Bigun
12-09-13, 19:43
I am getting that with a 20" 243 LBC I have been shooting. They are a blast. I look forward to seeing how yours runs. What kind of dies are you getting?

Greg It comes with Hornady custom dies. These look much nicer than factory Hornady dies. Can not wait until it's done. Sometime shortly after the first of the year is what I was quoted.

Bigun
03-03-14, 20:31
Its finally done. Scope brass and bullets due in tomorrow.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/04/5u6abude.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Steel head
03-03-14, 20:35
Looks great.
looking forward to a shooting report.

Bigun
03-03-14, 20:45
Now if the weather would just cut me some slack.