PDA

View Full Version : Eotech xps 300 blackout model?

mcmillanman5
11-09-13, 15:56
I just purchased a 300 blackout and am looking for a sight. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the 300 blackout model eotech? Does it work well having the two dots or is it unnecessary/ incorrect? Also I was wondering if there is actually a difference between the eotech xps2-2 reticle and the 300 black reticle or is it simply marketing?

Any information would be appreciated, I have not owned an eotech since my 512 that absolutely sucked almost ten years ago and I have only purchased aimpoints since that time.

Hmac
11-09-13, 16:02
The two-dot reticles represent a bullet drop compensator. Obviously, bullet drop for a 300 Blackout will be different than a 5.56 M193 round, so the reticle between an XPS 2-2 will be different than the 300 Blackout model. Whether or not that means that reticle spacing on one is different than on the other, I don't know. Maybe it's exactly the same reticle and the only difference is the etched supersonic/subsonic diagram on the top of the hood of the 300 BO model.

Whether or not it's a gimmick depends on how you perceive the value of bullet drop compensators. I've never found them to be particularly useful for my needs, so have pretty much just stuck to single-dot reticles in the Eotechs and of course the Aimpoints that I own.

I have a couple of EXPS 3 Eotechs and like them a lot. I've found them to be very reliable. I also have a couple of Aimpoints. My thinking is that if long-range shooting is part of the program, the 1 MOA dot of the Eotechs might be more useful than the 2 MOA dots of the Aimpoints.

swinokur
11-10-13, 05:34
Unless you are going to shoot both subsonic and supersonic, seems unnecessary to me. I have an EXPS 3.0 on my DD 300 BLK. I don't shoot subsonic in it so I didn't bother.

YMMV

mcmillanman5
11-10-13, 09:54
Thankyou gentleman for your replies and thoughts! I have both subsonic and supersonic ammo that came with the upper but to be completely honest I think I will mainly be shooting 220 gr subs after I get some reloading components. I suppose the versatility of being able to fire both types of ammo (two zeros) is what was initially appealing about the 300 model eotech. Now that I really think it through a traditional single dot may work just fine for me.

I may have to pull a t1 off of another gun and do some shooting to decide. Again, thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences.

wacki
02-01-14, 20:44
Thankyou gentleman for your replies and thoughts! I have both subsonic and supersonic ammo that came with the upper but to be completely honest I think I will mainly be shooting 220 gr subs after I get some reloading components. I suppose the versatility of being able to fire both types of ammo (two zeros) is what was initially appealing about the 300 model eotech. Now that I really think it through a traditional single dot may work just fine for me.

I may have to pull a t1 off of another gun and do some shooting to decide. Again, thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences.

I bought the two dot version. Will arrive in mail soon. I'm worried as Eotech is fuzzy and it may be too distracting. I hope it pays off. Will have to pick up a 3x magnifier before passing judgement. The Eotech will go on a Liberty Leonidas. The ultimate suppressed 300 BLK rifle. Will shoot 300 BLK short and long distance.

JohnnyC
02-01-14, 22:16
You are assuming that the reticle will be accurate with both supers and subs. If it is not, what's the point? It's the same problem inherent with any BCD. It's gotta match the load. If the load that matches the drop is not accurate, again what's the point?

wacki
02-02-14, 01:04
You are assuming that the reticle will be accurate with both supers and subs. If it is not, what's the point? It's the same problem inherent with any BCD. It's gotta match the load. If the load that matches the drop is not accurate, again what's the point?

That's got an easy solution. top dot zero's in at CQB distances. Bottom dot zeros in at long distances with whatever your ammo does at distance. It may be 300, 400 or 500 yards. Whatever it is who cares. My biggest issue is if the two dots are too blury / distracting for CWB or whatever you are doing 90% of the time.

bullittmcqueen
02-02-14, 07:57
My understanding is that the reticle spacing is the same as the xps 2-2. I actually thought really hard about going with this Eotech for my 300 build, but I ended up going with an aimpoint t-1. The Eotech 300 model is just hideous by the way. That logo and reticle diagram they have etched on the top was an instant no go for me.

wacki
02-02-14, 12:03
The Eotech 300 model is just hideous by the way. That logo and reticle diagram they have etched on the top was an instant no go for me.

