PDA

View Full Version : Question about transporting through Illinois...

Animal_Mother556
11-16-13, 12:51
I am going to be in Illinois briefly and am wondering if I can carry loaded magazines if it is separate from the unloaded cased pistol....

superr.stu
11-17-13, 19:01
Yes you can.

AlphaKoncepts
11-18-13, 12:18
Short answer is yes, you could even store the magazines in the same container as the pistol if the pistol is broken down and/or not readily accessible.

You may want to check out this document by the Illinois State Police: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

BY THE WAY, if you are legal to carry a concealed firearm within your home state of residence, did you know you can now, as an out of state resident, carry a concealed firearm within your vehicle without an Illinois issued carry concealed permit? This is my layman's interpretation of the law you can read the full law here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf all 168 pages. Look at e) at the bottom of page 18 and top of page 19...

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her...

...vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Ledanek
01-17-14, 20:15
Just a follow up question.

Satisfying all requirements as listed (http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf)

I do not see any restrictions on making stops, i.e. doing some grocery or doing some shopping along the route from residence to range, or vice versa.

Am I correct in the assumption?

AlphaKoncepts
09-10-15, 19:42
Yes, if you are carrying the firearm as a non resident according to the vehicle safe harbor exemption of the illinois firearm concealed carry act, you may make intermediate stops so long as the firearm remains in the vehicle, with the vehicle either locked or within a locked case within the vehicle when you are not in your vehicle. I am not a lawyer and do not pretend to be one, but am a firearm instructor and you should verify all legal questions with your criminal defense attorney and if you don't have one on speed dial, you should.

Straight Shooter
12-18-15, 15:14
I just found out I too must go up near Chicago for a few days before Christmas. Are Glock 15-17 round mags legal? Do I need to carry 10 rounders?

Beef15
12-18-15, 18:03
I just found out I too must go up near Chicago for a few days before Christmas. Are Glock 15-17 round mags legal? Do I need to carry 10 rounders?
No capacity restrictions in IL, Chicago itself, I don't know.

Straight Shooter
12-19-15, 16:15
THANKS Beef15!

AlphaKoncepts
01-05-16, 20:48
No capacity restrictions in IL, Chicago itself, I don't know.
Yes, there are no Illinois magazine restrictions however some municipalities have magazine restrictions. Allegedly these restrictions do not apply if you are carrying a concealed firearm. I say allegedly because it depends who you ask. Chicago says it does apply, but nobody has been arrested for it to my knowledge.

duece71
03-01-16, 20:36
What happens if you are staying in a hotel for pleasure in downtown and keep everything in the hotel room whilst out seeing the sights? (Risky, I know) is it legal to transport by car, a glock plus mags and keep them in the hotel room?

AlphaKoncepts
03-02-16, 18:14
What happens if you are staying in a hotel for pleasure in downtown and keep everything in the hotel room whilst out seeing the sights? (Risky, I know) is it legal to transport by car, a glock plus mags and keep them in the hotel room? Excellent question about hotels. While the hotel room is your domicile, the lobby and common areas are not. Therefore, in my layman opinion, you may conceal carry or even open carry IN your hotel room, but you must transport through the lobbies. Again I am not a lawyer and all I can say as a layman is what I would do in your situation.

There is a distinction between transporting and carrying. Can you carry by car? Yes if you are licensed in your home state and the firearm doesn't leave the vehicle. Is it legal to transport in the car? Yes so long as you follow the law of broken down in a non function state OR unloaded and in a case OR not readily accessible.