PDA

View Full Version : ACOG lens coating?

DreadPirateMoyer
11-15-13, 19:22
Does anyone know anything about ACOG lens coatings? I can't find anything official, only hearsay. Specifically, hardness, anti-scratch, durability, process/material, etc.?

bp7178
11-15-13, 21:57
I doubt anyone outside of Trijicon could really answer this question. I will say that optically, it is some of the best looking glass, especially considering its intended use and price point.

DreadPirateMoyer
11-15-13, 23:09
Agreed, but I figured it was worth asking. It just kind of wigged me out not seeing any mention of anti-scratch coating. I can't imagine the ACOG not having anti-scratch coatings, but I was hoping someone would be able to confirm. :(

EW1066
11-16-13, 21:50
Forgive my ignorance, but what coating would you put on glass to keep it from scratching? I don't understand the need unless the objective lens is made of polycarb or something similar that is softer than glass. Unless you are trying to protect the coatings.

E-DUB

bp7178
11-17-13, 00:36
All lenses in scopes, scopes worth anything, will have some type of anti-reflective coating. AR coatings are very easy to scratch. The anti-scratch is more or less a final coating of the AR process. AR coatings are layers, with the top typically being a hydrophobic (water beading) which is anti-scratch.

Glass is very scratch resistant, much more so than CR, hi-index plastics or poly, but ultimately its the coating which needs the scratch protection. Not the substrate.