PDA

View Full Version : What's a good entry-level chronograph?

DuGaul
05-07-08, 09:43
I'm looking to buy an entry-level chronograph. I don't need the computer graphing stuff - just a readout is good enough for me.

Any recommendations?

YukonGlocker
05-07-08, 21:57
I use the Alpha Shooting Chrony.
It does everything I need.

dodge
05-08-08, 08:38
I have a F-1 shooting Chrony and does everything that I want. Maybe the best$75 that I spent.

markm
05-08-08, 08:45
We had a high power shooter tell us that the F1 chrony was acceptable for pistol loads at best. I used one to confirm my rifle loads. The velocity spreads were pretty wide... 40-50 fps on 5 round strings.

I think it'll get you fairly close.

jmart
05-08-08, 13:37
I have a Shooting Chrony, the red one. I think it's an Alpha, but I'm can't remember.

32 shot string, provides AVG, ES, SD stats.

A bit tempermental if it's clear and sunny, you must use sky screens and even then it can miss a shot. I live in CO and shoot at around 6,000 ft elevation, so UV is a problem. maybe not a problem if you are lower, and definitely no problem if cloudy or hazy.

If you get a Shooting Chrony, get the ones that have a remoted control&display unit that you set on your bench. Much easier to read the numbers right in front of you than the ones that are 15ft away. Otherwise you'll need the remote control unit which allows you to scroll through functions and reset it from the bench (but the display is still integral w/the chrono, 15ft away).

Erich
05-08-08, 13:54
I've got a Beta Master Chrony, and it does every bit as good a job on rifle loads as does my friend's PACT. I think demigod's high power shooting friend might not be an expert on chronographs. :cool:

The Beta Master has the remote readout/controls (wonderful to have) and will calculate mean, SD and ES for you. It has the ability to remember six ten-shot strings (I just write them down as they are shot) for later printout.

I had one of the original Shooting Chronys back in the late '80s - man, they're much easier to use now. You might consider replacing the metal rods that hold the sunshades with wooden dowels - less drama if (when!) you shoot one that way. In the arc-lamp NM sun, I often have to pay attention to how the electric eyes are getting shaded, and have jerry-rigged some supplemental shades out of paper plates for when they're needed.

Their warranty service is fast and no-hassle, too.

markm
05-08-08, 14:08
I think demigod's high power shooting friend might not be an expert on chronographs. :cool:

It's possible. But he knows a lot more than I do. I can't even speak on his level. He's a precision shooting guru, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a chronograph guru.

I should have asked him more about it, but it does make sense that the cheapest chronograph you can get wouldn't be a precision instrument.

Like I said, I used an F1 for my loads, and it worked good enough to let me know my velocities were where they should be.

Erich
05-08-08, 14:43
He might well be a chronograph expert, but the statement that the Chronys are good for no more than clocking handgun loads is bovine excrement. I've been handloading for over twenty years and chronographing my loads for almost as long, and the Chronys give accurate results. :)

markm
05-08-08, 15:24
The F1 specifically is what he was talking about. (the base model) Not the entire Chrony line.

Again... I'm not certain of his knowledge on Chronograph models because I didn't dig deeper into the subject, and his accuracy measurement needs are different than mine. He's measuring Camp Perry loads. Based on my spreads I'd guess that my F1 was within 40 fps of accuracy which is good enough for building bulk ammo.

YukonGlocker
05-08-08, 16:12
You can buy a whole package of those cheap, wood skewers (to grill with) to use instead of the metal rods. They fit great. And if you break or lose them, it won't matter.

ToddG
05-08-08, 20:05
Quartz or mechanical?

Or am I getting forums mixed up? :p

Telperion
05-08-08, 23:36
The Shooting Chrony models are all pretty affordable and accurate. Like jmart says, get a "Master" model with a remote display, makes things much easier.

KiloSierra
05-09-08, 09:46
Someone in a magazine tested the current commercially available chronographs in a magazine against an Oehler 35 (?). They all gave average velocities within a few fps and sd's within a couple fps. Of course it was a test in a controlled environment with only one of each model being tested, so your results may vary.

8200rpm
05-10-08, 12:55
The F1 specifically is what he was talking about. (the base model) Not the entire Chrony line.

