PDA

View Full Version : factory or reload for HD

ckk1106
05-06-08, 16:02
Is it better to use factory ammo for HD use? I've never had a misfire with my reloaded ammo, but someone suggested at just to be on the safe side I should use factory. What do you think?

HolyRoller
05-06-08, 16:29
There was a thread somwhere at M4C a few months back about this. It boiled down to: there's no reason to use handloads for home defense, self defense, or law enforcement because so many effective and reliable factory loads are available in any caliber you ought to be carrying. Handloads are fine for everything else, but for serious tactical purposes, find a factory load that accomplishes your goals.

Some claim you'll automatically be sued or prosecuted or both for using handloaded ammo in an actual shooting. I have not been able to find a single case where this happened. If anybody else has, please let me know where to find it. If a shoot is justified, then it legally shouldn't matter whether you shot them with handloads or factory ammo. Operative word being SHOULDn't--you never know when some belt-fed idiot of a prosecutor wants to make governor and uses your case to get publicity about cracking down on homemade Rambo bullets, let alone what kind of bizarre jury argument the crew-served assclowns on the back of the phone book might stoop to. (I don't say that lightly--I'm a consumer lawyer myself.) Handloads are an unnecessary complication in the unbelievably complicated man-made years-long hell you'll probably be treated to after even the most righteous of shoots.

Redmanfms
05-06-08, 20:58
Operative word being SHOULDn't--

That is the operative word. It didn't have to do with handloading, but look up the Harold Fish incident.

What gun and ammo you use can definitely be used by an activist douchebag DA to **** you in the ass.

The Fish case gave me many weeks of serious contemplation about my home defense arsenal. It was seriously disconcerting. I still wonder about a potential post-shoot. Ultimately my decision to keep my EBRs for HD came down to prefering to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

As to your points about using only factory-loaded, I agree. I will also add that QC is certainly better with premium factory loads than any handloader can attain, regardless of how fantasmical he thinks his loading skills are.

ckk1106
05-06-08, 22:47
Thanks for the replies. What does EBR's stand for?

johnson
05-06-08, 23:13
Evil Black Rifle

SGT D USMC
05-07-08, 00:55
I am a diehard reloader, however Any weapon I carry or have for grab is loaded with factory loads, I'd almost bet Dillon does the same. ------------he went into younder village and never returned.