PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of a TA33

jerhelo
11-18-13, 01:05
Want a TA33, talk me out of it. Are they any real negative cons to the optic. I have a couple of TA31's and TA11's. Want a TA33 for a colt upper with front sight block. YEAH or NEAH???

Koshinn
11-18-13, 01:32
It's the best ACOG imo. If it was AA powered instead of fiber/tritium, I think it'd be a lot better.

A vortex 1-4 has more utility and is cheaper, but is heavier, larger, and doesn't have daylight visible illumination.

IndianaBoy
11-18-13, 13:10
I had a TA33. It was a great optic. I switched to a Vortex Razor 1-6 to gain magnification, 1x, a finer reticle.

I miss the light weight of the TA33. It's a fantastic all-around optic but it does have some limitations. I think for comparable cost I would rather have a 1-4x vortex now that I have some experience with a quality variable.

Doc Safari
11-18-13, 14:27
I don't have personal experience with that particular model number, but I've used ACOG's before and I just HATE THEM. The two or three I've actually had to sight through at the range required you to have your nose to the charging handle on the rifle in order to get rid of the parallax. Somebody at Trijicon needs to increase the eye relief on their optics YESTERDAY. One was a TA31 and the other was the 'miniature' ACOG (can't remember the model right now).

I also noticed that they require you to mount them pretty far back on the gun's rail, negating all but a small universe of folding backup rear sights that will mount in the last slot with the ACOG in place. In fact, I can't remember if I would have had to remove the ACOG to use the BUIS or not--it's been that long.

I actually got rid of my miniature ACOG to buy my first Aimpoint T1 and haven't looked back.

nimdabew
11-18-13, 14:42
The TA33 doesn't have most of the problems that Doc describes. It sounds like he was using a TA31 (had ond, sold it).

I shot through a TA33 once. I didn't like the field of view on it and thought it was like shooting through a toilet paper tube at 3x. I have switched back to Aimpoints and EOTechs FWIW.

Belloc
11-19-13, 02:57
The eye relief of the TA33 is very generous.
You might find this comparison informative: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=654467

ptmccain
11-19-13, 06:08
If you do not mind a fixed magnification, ACOGs are terrific. But, that's a VERY big "if"

hk_shootr
11-19-13, 06:31
Love the TA33.......I do alternate between this and a T1.

halmbarte
11-19-13, 07:54
Just had to decide this myself. I went with the TA11 for the eye relief and FOV over the TA33. The TA11 ain't as small or as light as the TA33 though.

Like everything else in life, it's a compromise.

H

jerhelo
11-19-13, 09:02
I have a couple of TA11's and like them just not the size, very large optic. I was thinking the TA33 would be a nice alternative. I ordered one from Grant yesterday. We will see.

Failure2Stop
11-19-13, 09:42
If you need a small, light optic with low magnification, it's the best option.
However, for the $$, there are options that afford much greater range of application if you are willing to accept an increase in size and weight.
They have their place, but not for me.

mack7.62
11-20-13, 08:05
IMO it has it's place as a more modern version of the British SUIT, kind of an upgrade to iron sights for aging eyes. What I like about it is simple, rugged, usable with both eyes open, good eye relief and no batteries. Price is not so bad compared to an Aimpoint with magnifier and decent mounts and 1x4's are bigger, heavier and I am not sure about ttheir red dots. I am waiting for Aimpoint to team up with Nightforce or Leupold or somebody to come out my dream optic a variable with usable illumination and years of battery life.

docsherm
11-20-13, 19:28
TA33 is by far the best ACOG out there. I have 2 and that is the optic I have taken to Afghanistan the last 2 trips. Great all around optic

seb5
11-22-13, 23:24
What Doc said, caveat being best ACOG offered. I'm currently issued a RCO (TA31?) and hate it. I don't know how the Marines use it for just about everything. I suppose they make do.

NongShim
11-25-13, 11:02
I own a TA-31, 33, and whatever the old 3x was. Also, lots of time behind TA-11. ACOGs and Aimpoints are very similar in that they are supremely good at a few things. They are great optics to issue to soldiers and marines. They're simple, easy to use, and more durable than almost anything.