Again... I'm not certain of his knowledge on Chronograph models because I didn't dig deeper into the subject, and his accuracy measurement needs are different than mine. He's measuring Camp Perry loads. Based on my spreads I'd guess that my F1 was within 40 fps of accuracy which is good enough for building bulk ammo.

The guts (sensors and electronics) of the entire Chrony line are pretty much identical.

You can covert a F1 to Alpha (statistics... Measures High, Low and Average Velocities, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviations) by adding a remote switch or making one yourself from a set of stereo headphones by splicing the wires.

To upgrade to Alpha Chrony memory and statistics, just order the Remote Control for U.S. $ 12.95

The Beta and Gamma models feature a PC interface and additional memory capability, but do you really need 500-shot memory or a shot-to-shot timer?

Choose the "Master" version of any model for a remote display in lieu of the onboard display. Personally I find the remote display unnecessary since the onboard LED is easy to read. If you can do irons at 100 yards, you can read the display at 10 feet. YMMV.

Start with an F-1 for around $70, and upgrade as you need. For a nominal fee, Shooting Chrony allows you to upgrade or trade in any model.

I wanted to verify the velocity of my 7.5x55mm Swiss handloads, so I ordered the F-1. Statistics can be done at home on Excel, or at the range with a pair old unwanted stereo headphones.

OldNavyGuy
05-22-08, 09:54
this is the one i use, http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=852429

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=852429&t=11082005

it is in my OPINION a very good "entry level" or "beginners" chrono

nksmfamjp
06-25-08, 21:37
I use the Alpha Shooting Chrony.
It does everything I need.

+1, but I'm not sure it is entry level. It does all I need.

rob_s
09-16-10, 10:23
Want to rekindle this discussion as I may be having to return my loaner! :D

I'd like to maybe find something with a remote/readout that I can have at the bench with me.

Erich
09-16-10, 10:59
My Beta Master Shooting Chrony continues to give yeoman service - and has the controls and readout right there on the bench with you.

chadbag
09-16-10, 17:35
Whatever you do, get one with separate sky screens, not the ones where the chronograph unit and sensors are all in ones (The Chrony line are mostly all-in-one). One of these days, you will thank me when you are just buying a new sensor instead of the whole new chronograph.

Ask me how I know.

It is a little more expensive ($199) but I use the CED M2

rob_s
02-21-11, 10:08
I'm bumping this again, as I'm still no closer to a solution. There are an amazing number of these things available, at a pretty wide range of prices, and will all sorts of add-ons.

Just at Midway alone...

$240 PACT Professional XP Chronograph with Improved Skyscreen Mounting Bracket and Case (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=988710)
$210 Shooting Chrony Gama Master Chronograph with Ballistic Chrony Printer (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=331656)
$210 CED Millennium 2 Chronograph System (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=773378)
$190 Shooting Chrony Gama Chronograph with Ballistic Chrony Printer (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=692365)
$140 RCBS AmmoMaster Chronograph (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=911572)
$135 Shooting Chrony Beta Master Chronograph (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=244882)
$130 PACT Model 1 XP Chronograph with Improved Skyscreen Mounting Bracket (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=369265)
$120 Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=852429)
$110 Shooting Chrony F1 Master Chronograph (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=688064)
$105 Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=306796)

and on, and on, and on... The CED Millennium 2 is what I've used before, but the plastic parts gave me pause. I do like that the screens are the only things downrange though in case you blast one there isn't much you can't easily and cheaply replace. Not sure I'm wanting to drop $210 on a chrony though...

It looks like Shooting Chrony has Gama Master, Gama, Beta Master, M1 Master, F1 Master, Alpha Master, Beta, Alpha, etc. Does "master" mean it comes with the remote readout or something else? In reading their site it appears that is the only change to the models, other than memory, computer interface, etc. so if I bought the cheapest one it wouldn't be any less accurate than the most expensive one.

I'm really interested in hearing from folks that have used these, in outdoor settings, etc. and what their experiences are.

