PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint M2 to T-1…is it worth it to switch?

jbsf3
05-07-08, 01:19
I am currently deployed and due home in August. I’ve been watching many of you folks discuss your purchase of Aimpoint T/H-1s with great interest- it looks like a phenomenal little optic. I am considering swapping out my Aimpoint M2 that is mounted in an old style LaRue (non-locking lever) mount for a T-1 in a LaRue/ADM mount. I read that a T-1 with either of the mounts weighs about 7 ounces. The M2 by itself weighs in at 7 ounces and I assume (haven’t been able to find any weights) that with the mount we are talking maybe 12 ouches total, if not less.
My question for those that have had both the T/H-1 and an M2 or similar, was the swap worth the price? With the reticles being roughly the same (4MOA) and the weighs being not too different (from what I could find) it seems that the size and possibly battery life are the only differences. I’m trying my best to avoid the temptation of keeping up with the Jones’s and getting the latest and greatest when the M2 works just fine for me, but a then I think that a smaller/lighter carbine setup can’t be a bad thing. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

FJB
05-07-08, 04:07
jbsf3,
The CompM2 w/ LT mount weighs approx. 11.7 ounces. The Micro T-1 w/LT66X Tall Riser weighs approx. 6 ounces. A weight savings of 6 ounces (1/2 lb is 8 ounces). So the weight savings is actually pretty good.

The 4 MOA of the Micro T-1 is actually closer to 3 MOA, but Aimpoint rounded up to 4 MOA. When the intensity is turned down it appears to be almost 2 MOA in size.

Bottomline is yes the Micro T-1 is well worth the switch. Then again I am biased.

S/F

jbsf3
05-07-08, 04:15
FJB- thanks for the info, much appreciated, PM sent.

CarlosDJackal
05-07-08, 10:25
FWIW, I replaced my 2MOA CompM3 with a T-1 on my trunk rifle and have not looked back. :)

FJB
05-07-08, 12:28
Watch Part 3 of "Aimpoint: The Red Dot Solution" at www.downrange.tv/show2 to learn more about the Micro T-1.

S/F

The Archangel
05-07-08, 13:40
I am currently deployed and due home in August. I’ve been watching many of you folks discuss your purchase of Aimpoint T/H-1s with great interest- it looks like a phenomenal little optic. I am considering swapping out my Aimpoint M2 that is mounted in an old style LaRue (non-locking lever) mount for a T-1 in a LaRue/ADM mount. I read that a T-1 with either of the mounts weighs about 7 ounces. The M2 by itself weighs in at 7 ounces and I assume (haven’t been able to find any weights) that with the mount we are talking maybe 12 ouches total, if not less.
My question for those that have had both the T/H-1 and an M2 or similar, was the swap worth the price? With the reticles being roughly the same (4MOA) and the weighs being not too different (from what I could find) it seems that the size and possibly battery life are the only differences. I’m trying my best to avoid the temptation of keeping up with the Jones’s and getting the latest and greatest when the M2 works just fine for me, but a then I think that a smaller/lighter carbine setup can’t be a bad thing. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes DEFINATELY worth it... First dibs on your M2 in LT
:o

PushPull
05-07-08, 15:48
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=vid249&cat=4&page=1&search=&since=&status

Great Micro application.

jbsf3
05-07-08, 21:27
Thanks for all the great information guys, please keep it coming.

Victor
05-08-08, 21:35
jbsf3,
The CompM2 w/ LT mount weighs approx. 11.7 ounces. The Micro T-1 w/LT66X Tall Riser weighs approx. 6 ounces. A weight savings of 6 ounces (1/2 lb is 8 ounces). So the weight savings is actually pretty good.

The 4 MOA of the Micro T-1 is actually closer to 3 MOA, but Aimpoint rounded up to 4 MOA. When the intensity is turned down it appears to be almost 2 MOA in size.

Bottomline is yes the Micro T-1 is well worth the switch. Then again I am biased.

S/F

Well I cannot be construed as bias! I dropped ALL my EO's and went to the T1 for each and every fighting platform! Works at NIGHT (my favorite) and of course during the day for those non-vampires! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Aimpoint%20Micro%20T1/AP-T1-NVD.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Aimpoint%20Micro%20T1/AP-T1-NVF.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Aimpoint%20Micro%20T1/MicroT1PVS2.jpg

Jerm
05-12-08, 19:31
is the T1 a 20mm tube?

noone thinks the bigger 30mm(not necessarily the M2) offers any benefit over the 20mm?

just curious,i thought the bigger optics may offer a little more leeway.

The Archangel
05-12-08, 21:13
is the T1 a 20mm tube?

noone thinks the bigger 30mm(not necessarily the M2) offers any benefit over the 20mm?

just curious,i thought the bigger optics may offer a little more leeway.

Shooting with both eyes open (like you should with an Aimpoint), I find that I like the 20mm tube of the T1 better.

Yojimbo
05-20-08, 13:03
Do guys you find the smaller T1 tube harder to use in unconventional positions like SBU prone? Is it much harder than using the fullsize M3?

Blinking Dog
05-20-08, 14:11
I was in a carbine class recently and used my H-1, and it lived up to the hype. I have it on a LaRue tall mount.

As for dot size, if you turn it up as bright as possible the dot gets big and kinda looks like a star. If you turn it up only to the point you need it it seems to be a tad smaller, and nicely round.

One point, as some folks have noted on other threads, when you get out to 300 yds or beyond the dot size is large compared to the target, meaning you are likely to lose a bit of accuracy. But if you already use a 4 MOA dot you may have experienced this.

lindertw
05-20-08, 20:20
I just installed a T-1 w/LaRue tall mount on my Noveske build today (traded in a CompC3 that I purchased last Christmas but never installed). To confirm what FJB mentioned:

T-1 + LaRue tall mount + rubber lens covers = 6.0oz
T-1 + LaRue tall mount (no lens covers) = 5.7oz

After adjusting the T-1 for my Noveske, I removed the sight and installed it on my Colt 6920 and was surprised to see that the dot is pretty much dead on on the Colt! I'll confirm it this weekend at the range, but if I can get away with minute of badguy on my backup rifle with no adjustments then that's cool with me (at least until I can raise the scratch for a second T-1 setup).

http://tinyurl.com/6jzu69

Harv
05-21-08, 07:58
There is no comparison... the T-1 is the Shit over the M2

I'm a die hard M2 user and have been for many years.. recently I got to run a T-1 in a 3 day carbine class that I put over 1500 rds down range... The T-1 is the next evolution in RDS sights...

There are no down sides to this sight.. smaller, lighter, crazy,stupid battery life, a on/off dial that I find to be just about perfect...

The 4MOA dot (I believe it is actually 3.8MOA) is just perfect... I had no problem grouping 5 shots , slow fire prone on the head of a target at 50 yds (we're talking 1-2" when I'm doing what I need to)

I can turn down the intensity and get a nice round and very precise dot, honestly, I had it so small, that I don't know what a 2MOA dot would have given me that this one did not.

And for all you EOTech guys who always rave about Field of view........ (Which is dumb, if your using it correctly they al have the same field of view) This sight blows doors on EO......

If your not buying this sight.... then your wrong......
I will be getting one of these sights as soon as I free up funds...

Submariner
05-22-08, 07:04
Are you going to buy it (gulp)... new?:D