PDA

View Full Version : Basic reloading question

ruchik
11-14-13, 05:51
I am considering getting into reloading, and had a basic question. Upon examining reloading manuals, I see many specific bullets listed by name. However, can the bullet be swapped for a comparable bullet and achieve the same results? For example, if a reloading manual lists a Hornady 147gr XTP bullet, can I safely substitute a 147gr Speer Gold dot bullet?

jpgm
11-14-13, 06:59
ruchik

You would be fine with the two specific bullets you had mentioned. Now, if you compare loading data for a cast lead bullet and from a jacketed bullet, you will see that the lead bullets are typically not loaded as hot. I have a Sierra 3rd edition pistol manual along with loading data that I received from a cast bullet manufacturer. Take your time as you reload.

jpgm

Airhasz
11-14-13, 07:31
Just pay attention to the COL and you should be fine.

bigedp51
11-14-13, 12:28
I am considering getting into reloading, and had a basic question. Upon examining reloading manuals, I see many specific bullets listed by name. However, can the bullet be swapped for a comparable bullet and achieve the same results? For example, if a reloading manual lists a Hornady 147gr XTP bullet, can I safely substitute a 147gr Speer Gold dot bullet?

If your starting from scratch always start low and work up, any time you change a component of an existing load you reduce by 10% and work up again.

Your best bet is to have a multitude of different reloading manuals and compare the data, different bullet types and manufacture can effect pressure, along with cartridge case capacity, primers etc.

Reloading manuals are just guidelines and when you compare the manuals for the same caliber and bullet weights you will see variations in loading data. Always start low and work up and inspect your cases and primers as the load increases. This way you will learn to read your primers and cases for pressure signs.

StrikerFired
11-14-13, 19:52
Exactly, start low and work up. I always try to look for a similar bullet to what manual I have at the time lists. That's why I find it useful to have at least a couple of manuals from different sources to help. Even going to the powder manufacturer websites usually have a pretty good bullet selection on them for use with their powder.

FloridaWoodsman
11-15-13, 06:18
I've had to do that more than once for instances where I just couldn't find published information. The bullets should be very similar in shape as well as weight, though, if the overall length measurement is to be useful.

Another thing you might try is emailing the powder company and see if they have any suggestions that aren't published.

Maineshooter
11-19-13, 20:56
If your starting from scratch always start low and work up, any time you change a component of an existing load you reduce by 10% and work up again.

Your best bet is to have a multitude of different reloading manuals and compare the data, different bullet types and manufacture can effect pressure, along with cartridge case capacity, primers etc.

Reloading manuals are just guidelines and when you compare the manuals for the same caliber and bullet weights you will see variations in loading data. Always start low and work up and inspect your cases and primers as the load increases. This way you will learn to read your primers and cases for pressure signs.

This is good advice. Work up slowly whenever you change any component. I have personal experience with one particular rifle that "likes" maximum charges with certain powders and 150 gr bullets. I switched to a different brand of bullet (still 150 gr) and noticed obvious pressure signs (i.e. FLAT primers) that were not present in the original load. At that time I was using the exact same primers, powder and brass with the same loading setup.

markm
11-20-13, 12:12
For common pistol loads, I'll sub a 147 for 147 data or 115 for 115, etc... (assuming Jacketed to Jacketed, and Cast to Cast of course) When you get deep into rifle, jacket thickness and bearing surface can dramatically change max pressure levels in bullets of same or similar weights.