JStor
02-21-11, 10:16
I use the Oehler 35P, and they quit making them for a few years. I believe I read somewhere they'd started offering them for sale again. Before all this newer crop of chrony hardware became available, they used to be considered one of the best. I don't know how they stack up now.

shootist~
02-21-11, 12:41
Don't get a Chrony when you can get a PACT (or better) for almost the same price. I've had a PACT for 20+ years and it's been solid and reliable. I had an early Chrony.

I replaced one skyscreen after a birdshot impact - it was still reading after the glass cover and part of the housing was shattered. Also replaced a diffuser arm after wind blew over my tri-pod.

I've checked mine against another mid priced unit (a CED, IIRC) with good results. A friends Chrony reads noticeably faster than my PACT.

wilco423
02-21-11, 13:02
rob_s,

I have a Shooting Chrony F-1. It's the only chrono I've ever used, so my frame of reference is limited, but I like it well enough. I'd say I only have around 100 rds through it. I'm probably going to get a remote display for it, just so I don't have to write down the info after each shot like I'm doing now. For that reason I'd recommend the "master" version, which comes with the remote (I believe it's the same otherwise). It folds into a durable, compact unit that travels well and fits easily into a range bag.

I've only used it indoors, and it's been a little finicky. My range is a 2 lane with floodlights, one of which I aim down onto the unit. I use the plastic light diffusers since I can't get the light shining directly downwards over the sensors. I'd say 1 shot in 10 is not registered by either one or both sensors (the unit tells you which one didn't read). I suppose I could try a brighter bulb and see if it helps.

My impression is that while it might not be the most accurate chrono out there, it's fine for my purposes (verifying duty load velocities and recreational level reloading). For $100 I'd say its GTG.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like any specific data on it.

Artos
02-21-11, 13:08
I use the Oehler 35P, and they quit making them for a few years. I believe I read somewhere they'd started offering them for sale again. Before all this newer crop of chrony hardware became available, they used to be considered one of the best. I don't know how they stack up now.

The 35P was one of the best ones ever produced...i had heard they quit making them as well.

Rob, if you can find one of these....snag it.

chadbag
02-21-11, 21:09
I was given some data several years ago. The data came to me from someone connected to CED (as a disclaimer). However, the data was generated by some European government group independent of CED. It showed the CED was the most consistent and reliable of the consumer grade chronographs including the Oehler 35P.

I don't have the info any more at hand so this is from memory. (It was testing the previous CED Millenium chronograph, not its replacement the CED M2 chronograph).

rob_s
02-22-11, 04:39
The 35P was one of the best ones ever produced...i had heard they quit making them as well.

Rob, if you can find one of these....snag it.

They made, or are making, a special run. They are $600 with shipping. Little much for me...

Nightvisionary
02-25-11, 03:34
The Chrony F1 has served me well for many years. Just be aware that not only is it not water proof it's not water resistant. The circuit board is open to the elements. I found that out a couple months ago when it started raining. There is a foam pad that cushions the circuit board. The foam soaked up the rain and shorted out the Chrony. It worked fine after I took it home and dried everything out with a blow dryer. I have since rigged up a waterproof cover I made from a cheap $3 shower curtain.

itsturtle
03-08-11, 22:02
Forgive me for the slightly off topic question, but does anyone make a chronograph that doesn't have to sit 10+ feet from the muzzle? I have a free range by my house but you shoot from a bench, through a wall, and down a 15 foot steel pipe. Not sure how far those remote screens reach. Would be nice if one worked closer to 1-3 feet away.

I can shoot from my front yard, but my backdrop is kinda iffy and neighbors call in a noise complaint. Knob Creek is a bit of a drive just to test a hundred rounds.

chadbag
03-08-11, 22:12
Forgive me for the slightly off topic question, but does anyone make a chronograph that doesn't have to sit 10+ feet from the muzzle? I have a free range by my house but you shoot from a bench, through a wall, and down a 15 foot steel pipe. Not sure how far those remote screens reach. Would be nice if one worked closer to 1-3 feet away.

I can shoot from my front yard, but my backdrop is kinda iffy and neighbors call in a noise complaint. Knob Creek is a bit of a drive just to test a hundred rounds.

