PDA

View Full Version : First 5.45x39 AK RATMIL, question about corrosive ammo

Jerik1m4
11-11-13, 18:37
Just picked up my second AK but first in 5.45. My first one was a Century Yugo underfolder which went away real quick years ago.

I'd had my eye on this one at work for awhile and finally gave in to temptation, got to put 50rds of the Hornady 60gr vmax through it this weekend.
I was pleasantly surprised at not only the lack of any recoil but how accurate it was even off-hand at 30yds with the iron sights. For someone who
had a stronger affinity to the AR platform having a good AK is making me come around. I've got some parts ordered to change it from the Dragunov
style thumbhole stock to a more standard stock and US Palm battle grip, also changing it out for a midwest rail with RMR cowitness.

My question to those who have shot 5.45x39 for...well...longer than I have, I know that most of it is corrosive. So exactly how corrosive is it?
Obviously you want to clean it ASAP, but if you shoot some and don't clean it for a day, a week, a month. How bad could things get?
Would it be better to get something like Silver bear that's around $200 per 750rds vs $190 per 1080 rds of surplus and not have to worry about
cleaning it like you would expect from an AK? I know some of that is personal preference as far as how much you want to spend, obviously less $$$
is better but not at the expense of more in depth cleaning. I mean lets face it life gets in the way some times and I'd hate to ruin a gun because I
wanted to save a few bucks and I couldn't get to the soap and water right away.

Hizzie
11-11-13, 21:51
Surplus 5.45x39. How corrosive is it?

Well, can a woman be sorta pregnant?

Corrosive salts just need to be rinsed out. Flushing with water will work.

Iraqgunz
11-12-13, 04:45
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?87949-How-I-clean-my-S-amp-W-5-45-AR15. Same rules apply.