PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the S&W 686 SSR

KC_in_Bama
11-16-13, 02:54
I currently have a Marlin Model 1894CSS and have been looking for a good companion revolver in the same caliber. One of my buddies suggested it so that I could shoot USPSA revolver division with it since it's factory-tuned. Opinions? Thanks!!

gtmtnbiker98
11-16-13, 09:24
The Pro Series is not what I would call factory tuned. The only factory tuned coming out of S&W is the Performance Center. Personally, I'd get a stock 686 4" and make improvements where necessary. JMHO

Mr. Smith
11-16-13, 15:53
Get an older 4inch 66 you will love it the L frame is big for no good reason.

TiroFijo
11-16-13, 16:48
Get an older 4inch 66 you will love it the L frame is big for no good reason.

No good reason other than frame durability and beefer cylinder strenght (admittedly both of minor importance to most users) and those pesky forcing come cracks. Add to this that no more K frame magnum barrels are made, and if something happens to yours good luck with your search...

If you want to shoot a lot of magnum loads, I would get a nice pre-lock 586 o 686.

Mr. Smith
11-16-13, 22:31
In the op he let us know he would be using the revolver in USPSA that was the reason I pointed him to a 66.
He will not use magnums in USPSA

I have shot out some 19/66 in my life and it will take about 7000rd of magnum to gut one.
With ammo prices on 357mag that would be about as much money as the National debt.
So in short I thought the lighter faster gun would be best.

TiroFijo
11-17-13, 06:11
Sorry, I missed the USPSA part :)

I reload 90%+ of my ammo, and 7000 rounds is not too much, magnum or not.

Mr. Smith
11-17-13, 07:06
I would agree 7000rd is not too much but having done it in the past it sure hurts in magnum.
With 38 the gun would be good for a long time.
At my shop I have a gun in for repair that the customer is over 20k it's a model 10 from 1960.
He is getting the first hand put in an from what he tells the second cylinder stop.

TiroFijo
11-17-13, 07:47
I would agree 7000rd is not too much but having done it in the past it sure hurts in magnum.
With 38 the gun would be good for a long time.
At my shop I have a gun in for repair that the customer is over 20k it's a model 10 from 1960.
He is getting the first hand put in an from what he tells the second cylinder stop.

People think that revolvers are somewhat eternal, but the thuth is they probably require more skilled maintenance (compared to changing recoils springs or other minor drop in parts in pistols) than semiautos, specially if you shoot them fast in DA and use one of these crane abusing fast reload techniques. Much less if all you do is shoot SA and a little sloow DA now and then, and reload slowly and carefully.

Fly'nBuff
11-20-13, 21:06
I've been exceedingly happy with my SSR. It was my first L-frame. The trigger is not as nice as any of my PC guns, but it's quite serviceable. Plenty accurate and plenty fast, for my skill level anyhow. I'd buy it again.

BigDog
11-21-13, 05:51
Me too, especially after having mine tweaked by Sam Hatfield in Manassas. DA trigger is about 7 pounds, SA is a little under 3. The tool steel parts helped with that, methinks.

KC_in_Bama
11-21-13, 13:04
Well I don't need any more convincing, sounds like getting one will work fine for me. I'm not into the traditional or "old school" look and feel of the older S&W's. I like the SSR's look---different and has some modern touches to it. Now I have to save up and find one :laugh:

jh9
11-21-13, 15:35
Feb 2014 8-minor becomes legal. If you're willing to shell out the cash for a 686SSR then you're willing to drop some coin. Wait. Either find an 8-shot 627 to take advantage of the new rules or a 6-shot 625 so you can at least be scored major. In either case you get moonclips which are just unquestionably more appropriate for USPSA. Speedloaders suck for games that use a timer.

686SSR was purpose-built for IDPA. And it is a good IDPA SSR gun. That said, Mr Smith has the right of it. The K-frame (I think Craig Buckland still runs a 67?) tends to be what most of the winning shooters use. That's not to say you can't win matches with a 686, but the Ks are more nimble. It was a closer call when the power floor was 125. At 105 the Ks take a notable lead.

I like 686s. I have more of them than any other single make and model of pistol. But you need to be realistic about what you want (USPSA) and what you're getting (speedloader-driven 6-shot major with long brass and a lot of metal between the chambers to slow your reloads down). Look at what people use to win matches.

jh9
11-21-13, 15:43
Also, as to any of the 'pro' series guns being tuned...no. I've got a 627 pro that I have just a bit more than 700 rounds through (all club level matches). The 'tuning' from the factory was just installing a Wolff Type-2 spring. The rebound was untouched, as was the frame. Haven't tested the gun with anything but Federal primers, but I wouldn't expect reliability with anything else. (Could be wrong; this spring when relaxed has the Type-2 bend, but is a good bit thicker than the Wolff springs I've seen in the past.)

The PC does a better job, but they won't come close to what a real revolversmith can accomplish. Especially if you're willing to throw reliability with non-Federal primers to the wind.

KC_in_Bama
11-22-13, 22:20
Feb 2014 8-minor becomes legal. If you're willing to shell out the cash for a 686SSR then you're willing to drop some coin. Wait. Either find an 8-shot 627 to take advantage of the new rules or a 6-shot 625 so you can at least be scored major. In either case you get moonclips which are just unquestionably more appropriate for USPSA. Speedloaders suck for games that use a timer.

686SSR was purpose-built for IDPA. And it is a good IDPA SSR gun. That said, Mr Smith has the right of it. The K-frame (I think Craig Buckland still runs a 67?) tends to be what most of the winning shooters use. That's not to say you can't win matches with a 686, but the Ks are more nimble. It was a closer call when the power floor was 125. At 105 the Ks take a notable lead.

I like 686s. I have more of them than any other single make and model of pistol. But you need to be realistic about what you want (USPSA) and what you're getting (speedloader-driven 6-shot major with long brass and a lot of metal between the chambers to slow your reloads down). Look at what people use to win matches.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to get one and start shooting IDPA matches...Thanks!!