The reason they need to be 6+ feet away for handgun and 10+ feet away for rifle is that the blast and stuff can disrupt the readings... Burning gases, powder, etc I think plus the blast itself moving or shifting the sky screens.

itsturtle
03-08-11, 22:18
Makes sense. Just sucks having no way to shoot for free and be able to use the chronograph. Mostly hoping someone made one that claimed and was reviewed accurate at closer to 5-8 foot for a rifle.

shootist~
03-08-11, 23:17
Could you set it at the end of the pipe (for rifle)? Ballistic software should be able to work it back to muzzle velocity.

itsturtle
03-08-11, 23:28
If I am the only one shooting at that time I probably could. But I would have to go back and forth into the range to make sure it was lined up and such. If it is crowded, the locals don't seem friendly. It is a very awkward set up, but it is free. If it comes down to it, I will just have to drive to Knob Creek.

LennieT
03-09-11, 13:20
I purchased a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph from Midway about two months ago and have fired hundred of rounds over it. Once you start testing your reloads, you start testing your guns and combinations and the next thing you know you are shooting lots of rounds over the chronograph and ending up with lots of data to digest.

The Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph is the only one I own so I can't compare. Hopping to find somebody at the range that has a different brand so we can compare velocities.

1. I shoot from 12 to 15 feet away, but I can easily read the big LCD screen that displays the velocities. I was shocked at that because I don't see all that well any more. This is a great feature. No wires, no mess.

2. It will store 9 strings of 99 shots each. It will store the strings even after you turn the chronograph off (as long as you don't let the battery go dead). It has a place for a spare battery, nice touch.

3. It missed two shoots the first time I took it out. Has not missed a shoot since.

4. Last time started off in the sun and noticed as I was shooting that shade had crept over the chronograph. Wondered what affect that would have....none that I was aware of.

5. Just checked and the battery is still good (I remembered to turn it off last time) and all the shots from the last trip (nine days ago) are still there. I have been writing the strings down at the range, but that is a pain, I think I will just let the chronograph store the strings and then enter the data from the chronograph into my computer when I get home (a USB interface would be nice, it does a OPTIONAL Digital Remote Control with IR Port that will allow you to download the data to a computer using some windows crap.).

6. Longer barrels shoot faster than shorter barrels and heaver loads shoot faster then lighter loads, so everything is constant with what you would expect, but so far I have no way of testing the absolute accuracy of the this chronograph.

7. It does some math, but so does my computer program and they agree! Hi, Low, Average, Number of shots, Standard Deviation and Extreme Spread.

Lennie

Supergrade
03-13-11, 17:58
F-1 is a fine starter...

number9xd
02-29-12, 20:57
I purchased a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph from Midway about two months ago and have fired hundred of rounds over it........

Lennie

Was looking for an entry level chrono and ran across your post. Did some more web searching on this one and found it was had at Graf & Sons for a good price and ordered one. Thanks for the info!

Magelk
03-01-12, 20:51
Was looking for an entry level chrono and ran across your post. Did some more web searching on this one and found it was had at Graf & Sons for a good price and ordered one. Thanks for the info!

I just bought the same one (competiton electronics) a couple weeks ago. My first trip to the range with it went well at first but then I decided to shoot one of the rods. Went and found that down range and bent her back in to shape. It worked great for about 10 rounds out of a glock 23, but when I switched to my AR, it fell over and broke the freakin tripod I had. So, take out operator error and the chrony worked great.

Z71Silverado09
03-06-12, 05:32
thanks for posting this ive been wanting one myself

Pappabear
04-23-20, 16:24
I bought the Caldwell Pro Premium Kit. Any Tips for using the advanced features, watch outs etc. Very excited to use with my iPhone, how well does that work?

Any advice appreciated.

PB

mark5pt56
04-23-20, 17:01
I've had a basic crono, Magnetto Speed and nothing now. My buddy has a Labradar, it is nice but pricey. Set up is easy it seems.

titsonritz
04-23-20, 22:21
I've had a basic crono, Magnetto Speed and nothing now.

Is that to say it shit the bed on you?

Bimmer
04-23-20, 22:22

Or he shot the basic chrono?

