PDA

View Full Version : Fed/State/County/City LEO's who carry AR's for duty purposes

RWH24
11-17-13, 20:40
What ammo issued/offered and what AR or Platform used? AR, Mini 14 or other?

What course of fire, at what distances do you shoot for rifle quals? Number of rounds in course of fire?

State requirements and/or Agency requirements?

I know what Texas, TCLEOSE, standards are, does your agency add any other requirements above and beyond?

Thanks again folks.:thank_you2:

Our issued is Armalite M15A2 Rifle Blk furniture. Has the fixed carry handle, 20" barrel, A2 stock and frt sight.

AE223 55gr FMJBT for practice/qual and Speer 55gr BTHP for duty carry. Both shot POA/POI.
Carried 3/30 round mags loaded in vehicle.

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&ti=37&ch=217&rl=21

Qual Course of Fire, 20 rounds, 100yds, B-27 target with a score of 70 or better. One time a year.
That was almost 6 years ago when I retired. Unknown what is current requirements are.

PaLEOjd
11-17-13, 21:40
We are issued Colt M16A2 marked lowers, safe-semi-burst with 14.5" Colt uppers, H2 buffer and 4 position stock. We have the option of our own optic but we are issued Aimpoints. The other optics approved are EoTech and Trijicon.
The longest distance for qualifications is 50yds. We also do night fire with only the red and blues flashing.
Ammunition varries.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vendetta
11-17-13, 22:17
I'm in Texas, so that link covers the basics of the patrol rifle qual. It's basically 50 rounds that starts with 5 at the 100 prone, 5 at 50 kneeling, different barricade positions at 25, then some turns and head shots closer in. The department issues Rock Rivers with a SureFire fore end to basic patrol guys, and allow the option for personally owned RRA or Colt. Those that fall under the SWAT or narcotics get issued different rifles. Duty ammo is Winchester Ranger, 55 grain ballistic tip.

NWcityguy2
11-17-13, 23:36
Texas here as well. 50 rounds, 50 yards max range with shots standing, kneeling, crouching and prone. Our closest shot is about 3-5 yards while walking.

The standard issue here is the Bushmaster XM-15 though I've seen a couple odd ball RRA's as well. Policy allows us to buy and carry any US made AR with a barrel between 16-20 inches. I haven't seen anyone on patrol buy a rifle for themselves because anything other than that basic M4 profile isn't going to fit in the gun rack.

We use 223 pressure Winchester 64gr SP ammo.

11-18-13, 03:16
I'm with a very large dept.

AR (no specific brand, 16" or longer barrel) or Mini 14. Allowed optics are Aimpoint and EOTech with no magnification. You provide your own weapon and accessories. You provide your own duty ammo as well. Ammo allowed is 223 55g SP (no specific brand).
There are annual qualifications. In order to be allowed to carry the rifle you must enroll and take the 40 hr dept carbine course. At the end you run through the qual course twice. Once with BUIS only and again with the optic only.

Max distance is 100 yards on a B27 target.

100 yards: 5 rounds prone
50 yards: 10 rounds kneeling, mandatory reload, 10 more rounds in shooting position of choice.
25 yards: 5 rounds position of choice.

TCB
11-18-13, 06:23
Large Fed Agency, We are issued GI Colt M-4's with Federal 62 Gr. Ammo. Most pool rifles have irons but assigned guns may also have an EoTec or an Acog (no personally owned optics even though there is an approved list) Our qual (45-50ish rounds) is quarterly and shot from 100 (50 on our range and scored with a reduced target) on in to 7. From the 15 and 7 full auto is optional (and depending on the RO manditory). We are allowed to add a light, sling and forgrip (one guy I know runs a DBAL) of our choice but cannot make any other "perminant" modifications.

BIGUGLY
11-18-13, 10:13
Dept has around 120 officers. Smith and Wesson M&P 15T. Eotech XPS, Gold dot 62 grain bonded rounds. 100yard qual various shooting positions 30 rounds. 50 yard qual 20 rounds various distances with moving while shooting. pretty much the state standard. The dept I work for if your lucky your instructor will put more drills into the session. luckily my Sgt is the head guy so he lets us try more drills than others. Not allowed to add accessories besides a sling at this point but working on getting lights.

Memnok
11-18-13, 11:44
I work at a university in California. We have Rock River Arms with a 14 inch barrel, and Eotech sights. Our qualifications are similar to those above, out to 50 yards. I would love to extend that distance out, but our range is not long enough. We practice with what we carry on duty, Hornady 62 grain TAP.

TacMedic556
11-18-13, 22:04
What ammo issued/offered and what AR or Platform used? AR, Mini 14 or other? Hornady 75 grain TAP. Most of the team has Colt 6933s in varying configs. Mine is a MK18 10.3" DD.

