PDA

View Full Version : The wire. Does is protect a warrior enclave, or does it further separate us?

DragonDoc
11-10-13, 12:12
I read this article in the Washington Post. Does living on post or near post isolate service members from the rest of civilian society? I know I have felt like I was living in two worlds. Hell, I still feel like that at times. What has your experience been?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/military-bases-are-our-most-exclusive-gated-communities--and-that-hurts-veterans/2013/11/08/27841b1e-47cb-11e3-a196-3544a03c2351_story.html

Gutshot John
11-10-13, 12:37
I think it's fairly normal, people tend to gravitate towards people who have similar experiences and get along better with them.

There was a time I had more in common with an 18 year old Marine, now is a time I probably have more in common with my neighbor who never served.

I don't think it's wrong, it just behooves the individual to step outside of one's comfort zone and meet a variety of people, some of whom may not agree (literally and figuratively) with you. There are lots of good people out there, and I'm proud to call a lot of people friends, many of whom come from a variety of backgrounds. They each inform my perspective and help me reconcile my own views on things.