PDA

View Full Version : Semi-automatic RPD. Thoughts?

Vintovka
11-10-13, 18:52
Stopped a a gun shop today with some money to spend. Looked at a few things, more notably one of those HK91 clones built on a Portuguese receiver by an outfit out of Kentucky. The gentleman even allowed me to fire 5 shots through it. I liked it a lot, but then a Vector Arms RPD built with a 1953 Izhevsk parts kit caught my eye.

I put money down on the RPD and will be taking it home by the end of December. I'm getting it for $2,500 out the door with two drums, four 50 round belts, and a nice carrying bag. I know it's not the most practical of firearms, but it looks like a lot of fun, and that's what I was going for on this shopping trip. I seem to be finding that Vector RPDs are the most sought after compared to some other companies that make them. This was sort of an impulse buy, so how did I do considering I don't really know much about them? What can you guys tell me about the Vector RPDs? Anyone have experience with them to share? The store owner said the previous owner liked it and only got rid of it for financial reasons. He also said he fired 100 rounds through without a hiccup when he took it in.
Here it is:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1458635_754726691207541_1225708002_n.jpg

MegademiC
11-10-13, 19:22
Practical? No . But one is on my long list. If you have the money they are definitely badass.

1911-A1
11-10-13, 22:48
I've considered selling my semiauto Bren for an RPD. Really everyone should have some sort of belt fed weapon, even if it's only a semi.

Vintovka
11-13-13, 17:04
I just couldn't stand the idea of not having a belt fed for one more minute. Really looking forward to taking this home.

lunchbox
11-13-13, 17:19
My wife dreds my return from the gun store, always asks "Did you get a new toy?". I cant wait to answer her with one of those....While wearing ammo belts like Rambo:dirol:.

Ron3
11-18-13, 13:26
I had a vector RPD. Ran fine on Tula! Very, very well made!

But the trigger sucked (Heavy, long, looong reset) and it wasn't fun enough to keep so I sold it.

If it had an awesome trigger I may have kept it. Then again, like the Russians figured, the RPK is a lighter, simpler weapon that does the same thing. (Okay it holds 75 rounds in a drum vs two 50 rnd belts linked together, and the RPD would be able to ride closer to the ground having no mag underneath)

But yea, the RPD is probably THE belt fed to own if you can't swing a PKM. (twice the money!)

IIRC the RPD is about 15 lbs, about 19 lbs with 100 rnds in the drum.

Vintovka
11-19-13, 13:46
I had a vector RPD. Ran fine on Tula! Very, very well made!

Good to hear! I have tons of Tula 7.62x39 waiting to be fed into the RPD. I can hardly wait to bring it home. Does anyone here know how to contact Vector? Did they go out of business? I can't seem to find a Vector website or contact information. I just like to have that handy when I buy a new gun.