PDA

View Full Version : Quality MP5 Clones

Gutshot John
05-06-08, 09:10
I've always wanted a 9mm MP5-type more to have fun with, but maybe also doing an SBR or Sear gun (MP5SD :D ) later.

Ideally I'd love the HK original stuff, but at $3K are there quality alternatives? I've heard mixed reviews about about Bobcat and some of the other manufacturers but does anyone have experience? Good, bad or indifferent?

Germanfritze
05-06-08, 15:29
Take a good look on that Ex-California prison H&K94!
If they were reworked they look like new and don´t cost you 3k!
They´re worth every penny of it!

NetJunkie
05-06-08, 17:30
Take a good look on that Ex-California prison H&K94!
If they were reworked they look like new and don´t cost you 3k!
They´re worth every penny of it!

You mean the DoJ HK94s? Gone. They are close to $3K assuming you find one.

Ron S.
05-06-08, 20:30
I've always wanted a 9mm MP5-type more to have fun with, but maybe also doing an SBR or Sear gun (MP5SD :D ) later.

Ideally I'd love the HK original stuff, but at $3K are there quality alternatives? I've heard mixed reviews about about Bobcat and some of the other manufacturers but does anyone have experience? Good, bad or indifferent?

I have a friend that absolutely adores his Bobcat, but I'll tell ya...even for the $1000 difference in price, I'd still save up and go for an H&K. Quality crap right there.

NetJunkie
05-06-08, 21:32
If you want the BEST clone look here:

http://www.professional-arms.com/

They aren't out yet but several people on HKPro have seen them. Very nice and they will have caliber conversions. I'm very tempted to put a deposit down on an order.

Germanfritze
05-07-08, 05:42
If you ever made it SBR or/and get a sear for it,
you will see how much higher the resale price is
when "H&K" stand on it!
You must know if you will only use it
or get it as a safequeen/heirloom piece!

Gutshot John
05-07-08, 11:26
If I got one I'd definitely be using it.

The Professional Arms should accept a full-auto sear? No?

I guess for the money, going the regular HK route isn't going to be that much more expensive especially for a Sear gun.

So let's see...best way to approach this....

1. Buy a civilian 94.

2. Get a stamp and have it converted to an SBR in the short-term. (Assuming this is cheaper than buying a completed 94 SBR, is it?)

3. Eventually buy the sear and convert it to Class III

Does that sound logical?

Gutshot John
05-08-08, 00:06
:eek: $5k for a basic HK94...not even SBR.

Found an SD SBR for $8.1.

Maybe a clone conversion is a way to go. Sheesh.

TOrrock
05-08-08, 00:11
See if you can find a Vector.

They are usually pretty decent.

Gutshot John
05-08-08, 14:07
Does Vector make a 9mm MP5? I knew they had a .40 but I can't seem to find a 9mm other than Uzi.

TOrrock
05-08-08, 16:15
Does Vector make a 9mm MP5? I knew they had a .40 but I can't seem to find a 9mm other than Uzi.

They used to. When parts and receivers became non existant, they stopped selling them.

There are a few out there.

armakraut
05-08-08, 22:13
As far as I know, vector only did a limited run of 9mm MP5 pistols. Haven't seen one up for sale, but they probably get traded around same as everything else.

I would have liked to see vector do a really frigging extensive run of MP5 rifles.

Those MK5's look somewhat interesting, especially the .45 ACP models, all be it expensive.

senorlinc
05-07-09, 22:51
i was just about to ask the same question. I have been debating this issue and i am thinking of going with a pistol with 3 lug bbl to eventually SBR. figure the original bbl w adapter for supressor is a better way to go than cutting the bbl.

there is no shortage of people with opinions about special weapons/bobcat/cohaire. they are pretty much the only game in town at this point. the reports of their quality range the entire spectrum from outstanding to abyssmal. personally, i am looking for a shooter that will be reliable. i do not mind paying for quality though i would expect alot from a $1500+ clone.

Templar makes an excellent point that Vector has enjoyed a great reputation. IIRC i hear a rumour they are going back into business and may have some spare parts around. what they do from there is speculation.

ZDL
05-08-09, 04:37
Tag cause I've been considering something similar. Thanks for asking this john.

30 cal slut
05-08-09, 07:29
i've got a receiver flat that i'm thinking about working on. now if i can find somebody who has that pesky barrel press...

usp mike
05-13-09, 18:51
You should drop Jayson at IGF a line,he does great work on HK .

Mike

tweakmeister
05-13-09, 22:38
Another hat tip to Jayson, who SBR'd my DOJ HK94.

If I were to do it again as a shooter, I'd just get the (cheaper) Vector.