PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on build

KingCobra
11-12-13, 10:51
I decided to finally build my own rifle (kinda) (my last one I had somebody put together and I just watched) and was wondering what you guys thought

here Is what I am planning to run, I only shoot m855/PMC bronze 55gr

BCM 16" midlength upper http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm
BCM bolt http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm
Spikes tactical lower
ALG defense trigger
milspec buffer tube

Now my questions are, What kind of spring/buffer will provide the best results shooting m855 through a 16" mid? does this look like a reliable build?

ASH556
11-12-13, 11:10
I decided to finally build my own rifle (kinda) (my last one I had somebody put together and I just watched) and was wondering what you guys thought

here Is what I am planning to run, I only shoot m855/PMC bronze 55gr

BCM 16" midlength upper http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm
BCM bolt http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm
Spikes tactical lower
ALG defense trigger
milspec buffer tube

Now my questions are, What kind of spring/buffer will provide the best results shooting m855 through a 16" mid? does this look like a reliable build?

The problem is that there isn't really a standard for midlength gas port size. Most hover around the .07 mark. BCM's should be good, though. I'd run a standard carbine spring and an "H" buffer. I had a DD 16" midlength that would run with an H2.

KingCobra
11-12-13, 11:19
pardon my ignorance, but how much of a difference in terms of operation would I be looking at between an H and an h2? which d you feel would run better on 855?

ASH556
11-12-13, 11:27
pardon my ignorance, but how much of a difference in terms of operation would I be looking at between an H and an h2? which d you feel would run better on 855?

The H2 would cause the gun to short stroke on lower pressured ammo and will slow the bolt down so that you might have issues as the gun gets really dry/dirty.

Just go with the H. You'll be good.

KingCobra
11-12-13, 11:32
ok, will do.

If I ever decide in the future to get a can, wht would have to change to be able to use it, or could I run it on this exact set-up? not super worried about it, just wondering.

ASH556
11-12-13, 11:42
ok, will do.

If I ever decide in the future to get a can, wht would have to change to be able to use it, or could I run it on this exact set-up? not super worried about it, just wondering.

You could probably run the same setup. It's easy to read things on the internet and then way over-analyze your setup. For instance, I run an "H" buffer in my 10.3" DD MK18. That gun has run every round I've ever put through it, including some Brown Bear and Silver Bear that belonged to a customer when I was trouble-shooting his gun. The MK18 will also run suppressed (AAC M4-2000).

You have to think of the gas/recoil system like a spectrum...too undergassed and you have issues...too overgassed and you have issues. You can "tune" a setup to run a specific setup, but be aware of what you're giving up on the other end of the spectrum. At the end of the day, if the rifle feeds, fires, extracts, ejects, and locks back on an empty mag, your system works. If you want to lessen recoil or make it "shoot smoother" get a brake or a comp...don't start dicking with the gas system on a reliable rifle.

KingCobra
11-12-13, 11:44
ok cool, thanks so much for all your help.

Kokopelli
11-12-13, 11:49
I think you'll be good to go. My Bravo lightweight mid-length runs great on a standard Bravo (carbine outfitted) lower. It runs everything I've tried and very well..

KingCobra
11-12-13, 11:51
how do you like it? any photos or videos? how well did the barrel maintain its accuracy in MOA?

Iraqgunz
11-12-13, 19:04
It will run with an H and should run with an H2 if you use M855/M193 based on the testing I have done. If you have a can it will almost certainly run with the H2 and even H3. As a rule I use the Vltor A5 and never have to worry about it.

ColtSeavers
11-12-13, 19:17
Don't know who/where you are getting your buffer tube/receiver extension from, but please pay attention/be aware that there are 'mil-spec' 6061 tubes and there are the real deal 7075 mil spec tubes out there. Be careful you don't accidentally buy the worst of the worst tube available, the dreaded 6061 'mil spec' diameter tube.

KingCobra
11-13-13, 05:12
Don't know who/where you are getting your buffer tube/receiver extension from, but please pay attention/be aware that there are 'mil-spec' 6061 tubes and there are the real deal 7075 mil spec tubes out there. Be careful you don't accidentally buy the worst of the worst tube available, the dreaded 6061 'mil spec' diameter tube.

I have a commercial tube..

what would be the better option, a 14.5 middy with a pinned vortex or a 16" middy? I'm wanting to lean towards the a 14.5 but I feel if I ever want to change the compensator i'd be screwed, but I don't think I'd ever plan to change it.

Col_Crocs
11-13-13, 05:17
^ what do you already have now? I would normally recommend the 16 for the reason stated above but seeing as you already have an AR, im trying to understand what it is you feel you need/want out of this build.
ETA: i thought you said you had a milspec tube?