Lots of guys murder their chronos... Knock wood, I've only hit the sky-screen supports.

mark5pt56
04-24-20, 05:44

The MS? well-kind of! It was actually a friends:(. I was doing great, had it on, checked with the alignment rod and registering good shots. Apparently the dang strap loosened enough to allow a bullet to skip off the bayonet. I had to buy him a new one of course. They wanted 179, hmmm, strange number isn't it to repair it? That 4000 fps it registered was a screamer!

markm
04-24-20, 14:21
Or he shot the basic chrono?

Lots of guys murder their chronos... Knock wood, I've only hit the sky-screen supports.

I used to be puzzled at shooting the chrono. Then another buddy got in my head and said you need to get the bullet really low to the sensors. I ended up hitting the top of the housing.

enchantor
04-24-20, 18:04
You can buy a whole package of those cheap, wood skewers (to grill with) to use instead of the metal rods. They fit great. And if you break or lose them, it won't matter.

brilliant

ubet
04-25-20, 17:05
I hate my chrony pro. It tried telling me a 77gr hpbt was doing 9000fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bimmer
04-25-20, 18:30
I hate my chrony pro...

Love my ProChrono... I had it out yesterday, and it never missed a shot.

hotrodder636
04-25-20, 20:08
Like my LabRadar. Easy to setup, don’t have to worry about shooting it. Lots of data.

fedupflyer
04-25-20, 21:13
Skip those optical chorons.
They are a pain to get accurate readings.

Next step up would be a Magnetospeed.
Mostly easy setup but you have a small weight hanging off the end of your barrel.

A step up from that would be a LabRadar.
I haven't used one but I hear the setup is easy .
Plus you can shoot for groups and get velocity data at the same time.
Wished they had been out when I bought my Magnetospeed.

lordmorgul
04-26-20, 01:47
I hate my chrony pro. It tried telling me a 77gr hpbt was doing 9000fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep all optical chronographs can give errant readings, seems like low batteries tend to increase it, shadows, clouds, etc. I had our Caldwell tell me a factory target load 9x19mm was going over 1700fps consistently, the entire magazine. Then moved it a little and was reading expected 1050fps.

I’ve replaced the Caldwell with ProChrono Bluetooth and love that feature, it connects and reconnects well to multiple iPhones at the range and doesn’t lose as much readings as the Caldwell did thru the cable / converter to lightning cable.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

lordmorgul
04-26-20, 02:00
I bought the Caldwell Pro Premium Kit. Any Tips for using the advanced features, watch outs etc. Very excited to use with my iPhone, how well does that work?

Any advice appreciated.

PB

I used the Caldwell premium kit with wire to phone for a few years, as commented above have now moved on. Still have the Caldwell but it’s readings got questionable, I haven’t been able to spend the time at the range to work that out and it could just be dirty sensors. It is my brothers, so I just wanted my own anyway, we will still plan to work out issues with the Caldwell.

This system worked better when my phone had an actual headphone jack, and less reliable when moved to lightning only... I have an old phone I started taking to the range to run the chrono!

I would recommend keeping batteries fresh, it’s worth tossing a new one every time even if you disconnected it before... ammo costs a lot more. Bad readings multiple shots in a row can ruin your measurement of a string. If you load a small set of trials, or ladder loads, you lost data you can’t get that trip out to the range.

Always bring a few extra rounds to expect to miss some readings.

Avoid keeping it in the sun too long, best to bring into shade for a little before you try readings you really want to get. Missed readings increased with hot.

The app was reliable and did well at holding data sets except for the occasional missed reading at that’s usually not the app, the Caldwell readout will stay blank or show err code when that happens so it is the sensors fault.

I usually texted myself the textual data from the app or emailed to save it in case the app crashed later or lost data.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

PatEgan
07-27-20, 01:15
I don't like to necro-post, but am wondering if there have been any newcomers or improved versions of established models added to the market since this thread lapsed. Any revised/new input? I'm in the market for a fairly basic version.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Bimmer
07-27-20, 09:25
No news, except the LabRadar that's been out for several years...

For my money, the ProChrono with BlueTooth is ideal...

mcnabb100
08-03-20, 06:49
Yup, midway had the Bluetooth version on sale for a few bucks more than the plain version a few weeks ago. I jumped on it, couldn't be happier.