What course of fire, at what distances do you shoot for rifle quals? Number of rounds in course of fire? Now we run the MEU(SOC) http://dvctargets.com/useful/meusoc_cof.pdf qual with a mandatory 90% passing score (same qual as EAG / Pat Rogers runs. You can look it up online. If failure to pass at the 90% you get one make up shoot. 2nd failure results in removal from team until a 3rd and final make up can be attempted and completed at a later date (No one has ever had to do this). For past 6 years we ran the LAPD SWAT qual (out to 50 meters).

State requirements and/or Agency requirements? Agency.

dwhitehorne
11-19-13, 17:00
Federal Agency. Patrol rifles are LWRC M6A1S with Eotechs. SWAT has a mix of Colt M4's and Commandos with 1.5 or 3.5 Acogs. Our duty ammo is Winchester Q3313. Training ammo is Q3315 or Federal NT223 frangible. The courses of fire vary between 40 to 60 rounds depending on what I pick usually at 50 yards. We have one 200 yard qual course but rarely get that range. Rifle training is mandated every quarter. David

walkin' trails
11-19-13, 18:32
Fed agency

Two different brands of ARs issued/authorized with EOTecs/Aimpoints

Federal 62gr. Bonded soft point duty ammo

Two qual courses required - one pure marksmanship and one pure CQC.

madisonsfinest
11-19-13, 18:39
Colt 6920's... Aimpoint, Eotech, Vortex.... Duty ammo is 75gr Hornady Tap
Rifle qual I believe is once a year. 5yards to a 100 I believe. Don't recall the round count

HCM
11-19-13, 19:58
Large Fed Agency, We are issued Colt M-4's (14.5” barrel w/ 3 round burst). Newer guns are off the DOD contract and have KAC 7” rails. Older guns have standard M-4 hand guards or Surefire M73 rails. No personally owned long guns permitted, which is a problem because our supply of M-4s is limited. Optics are Eotech 552, light is insight M3X . Slings were just updated to the VTAC padded from a 3 point. Personal optics and accessories are not permitted. Magazines are GI Aluminum or recently approved Pmags.

We issue Federal 62 Gr. Bonded soft point or CCI 64 grain Gold Dot ammo. Our qualification is quarterly and shot from 100 (or 50 scored with a reduced target) on in to 7.
Start standing with 30 round mag loaded and another 20 round mag on your person
100 yards – 5 kneeling 5 prone in 60 seconds
50 yards – 5 standing, 5 kneeling, 5 prone in 40 seconds
25 yards- 5 standing, emergency reload, 5 kneeling in 15 seconds
7 yards – 2 rounds in 2 seconds semi x 3
7 yards – remaining 9 rounds burst fire in 6 seconds

watercop08
11-20-13, 10:56
Indiana Local PD of 260 officers. Dpt. issues M16's and M16a1's to Officers who are selected to attend rifle school. As far as I know only 50 or so rifles are actually on the street. No optics of any kind are approved and the fire control's are switched to semi when they arrive on station. I am told the dept. gets them free some some program but I am unsure specifically which one. Personally owned rifles are permitted in our firearms policy but current higher ups will not approve any at this time. Rifles are issued with surefire 6p's clamped to the barrel and 3 30rd brownells mags.

Training ammo varies depending on availability and Duty is Federal Fusion 55gr SP.

Qual course also varies between MEU(SOC) and another that I cannot remember. Longest we shoot is 100 yards but most commonly at 50.

RWH24
11-20-13, 23:28
watercop, The M16's are probably Govt surplus passed on to be used by LE Agencies for arming the troops. 10 years ago our agency and several local PD's were offered M14's. Full function M14's. Our agency declined but one PD took enough to supply each SWAT member with one. They came through the State of Texas I thing from the Feds. Texas Rangers ended up with some too. Our Ranger at the time did.

jfk
11-21-13, 16:28
Northern California Municipal Agency, patrol carries 20" Colt M16a1 converted back to semi. SWAT issued Colt Commandos, M4s, and snipers have Larue .308 OBR, and Remi 700s. Course of fire for Patrol Qualification is timed 20 rounds from the 50 yard line. 5 prone, 5 sitting, 5 kneeling, and 5 standing. Mag change at the 25 yard line with 5 kneeling and 5 standing. Nothing spectacular. The Patrol M16s are issued 55 grain Speer Blind Barrier rounds. The former Patrol round was the Hornady 55 grain ballistic tip. The Hornady worked well on soft objects (people) but not as well going through barriers first. I was present when a guy came out of a house with a gun and swung it around towards an arrest team. He was shot once with the Hornady, head shot. He was down, DRT.

C-grunt
11-21-13, 18:37
Phoenix PD. 3000ish officers. Colt 6920s with irons issued and a list of approved optics. Mostly see Aimpoint and EOTech with a few 1-4s around. Duty ammo is Federal Tactical 55 grn HP.

Qual is 40 rounds from 50 yards down to 10 yards. Includes failure drills, reloads and positional. We qual every three months.