PDA

View Full Version : Failure to feed?

PatrioticDisorder
11-17-13, 10:08
Ok so I took my middy I bought over the summer out for the second time with it's brother a carbine length (bought around the same time). First time out I shot 4 mags through each, I had a handful of FTF's on the middy and my carbine ran flawless. Second time out same thing happened until I swapped BCG/bolts then both rifles seemed to run fine. It seemed the extractor was not grabbing the rim of the casing and it was about 1/4 from loading. One of the FTFs actually chambered the round but I got a click and when I pulled the charging handle the round stayed in the chamber (gravity easily got it out).

The above rifles are DDM4s a V1 and V5, both we're cleaned and lubed before each shooting and when the bolts were taken apart the extractor and springs appeared to be intact free from any defects. Ammo used was federal XM193 & Independence XM913 (happened with both brands), mags were gen3 pmags 30 rounds, 1 10 round pmag and one DH Aluminum mag with magpul follower (all new mags). So does anyone have any theories on what was causing the malfunctions on the middy and why swapping BCG/bolt seemed to solve the problem? I plan to shoot another 200-300 rounds total through them next weekend to confirm the problem really is fixed (or at least hidden).

_Stormin_
11-17-13, 11:14
-----------
Old eyes read the problem wrong. My bad.
-----------

aguila327
11-17-13, 11:24
Why would the extractor spring have anything to do with a failure to feed?

As far as switching to bolts, I'm no AR wiz but I've seen that course of action solve issues in the past.

I would check the gas rings on the bolt which was giving you problems in the middy. Also rule out the magazines as an issue (I'm sure you have but it wasn't clear).

Finally wait for some real pros to chime in with a more experienced opinion. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

_Stormin_
11-17-13, 11:31
Why would the extractor spring have anything to do with a failure to feed?
\

Old eyes and a small phone screen. I saw "FTE" instead of "FTF"

Given the FTF, the gas rings might be an issue.

Split66
11-17-13, 11:57
Check the gas key too. :)

JS-Maine
11-17-13, 12:57
It seemed the extractor was not grabbing the rim of the casing and it was about 1/4 from loading.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by this description. Maybe I'm missing something. When you have a failure to feed, do you mean your bolt does not come rearward enough to strip a new round from the magazine? If that is the case then it sounds like possibly a gas leak. If the rifle was factory built & I was in your shoes I would get things back to their original places and ask DD to check over it.

PatrioticDisorder
11-17-13, 14:18
Check the gas key too. :)

The bolt did move a little more in the BCG with the one that was giving me some fits but it didn't seem overly loose, it was able to stand on the bolt while connected to the BCG pretty firm and the gas rings appeared to be ok.

What should I look for with the gas key? They appear properly staked on par with my other DDM4 and Colt 6920.

PatrioticDisorder
11-17-13, 14:26
I'm not sure exactly what you meant by this description. Maybe I'm missing something. When you have a failure to feed, do you mean your bolt does not come rearward enough to strip a new round from the magazine? If that is the case then it sounds like possibly a gas leak. If the rifle was factory built & I was in your shoes I would get things back to their original places and ask DD to check over it.

The bolt comes rearward enough for to pull a round from the magazine albeit doesn't seem to cycle as violently as the V1 noticed by watching it cycle as my friend fired both. When the bolt pulls a round from the mag the cartridge does not seat onto the face of the bullet (hence the extractor not grabbing the rim).

Iraqgunz
11-17-13, 15:32
Contact DD and address the issue. Its not normal.