PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 Hornady TAP 75gr. BTHP T2 Ammo

jakjakman
05-05-08, 23:54
Yup, the good stuff (8126N). Just a head's up that ammunitiontogo has this back in stock and I just ordered a bunch. :)

Ned Christiansen
05-06-08, 09:18
Good stuff indeed. I just did some extensive grouping with a wide variety of ammo. The Hornady 5.56 75 grainers are every bit as good as their Match 75, slightly different bullet profile.
-Match-- a classic BTHP, long ogive
-FPD- shorter ogive, longer shank, HP tip rolled over ever so slightly for better feeding
5.56-- same pill as FPD but with cannelure.

All three are top notch stuff and the Match will probably do better in a 600 yard match due to BC and ogive but the FPD and 5.56 are the ticket for anything else.

Edited to correct m'self-- both the FPD and 5.56 have cannelures. Ogives are ever so slightly different between FPD and 5.56.

techo
05-07-08, 11:59
I just received 400 rounds of 8126N yesterday from ATG.

jakjakman
05-08-08, 00:03
I just received 400 rounds of 8126N yesterday from ATG.

Lucky. Mine won't be here for another week. :( I'll have twice as much though! :p

Safetyhit
05-09-08, 16:39
I just saw these on gunbroker and was very surprised. Don't ever recall anyone selling them (5.56) in such a manner. All that I have I purchased from a police officer I befriended on TOS a few years ago.

After 3 years, I have shot 4 of 800 rounds. :eek:

Sandman751
05-23-08, 18:38
Good stuff! Thats for sure.

Warrior
05-23-08, 19:23
I just spent way too much on these. bought 600 last week and bought another 1600 yesterday. If they are still in next week I'll probobly get more.

Safetyhit
05-23-08, 19:59
If ammo keeps going up, at the very least they are a good investment. Think I should get some more, but I have enough for now I suppose.

RWK
05-25-08, 18:35
Has anyone here tested them at 200+ out of a 1/9 barrel?

Warrior
05-25-08, 18:39
Has anyone here tested them at 200+ out of a 1/9 barrel?

Not the 5.56 but the FPD and they would key hole and be all over the silhouette. I really like the 62gr TBBC and BH 68gr match for 1/9. I don't have a 1/9 anymore just 1/7, 1/8 and 1/12. YMMV

RWK
05-26-08, 19:57
Not the 5.56 but the FPD and they would key hole and be all over the silhouette. I really like the 62gr TBBC and BH 68gr match for 1/9. I don't have a 1/9 anymore just 1/7, 1/8 and 1/12. YMMV

Hm, that's what I was afraid the answer might be. :( I was hoping that the additional velocity would stabilize it out to at least 200. I have some and will test it anyway just to see if it mirrors your results.

Warrior
05-27-08, 01:55
Hm, that's what I was afraid the answer might be. :( I was hoping that the additional velocity would stabilize it out to at least 200. I have some and will test it anyway just to see if it mirrors your results.

Yours may stabalize them I've hears of some 1/9 barrels being able to do so but i don't have first hand expirience seeing that. Also if your in hot weather it may help as well as altitude which both play a role in that as do some other variables. Hope it works out for you.

markm
05-27-08, 09:00
I was hoping that the additional velocity would stabilize it out to at least 200.

I'd love to find out if there's any validity to that notion.

To me, the twist rate per distance traveled is what stabilizes a projectile. Not the overall RPM.

For example... I can fire a round of M856 tracer (very long projectile) out of my 11.5" 1/7 twist barrel and watch the tracer burn fully stabilized all the way out. But when we fire the M856 out of 20 inch 1/9 barrels, the bullets appear to have some shimmy to them as they get far out there. I'd have to guess that the actual RPM is higher on the rifle fired bullets, but the slower moving carbine bullet appears to stabilize better.

Warrior
05-27-08, 12:01

To me, the twist rate per distance traveled is what stabilizes a projectile. Not the overall RPM.

