PDA

View Full Version : Building a stripped lower?

techo
05-06-08, 21:48
When I picked up my complete LMT lower from my FFL today. (thanks Grant)
The manager said he was glad I ordered the complete lower because building a stripped lower was considered firearms manufacturing and was a felony in the state of Florida. He said if I purchased a parts kit and stock it must be assembled by a FFL gunsmith.
Is this true?

Bimmer
05-06-08, 21:58
Bullshit. If you buy a 80% lower and finish it, then you might be "manufacturing," but assembling a rifle out of parts is not "manufacturing."

Ben

wezalsgunsupply
05-06-08, 22:15
It is complete bullshit that assembling your own lower is a gunsmith only job. Hundreds of lower parts kits are bought daily by guys doing their own build. That manager should be asking if you want fries with that. Not selling weapons. That alone would shake my trust in your dealer. When we are not busy I sit with a few of our customers and help them thru their own builds. It gives a lot of buyers more pride in his new rifle because he was involved in the assembly. Sure everyone at a dealership cant be up to speed on all the laws, but that is a far stretch to not understand. Building rifles is not rocket science. Its 100% about proper assembly. Quality parts and correct torque settings. Proper alignment and staking. Anyone can do it with guidance and patients. My advice is that many people feel a sense of accomplishment and pride by doing it themselves. One day you should. Long story short it is not illegal.

wezalsgunsupply
05-06-08, 22:16
He man, really sorry for the typo on your name.

TUNNEL RAT 33
05-07-08, 00:44
i just built my own lower for my last build . i was a little timid at first but it went together so easy that i'll do it again . the best part is the lower is set up exactly how i want it

RojasTKD
05-07-08, 00:47
The manager said he was glad I ordered the complete lower because building a stripped lower was considered firearms manufacturing and was a felony in the state of Florida. He said if I purchased a parts kit and stock it must be assembled by a FFL gunsmith.
Is this true?

LOL, so many dealers or either full of it or are clueless (often both). I think it's time to find a new FFL.

karmapolice
05-07-08, 01:39
It’s not illegal for you or a private person to do so if they buy all the parts, but it is for the dealer because they are not manufactures. They can put accessories on but they can not for example sell you a complete lower and upper and put them together, you can it doesn’t matter but they can't. This could be incorrect but from my source it is true.

Kurt Reifert
05-07-08, 06:33
Assembling and selling lowers or complete rifles on a repeated basis without a manufacturing license and without paying the Fedral Excise Tax is a Federal Crime.
Assembling one for yourself is perfectly legal.

techo
05-07-08, 07:49
He seemed to be confused about it and was asking the owner who seemed a bit confused about it as well. They only sell complete weapons. However everyone there is super friendly and the FLL transfers are no problem.($25).
I'll look for a place that has a better grasp on builds when I order a stripped lower. At least I have everything for my LMT 16" now except for a BUIS & optics. I made my choices based on information from this site and all you guys.
I really appreciate how knowledgeable all of you are.:)

OldNavyGuy
05-07-08, 08:42
well..., he did say.....

building a stripped lower was considered firearms manufacturing and was a felony in the state of Florida.

so unless someone has the knowledge of Floriduhs laws.............., need i say more ?

Stickman
05-07-08, 08:58
Is this true?

Building and selling, such as what your dealer would be doing would be manufacturing. Assembling for yourself without the intent of doing it for resale is a nonevent. That doesn't mean you can't ever sell it, it simply means that can't be your original intent.

techo
05-07-08, 14:01
Building and selling, such as what your dealer would be doing would be manufacturing. Assembling for yourself without the intent of doing it for resale is a nonevent. That doesn't mean you can't ever sell it, it simply means that can't be your original intent.
Thanks for the clairification, I don't intend to resale anything. It's hard enough just to find what I want to buy. It's mine till they...you know...pry it from my cold dead hands.

Iraqgunz
05-07-08, 16:19
Rojas,

PM me. I know someone who has an FFL and he knows his stuff. He is in the N. florida area.

LOL, so many dealers or either full of it or are clueless (often both). I think it's time to find a new FFL.

C4IGrant
05-07-08, 18:01
Is this true?

What he is telling you is BS. From an FFL stand point he is kind of correct. While not a felony, an 01 putting together lowers should really be an 07 in the eyes of the ATF.

C4

djkj6
05-07-08, 18:16
for an individual gun owner, you can very leagally place a lower parts kit in your stripped lower...happens all the time at build parties!

if your were manufacturing them for resale you might encounter some trouble, but feel free to build and build...these are addictive! :D

longshot
05-08-08, 13:31
Is this true?

He's an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about. If it was me I'd take my business elsewhere.

techo
05-08-08, 15:57
My options are limited. This place has very low prices and customer service is excellent. I will inform them they are wrong about this issue.
The other places are either over priced, closed on Saturday or too far away.