If I felt that way I'd just cerakote it. The aluminum shielding is easily removed via a few screws. Functionality is paramount for me. This is a tool and not man-jewelry.

jonconsiglio
02-02-14, 12:27
If you can't zero them separately, I really don't see much of a point. I'd rather have one dot and deal with y holds from there. Here's some number on black tip from a 9" and 16" barrel just to give you an idea of the trajectory.

Subsonics will be quite different and while the bottom dot may get you close, I can't see it being a real benefit.

300blk Barnes 110gr TTSX Black Tip .264 1,300fps
Velocity - 9" 2,120fps | 16" 2,390
Expansion Threshold - 9" 335y | 16" 430y
Trajectory with 50/zero
9" 50/135z | 100y +0.9" | 150y -0.9" | 200y -5.5" | 300y -26" | 400y -65"
16" 50/170z | 100y +1.5" | 150y +0.7" | 200y -2.4" | 300y -16.8" | 400y -45"

300blk 220gr Sierra 220gr Subsonic .72
Velocity - 9" 1,020fps (16" will be similar)
Expansion Threshold - N/A
Trajectory with 50 (peaks at 50, no secondary crossing line of sight)
9" - 75y -2.2" | 100y -6.5" | 125y -12.8" | 150y -21.6" | 200y -46" | 250y -80" | 300y -123.7"

For me, a standard EoTech reticle would be more useful than a blackout reticle.

JohnnyC
02-03-14, 05:04
That's got an easy solution. top dot zero's in at CQB distances. Bottom dot zeros in at long distances with whatever your ammo does at distance. It may be 300, 400 or 500 yards. Whatever it is who cares. My biggest issue is if the two dots are too blury / distracting for CWB or whatever you are doing 90% of the time.

You can't zero the dots independently. Or are you just saying you don't care where the bottom dot zeroes? That's certainly a solution, but defeats the purpose of the "super/sub" reticle. In which case, why even bother with the 300BLK reticle at all, just get any 2-dot reticle. Or the 3, or the 4, and have as many holdover points as you want.

wacki
02-03-14, 14:19
You can't zero the dots independently. Or are you just saying you don't care where the bottom dot zeroes? That's certainly a solution, but defeats the purpose of the "super/sub" reticle. In which case, why even bother with the 300BLK reticle at all, just get any 2-dot reticle. Or the 3, or the 4, and have as many holdover points as you want.

The 300 blackout thing is marketing bs. We all know that. Obviously it would be nice to have intelligent thought and even numbers behind the two dots spacing but with so many ammo types that's impossible as the dots are fixed. I guess if you reload you could make it happen but for most people you use the second dot as a reference point.. The bottom dot may be an odd number like 335 yard zero but that's still useful info when shooting distance.

wacki
02-03-14, 14:31
Or you can use the same barrel and hornady they use.... I've got a SBR so custom ammo for me.

scottryan
02-04-14, 20:18
Two dot reticle in the 300 Blk model is the same reticle with the same dot spacing as all the other EOtechs.

The 300 BLK model is an XPS2 which is not night vision compatible. You would think they would have had enough brains to make a sight that is night vision compatible, since the 300 blk cartridge is primarily a subsonic round that would mainly be used at night? Another failure in the gun industry.

Just get the SOCOM XPS3 and be done with it. It has NV setting without the stupid 300 BLK graphics on it.

Chimper
02-04-14, 22:10
The 2nd dot is 10.5 MOA come up from the 1st. Top of circle to the bottom is 65 MOA. My 1st dot is zeroed at 200 yds. Bottom of circle hold is about 7 yds with my 300Blk using 110gr Vmax's