For example... I can fire a round of M856 tracer (very long projectile) out of my 11.5" 1/7 twist barrel and watch the tracer burn fully stabilized all the way out. But when we fire the M856 out of 20 inch 1/9 barrels, the bullets appear to have some shimmy to them as they get far out there. I'd have to guess that the actual RPM is higher on the rifle fired bullets, but the slower moving carbine bullet appears to stabilize better.

Thats exactly what I've seen in my experience. I've always figured stabilization was a function of twist rate and not velocity. As far as total RPM's go I'd have to do the math but I would venture to guess the 1/7 twist will still have a higher RPM rate even with the shorter barrel. I'm sure someone will chime in with some more info.

RWK
05-27-08, 12:10

Me too. :D I'm no ballistics guru, I'm just taking a SWAG at it.

Not that I think the additional velocity will impart any faster spin on the projectile. With the seemingly mixed results that people get when using 1/9 barrels with 70 - 75 gr projectiles, I'm thinking that velocity loss must have at least a little something to do with the projectiles becoming unstable as they reach 200.

Maybe I'm just being hopelessly optimistic...

markm
05-27-08, 13:34
I'm thinking that velocity loss must have at least a little something to do with the projectiles becoming unstable as they reach 200.

I'd guess that the bullet was never fully stabile at all. I bet it was just borderline stable enough to get it that far before the air resistance turned the bullet sideways.... I'm just guessing here too.

I'm putting my money on the rotations per distance traveled over the importance of RPMs. Although it could be a combo of both factors.

PALADIN-hgwt
05-27-08, 14:54
xxxxx

markm
05-27-08, 15:44
It is interesting to note that this force, or overturning moment, acting on the bullet nose is greatest when the bullet first exits the barrel. If a certain bullet-barrel combination will stabilize a bullet at the muzzle, the bullet will remain stable for the rest of its flight.

So according to this statement, a bullet that is keyholing at 200 was never actually stable at the muzzle.

RWK
05-27-08, 16:26
I'd guess that the bullet was never fully stabile at all. I bet it was just borderline stable enough to get it that far before the air resistance turned the bullet sideways.... I'm just guessing here too.

Well, one of these weeks when I get a chance to get out on the range, I'll let you know what I come up with. I gleaned a good idea from the Lija articles that PALADIN linked to - I'll set up a few successive targets from 25 out to 200 and see what kind of yaw, if any, I get.

Warrior
05-27-08, 21:09
When the bullet leaves the barrel at muzzle velocity from the 1/9 twist barrel it should be stabalized at that point once it begins slowing down it will reach a point of speed where the spin emparted on it will no longer stabalize it and will begin yawing. Remember the 1/12 twist barrels did not stabalize 55gr M193 in freezing temps but did fine in the warm vietnam jungle. As far as 77gr SMK goes a 1/7.7 twist is Ideal for stabalizing it IIRC.

markm
05-28-08, 08:51
When the bullet leaves the barrel at muzzle velocity from the 1/9 twist barrel it should be stabalized at that point once it begins slowing down it will reach a point of speed where the spin emparted on it will no longer stabalize it and will begin yawing.

That is EXACTLY the opposite of what the link says. If a bullet is stable at the muzzle, it's stable for the entire flight. Bullet velocity slows faster than the spin rate. So according to the link, destabilization is less likely the farther a bullet travels.

If a bullet keyholes at 100 or 200 yards, it was not stable when it left the muzzle.

Warrior
05-28-08, 13:00
Let me clear up what I posted,

I meant the RPM's never slow down but as the bullet does the combination of RPM and speed no longer stabalize it. But I think you are right about it not being stable in the first place. Does Randall post here cause he would definatly know, I'll send him an email to ask.

markm
05-28-08, 13:33
But I think you are right about it not being stable in the first place.

I'm not sure if I'm right. But that's what I understood the write up to say.