PDA

View Full Version : NH man accused of stealing military weaponry

epete
05-07-08, 16:01
I'm not sure why it took why it took 3 years to investigate this. I'm also not sure if I'm comfortable with the ability to ship grenades though the mail.

http://www.wmur.com/news/16169960/detail.html

98z28
05-07-08, 20:13
CONCORD, N.H. -- A New Hampshire man who served in Iraq with the Vermont National Guard admitted in U.S. Federal Court Monday to stealing weapons from the Army.

Joseph Downing walked into the Manchester Firing Line in March 2005 and tried to sell two grenades, a couple of red dot sighting systems for the M-16 and 120 rounds of ammunition.

The owner of the federally licensed shooting range immediately contacted the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives who launched a lengthy investigation.

U.S. attorneys say Downing mailed the military weaponry to his home from Iraq.

Downing will be sentenced in August. He could face 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.

Not the brightest knife in the drawer, huh?

WS6
05-08-08, 00:04
Wow...

chadbag
05-08-08, 01:06
Joseph Downing walked into the Manchester Firing Line in March 2005 and tried to sell two grenades, a couple of red dot sighting systems for the M-16 and 120 rounds of ammunition.

I know the Manchester Firing Line. The guy that owns it is a straight up guy and is the guy who arrange for all the SWD M11s about 9 years ago...

He once invited me to his club (Londonderry Fish and Game) to the monthly full auto shoot and I shot a 50rd belt from an old M60. Had op-rod wear or something and when you let go of the trigger it would continue to fire a few seconds at about 60-100 r/m. Kind of weird.

Anyway, the guy [owner of range] is a good guy.

This suspect however has more than a few bolts loose.

Chad

Nathan_Bell
05-08-08, 09:18
I'm not sure why it took why it took 3 years to investigate this. I'm also not sure if I'm comfortable with the ability to ship grenades though the mail.

http://www.wmur.com/news/16169960/detail.html

I would guess that the reason it took so long is that they were trying to do the standard Fed LE approach of seeing if they could 'roll up' to any bigger fish.
Also, it has been my experience, Feds do not like to indict and take action unless they can have about 20+ charges to throw at someone. AUSA's want to have a big stack of charges.

DM-SC
05-08-08, 10:57
I would guess that the reason it took so long is that they were trying to do the standard Fed LE approach of seeing if they could 'roll up' to any bigger fish.
Also, it has been my experience, Feds do not like to indict and take action unless they can have about 20+ charges to throw at someone. AUSA's want to have a big stack of charges.

In the video that's with the story...the reporter states that the Feds said they were investigating other leads than did not "bear fruit".