PDA

View Full Version : My "Cool story bro" for tonight: WWII Okinawa vet encounter

ABNAK
11-15-13, 23:05
I work at a VA hospital. One particular old fellow I've been taking care of for the last week or so is Mr. B. Found out tonight that he is a WWII vet, Okinawa with the 1st MarDiv. I regularly talk with vets when they're willing to do so, but Mr. B is hard of hearing and his son happened to be visiting tonight.

Mr. B was 19yo when he went to Okinawa. He was there a month before he was wounded on 1May45. He suffered severe damage to his hand and fingers (almost lost his fingers) as well as gashes in his head from a samurai sword. Now, if you are grievously wounded by a friggin' sword you KNOW it was up close and personal. He was eventually evac'd all the way back to the states where he spent months recovering at Bethesda. According to his son his hand has bothered him for years but looking at them now (which I did) you can see only a hint of crookedness.

Mr. B was on a machinegun crew (I'll assume a Browning 1919). He told me his unit suffered 85% casualties; absolutely mind-boggling. Two days after he was wounded his remaining crew members were killed. A few years ago the family of one of Mr. B's comrades located him, apparently through letters written by their grandfather whom they never knew. They travelled from Ohio to Tennessee to meet him. Mr. B's son said he never spoke of the war and deflected questions he and his siblings had asked as kids. However, Mr. B began to open up finally after all those decades when the family of his long-dead friend arrived. They wanted desperately to "know" the grandfather they had never actually known; Mr. B accomodated as best he could. This apparently was a cathartic event as Mr. B would finally talk, albeit limited, about his WWII experiences. He also got to do an Honor Flight, which I thought was awesome. While in D.C. the guy pushing his wheelchair told him he needed to open up......it had already begun.

Godspeed to these guys who still breathe among us. My FIL is another (Europe infantry vet). Although it is the inexorable march of time that will eventually claim us all one day, it is sad that their numbers are rapidly dwindling.

Oh......Mr. B still has that samurai sword. ;) Seems it didn't work out too well for the Japanese wielding it.

SeriousStudent
11-15-13, 23:17
Please tell Mr. B thanks very, very much for his service to our country.

It's really humbling to walk over the same ground where those guys fought, and think of their actions. I was stationed on Okinawa, and spent a fair bit of time wandering about the terrain there. And nobody was shooting at me.

It's hard to grasp what those guys went through, even when you are standing at the Shuri Line, or at Suicide Cliff. I've got pictures of the memorials at both places somewhere. One is a polished black obsidian sphere to gaze into.

Mr. B must have been a serious individual, as we used to say. I'm really glad he's still here with us. Please shake his hand for me, the next time you see him.

Oh, and that really is a cool story, bro.

ABNAK
11-16-13, 01:33
Please tell Mr. B thanks very, very much for his service to our country.

It's really humbling to walk over the same ground where those guys fought, and think of their actions. I was stationed on Okinawa, and spent a fair bit of time wandering about the terrain there. And nobody was shooting at me.

It's hard to grasp what those guys went through, even when you are standing at the Shuri Line, or at Suicide Cliff. I've got pictures of the memorials at both places somewhere. One is a polished black obsidian sphere to gaze into.

Mr. B must have been a serious individual, as we used to say. I'm really glad he's still here with us. Please shake his hand for me, the next time you see him.

Oh, and that really is a cool story, bro.

Will do.

Years ago when I was in high school I read William Manchester's "Goodbye Darkness". He had served on Okinawa as a Marine. He was also seriously wounded. It was a gripping tale. Ironic how Mr. B's and Manchester's (and countless others I'm sure) being wounded----even severely----had a silver lining: they LIVED. Had they not been wounded they'd likely be dead. Fate.......

Okinawa, and Iwo Jima just before it, were the deciding factors in the decision to use the atomic bomb. Taking an entire island-chain nation of Iwo's and Okinawa's was unfathomable.

I mentioned the casualties being mind-boggling earlier. Many do not know that over 5,000 sailors died off the coast of Okinawa; that's not even counting the casualties ON the island. Think about that figure for a second....5,000 offshore alone! We've lost a little over that in 12 years of war in two countries (not in ANY way demeaning the loss of life in the GWOT). Makes one wonder if America could ever tolerate that type of bloodletting again. Hopefully we'll never have to find out.

Ed L.
11-16-13, 02:55
One of my former neighbors was the late Norbert Theodore "Nobby" Tiemann, who was a WWII and Korea Vet & former Governor of Nebraska. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Tiemann.

He was nicknamed "Nobby"because it was short for his first name of Norbert, and because some of the fingers on his right hand were little more than knobs as a result of a wound in the Korean War.

I remember him as an older retired guy who was always friendly and telling corny jokes that were funny because he was the one telling them.

Shortly after I bought an M-1 carbine I was driving down the alleyway on my street when I saw Nobby tossing out some trash. So I pulled over and said hello to him and told him I had something that he might be interested in. So I stepped out and discretely took the M1 Carbine out of its case on the back seat, locked back the bolt and held it up paralell to the back seat, offering it for him to hold if he wanted to. This is a discrete area of single story houses and there was no one else around and my SUV was parked so it would block the view. He picked it up, and commented that he carried one of these in Korea an WWII. I mentioned that some people had criticized the gun for not being effective. His response was "None of the Japs that I ever killed with one complained about it."

I then asked if he he had seen the HBO series the Pacific. He said that he had seen a few episodes and didn't really care for it--that certain things didn't really ring true to him. I don't remember the details of that.

Mac5.56
11-16-13, 09:51
Amazing. Thanks for the story!

Abraham
11-16-13, 16:24
My Dad was in Okinawa.

He diminished his experiences there as "mopping up".

He told me stories of a 2nd Lt. who like to strap on a flame thrower and coax the cave hiding Jap soldiers to give up and come out, who would eventually, hands raised in surrender and how he'd then turn the flame thrower on them, all the while laughing like the insane bastard he was. He told me of such war atrocities and that it wasn't only one side that participated in horror...we had a hand in such things too...

He also told me of throwing a grenade up onto a Jap concrete machine gun pill box, but mistimed it. The grenade rolled back down the ramp of the pillbox and exploded very close to him, lifting him in the air and blowing out his eardrums without his actually being hit with any shrapnel. He thought doing that was not only embarrassing, but very funny. His hearing was ruined for the rest of his life, but admitted it was his own darn fault...

ABNAK
11-16-13, 18:35
He told me stories of a 2nd Lt. who like to strap on a flame thrower and coax the cave hiding Jap soldiers to give up and come out, who would eventually, hands raised in surrender and how he'd then turn the flame thrower on them, all the while laughing like the insane bastard he was. He told me of such war atrocities and that it wasn't only one side that participated in horror...we had a hand in such things too...

My grandfather point-blanked a Jap with his hands raised. My FIL's unit shot SS prisoners. Ugly shit happens in war; I didn't walk a mile in their boots and I'll not criticize. The utter brutality of the things they endured can affect a man....ANY man. I'll say this though: our guys didn't go into it with brutal methodology, unlike the Japanese and Nazis.

Under today's microscope they'd all be in Leavenworth. Thank God they're not.