KingCobra
11-13-13, 05:22
I do have a milspec tube, but it is on my other AR and i'm not sure If I want to move it over, as the lower I just bought came with a free buffer tube and its commercial. and since I have a plethora of commercial stocks in my room I don't mind using it.

my current AR is a DPMS with ALG defense trigger with a 16" carbine lightweight pencil barrel upper. I hate it, I can't hit shit with it, and I shoot almost a perfect score on the rifle range so I know it's not my shooting. if I'm under 100yds its not bad, I just want something with a better barrel/tolerances to allow me to reach out further.

Col_Crocs
11-13-13, 05:43
Oh ok. In that case, just get a 16 middy. Forego the 14.5 unless you know exactly what you want. The 1.5" difference just isnt worth the trouble should you come to a point where your preferences change.

KingCobra
11-13-13, 06:14
ok, I should be making my order for the upper today or tomorrow.

Sagara09
11-13-13, 07:01
I am running an H2 on my 16" carbine. I haven't cleaned the rifle since completion and have had no failures thus far. However, I have only cycled 200 rounds through the carbine.

JS-Maine
11-13-13, 09:26
I've shot a variety of good and bad 55 grain ammo through a BCM 16" midlength upper configured as you've described-including xm193, PMC bronze, Federal AE and bulk .223 FMJ, and .223 Tula. I bought the Magpul CTR package from Grant at G&R which includes a BCM Mil-Spec 6 Position Mil-Spec Receiver Extension, BCM H Buffer, Tactical Spring CS Buffer Spring (BLUE). No malfunctions with just over 1000 rds.

What kind of spring/buffer will provide the best results shooting m855 through a 16" mid? does this look like a reliable build?

PD Sgt.
11-13-13, 10:06
Oh ok. In that case, just get a 16 middy. Forego the 14.5 unless you know exactly what you want. The 1.5" difference just isnt worth the trouble should you come to a point where your preferences change.

This. I do not know anyone, myself included, that pinned a 14.5 and did not later change their mind or at least wish they could change the set up as their needs change.

kwelz
11-13-13, 17:22
This. I do not know anyone, myself included, that pinned a 14.5 and did not later change their mind or at least wish they could change the set up as their needs change.

I have 2 pinned 14.5s that will never change.

Shoot enough to know what works for you, buy quality equipment that fits those needs. Build then be done.

KingCobra
11-18-13, 12:02
I'm about to place my order for my upper, and I went to add a charging handle to my order and noticed the mod4 "training only" handle..

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-TRAINING-USE-ONLY-p/bcm-gfh-mod-4-556-training-use.htm

would this still be usable? I feel like I know the answer already but I just want to double check, the marine corps has ****ed my common sense module up.

jwreck
11-18-13, 15:10
I'm about to place my order for my upper, and I went to add a charging handle to my order and noticed the mod4 "training only" handle..

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-TRAINING-USE-ONLY-p/bcm-gfh-mod-4-556-training-use.htm

would this still be usable? I feel like I know the answer already but I just want to double check, the marine corps has ****ed my common sense module up.The way I read that it just sounds like its basically a blemished handle.

KingCobra
11-18-13, 15:27
That's the way I was looking at it.

guitarist1993
11-18-13, 16:50
I've got one of the 'training handles' and it's 100% functional. At a great price too.

KingCobra
11-18-13, 16:53
I've got one of the 'training handles' and it's 100% functional. At a great price too.

ok awesome, I'm all about the cheaper option on stuff like this, especially when I'm buying two of everything!

guitarist1993
11-18-13, 16:54
ok awesome, I'm all about the cheaper option on stuff like this, especially when I'm buying two of everything!

Yep. Mine is the large latch, but if you're partial to the mod 4, it should work perfectly for you. Worst case scenario, they warranty it for a year.

KingCobra
11-18-13, 17:25
I need some help. I don't get it, whenever I google spikes tactical punisher lower photos of the lower with an engraved skull come up, but my punisher lowers come into my dealer and they are just the spider with a laser etched skull. not to mention they are color filled when I specifically said I didn't want.. carb cleaner, acetone, nothing will remove the paint.

any ideas?

KingCobra
11-20-13, 11:29
anybody?

ColtSeavers
11-21-13, 09:31
I need some help. I don't get it, whenever I google spikes tactical punisher lower photos of the lower with an engraved skull come up, but my punisher lowers come into my dealer and they are just the spider with a laser etched skull. not to mention they are color filled when I specifically said I didn't want.. carb cleaner, acetone, nothing will remove the paint.

any ideas?

I would call Spike's tactical and ask them.