PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser

Ron S.
05-05-08, 21:17
So this is my first shotgun, and I got it for HD. Seems powerful, short, and rather intimidating! So naturally, I go with the Federal Premium LE Tactical 2 3/4" shells with the flitecontrol wad. So here I am, loading it up for the first time. Uh oh...what's this? I can only get two shells in the tube! Third only goes in about 1.5". What the?

So...am I just disabled, or what? What'd I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for helping a shotgun newbie.

m24shooter
05-05-08, 21:28
Take the mag tube cap off and see if there is a dowel in there.
Otherwise, see if the mag tube is dented or if the follower/spring is binding.

Ron S.
05-05-08, 21:32
Take the mag tube cap off and see if there is a dowel in there.
Otherwise, see if the mag tube is dented or if the follower/spring is binding.

No dents...there was a dowel. Why's that done? I hadn't heard of that.

Thanks very much for your help. :)

live2offroad
05-05-08, 21:44

In CA 3 rounds are the limit.. Taking out the dowel is a no no..
-Peter

Ron S.
05-05-08, 21:51
-Peter

Pretty scary that I'm glad I live in NY, eh? lol :D

Ed L.
05-05-08, 21:57
-Peter

Illegal for hunting, maybe.

I am unaware of any law in California that restricts pump action shotgun magazines to 2 rounds.

live2offroad
05-05-08, 22:32
Illegal for hunting, maybe.

I am unaware of any law in California that restricts pump action shotgun magazines to 2 rounds.

It's 3 rounds and Yes for hunting. But you don't want to out in the woods even for target practice with a shotgun with out the dowel. Even with an HD model it's just asking for trouble in good ol' CA..

Ron S.
05-05-08, 22:35
It's 3 rounds and Yes for hunting. But you don't want to out in the woods even for target practice with a shotgun with out the dowel. Even with an HD model it's just asking for trouble in good ol' CA..

In Cali, pointing your finger like a gun is asking for trouble. :p

live2offroad
05-05-08, 23:21
In Cali, pointing your finger like a gun is asking for trouble. :p

Ron doth speak truth! I live in a way over crowded, deeply fearful, and absurdly nosy state!

-Peter

Iraqgunz
05-06-08, 04:47
Can anyone provide any proof to the 3 round statement? I just recently bought a Remington Shotgun that hold 7 rounds and was not blocked. My CA FFL is not an idiot and they would have not allowed that transaction to happen if it was illegal. It is my understanding that the dowel is placed inside for reasons related to hunting.

DANGER CLOSE
05-06-08, 05:09
the 3 round limit is only a hunting rule. there is no law for limiting pump action shotguns in california. to quote a member of calguns forum.

"Heck its a pump action, you can put a live weasel *OR* a hollowed out dildo on the barrel and its still legal"

Iraqgunz
05-06-08, 06:59
As I suspected. If I put a dildo on the end of my barrel I wonder if the CA AG would consider that a "silencer"? God, I can't wait to move!

the 3 round limit is only a hunting rule. there is no law for limiting pump action shotguns in california. to quote a member of calguns forum.

"Heck its a pump action, you can put a live weasel *OR* a hollowed out dildo on the barrel and its still legal"

live2offroad
05-06-08, 09:17
Can anyone provide any proof to the 3 round statement? I just recently bought a Remington Shotgun that hold 7 rounds and was not blocked. My CA FFL is not an idiot and they would have not allowed that transaction to happen if it was illegal. It is my understanding that the dowel is placed inside for reasons related to hunting.

Hey, I'm a bird hunter from a family of same. It's entirely possible the rules for HD or otherwise tactical shotguns are different. If thats the case then I just learned something, which is always cool. I surely did not mean to cause a ruckus.

-Peter

Iraqgunz
05-06-08, 15:20
I just posted that because I would hate to see someone get misled because they read that. If I recall correctly in the People's Republik of Kalifornia a shot gun cannot have a pistol grip, and hold more than 10 rds. I think the best place to look is the California Attorney General website.

Hey, I'm a bird hunter from a family of same. It's entirely possible the rules for HD or otherwise tactical shotguns are different. If thats the case then I just learned something, which is always cool. I surely did not mean to cause a ruckus.

-Peter

Ron S.
05-06-08, 18:57
I just posted that because I would hate to see someone get misled because they read that. If I recall correctly in the People's Republik of Kalifornia a shot gun cannot have a pistol grip, and hold more than 10 rds. I think the best place to look is the California Attorney General website.

Are you saying it can't have either, or can't have both?

ST911
05-06-08, 19:05
Double tap.

ST911
05-06-08, 19:07
Federal law limits auto and pump-action shotgun capacity, in the pursuit of migratory birds, to 2+1. States have assimilated the federal law(s) in their statutory and regulatory provisions applicable to fish/game.

Other game may or may not be subject to the restriction. Some states extend the restriction to shotguns used to harvest upland game pursued during waterfowl seasons, or on certain lands.

Many (most) states also impose capacity restrictions for the pursuit of certain big game, but primarily pertaining to semi-auto, handguns, or rifles.

Contact your local DNR to determine what regulatory or statutory provisions might apply when, and where, your gun is afield.

I know of no state imposing such a restriction in a pump gun used for a purpose other than pursuit of game. If you're not doing so, say so, make it apparent, and cooperate with the inquisitive.

Mossberg used to ship the installed dowel as standard in their sporting/commercial guns, with a few exceptions. If you do need a dowel, replace it with a quality plastic unit. The OEM wooden unit sucks.

Hope this helps.

Ron S.
05-06-08, 19:26
Mossberg used to ship the installed dowel as standard in their sporting/commercial guns, with a few exceptions. If you do need a dowel, replace it with a quality plastic unit. The OEM wooden unit sucks.

Hope this helps.

Definitely won't be needing one. When I buy a 6-shot, that's what I want to get. ;)

RWK
05-06-08, 20:42
The wooden dowel is called a "plug" and it's exact use is to limit hunting shotguns to a three round capacity. My Mossberg 590 came with one installed when I bought it 12 years ago. It's there if you need it; if not, discard it.

Ages ago, before the purpose-built tactical shotgun, some people would use their shotguns for both defense and hunting. If one had a tube extension installed, one could drop in a plug and be legal for hunting.

Iraqgunz
05-07-08, 06:15
It is my understanding that it cannot have a pistol grip type stock and hold more than 10 rds. However, I am not a lawyer and I would check the CA AG website. I know there are probably more restrictions, but these are the 2 that I have seen.

Are you saying it can't have either, or can't have both?

CarlosDJackal
05-07-08, 10:20

In most jurisdictions, there is a limit on how many shells you can load a shotgun with for hunting. Since most shotgun sales to civilians are primarily for hunting, the manufacturers include these "plugs" by default.

Good luck with your 500. I've had mine (500 combo) for over 20-years and it was my primary HD shotgun until I picked up an 870. The only reason I bought the 870 is because our Agency only issues the 870 for patrol work. And having an 870 of my own allowed me to get proficient with it.

m24shooter
05-07-08, 19:03
It is my understanding that it cannot have a pistol grip type stock and hold more than 10 rds. However, I am not a lawyer and I would check the CA AG website. I know there are probably more restrictions, but these are the 2 that I have seen.
OK, that's fine but what if somebody wanted to have that weasel AND the dildo?