ACOGs are great for rural shooting. They have great glass, super easy to range (men)/easy come-ups. Nothing to twist or bump and inadvertently adjust a setting. They're easy because you don't have to learn any type of mil-ret techniques which take a lot of practice. The reticle of an ACOG merely takes an explanation and in the BAC models is ALWAYS daylight bright. What they suck for is individual shooters who have individual preferences. TA-33s are quite forgiving, but there is nothing to adjust. If the scope doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. It is a one-trick pony when it comes to ranging. Sure, you can crunch the numbers to make a 19MOA line work for other targets, but it's less than ideal. A mil reticle works much better when you're not ranging a man's shoulders. Most importantly, sometimes a shooter (me) wants more or less than 3x magnification.

I don't know why I have 3 of them; I rarely use them. I'd rather have variables for most of my guns.

BTL BRN
11-25-13, 12:05
I can't say that I can talk you out of one, I really like the optic; it is easily my favorite of the ACOGs I have tried - the eye relief factor being a major plus.

The real question may be what color reticle to go with. :p

Caeser25
11-29-13, 21:47
The long relief, huge eyebox and lightweight make up for it's small fov. If you shoot both eyes open all the time, you don't even notice. Think of it more as a T-1 with some magnification.

Bluedreaux
12-08-13, 00:19
I T&Ed a TA33 and really wanted to like it. But the field of view was just too small for me. For single targets or even doubles it would be fine, even really good. But if you have to engage multiple targets or deal with no-shoots mixed into an array of targets it was just too easy to get lost in the scope.

I ended up with a Firedot VX6 1-6 and love it. Huge FOV, as true to a 1x as I've seen, daylight bright illumination and 6x if you want it. But it's a pig of an optic.

Javelin
12-08-13, 00:20
Fish eye.

That should do it.

Javelin
12-08-13, 00:21
Fish eye.

That should do it.

Don Robison
12-08-13, 00:34
I'm generally not a fan of ACOGs, but I like the TA33. It is the only one I've kept. I don't see an appreciable slow down at CQB distances and it's easy to use at distance like was stated above. I generally use and prefer 1-4s from USO or other quality manufacturers.

lifebreath
12-08-13, 00:54
I own a TA-31, 33, and whatever the old 3x was. Also, lots of time behind TA-11. ACOGs and Aimpoints are very similar in that they are supremely good at a few things. They are great optics to issue to soldiers and marines. They're simple, easy to use, and more durable than almost anything.

ACOGs are great for rural shooting. They have great glass, super easy to range (men)/easy come-ups. Nothing to twist or bump and inadvertently adjust a setting. They're easy because you don't have to learn any type of mil-ret techniques which take a lot of practice. The reticle of an ACOG merely takes an explanation and in the BAC models is ALWAYS daylight bright. What they suck for is individual shooters who have individual preferences. TA-33s are quite forgiving, but there is nothing to adjust. If the scope doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. It is a one-trick pony when it comes to ranging. Sure, you can crunch the numbers to make a 19MOA line work for other targets, but it's less than ideal. A mil reticle works much better when you're not ranging a man's shoulders. Most importantly, sometimes a shooter (me) wants more or less than 3x magnification.

I don't know why I have 3 of them; I rarely use them. I'd rather have variables for most of my guns.

Yep this. Hit it on the mark. I too don't know why I have 3 of them, other than they are an elegant cool robust battle optic. I just like looking through them every now and then. Have a t31 t33 and t33.

Arch
12-17-13, 15:39
I bought my first ACOG around 1995 (IIRC). It was TA50 3x24, and had TERRIBLE eye relief. I ended up drilling a hole in my A2 fixed carry handle so it could be mounted far enough back to be functional. However, once mounted it was my favorite optic for a lot of years. I ended up selling the AR with scope mounted, and still think back fondly on that first ACOG.

The ACOG's I've owned have included: TA01, TA01NSN, TA11, TA33, TA44 and TA50. My only complaints about ACOGs: some models have poor eye relief, they have to be a BAC model or you'll lose the "illumination" in bright sunlight, they're fixed power.

I had a TA33 on my Colt 901 for a short period of time. For whatever reason I never warmed up to it. I can't really identify why. I bought the TA33 because of the low price point. It did come from Optics Planet with a visible "artifact" inside. It was only visible if you looked through the scope a certain way. Optics Planet offered to refund my money. Overall, the little guy just didn't do it for me.

The only ACOGs I now own are TA11-H's. They are by far my favorite fixed power optic ever. I have one on my Scar16 and Scar17.

Personally, I'd spend a little more and consider the TA11 unless you're wanting a very compact optic. The TA11 is a BIG scope.

Arch
12-17-13, 15:51
I'm generally not a fan of ACOGs, but I like the TA33. It is the only one I've kept. I don't see an appreciable slow down at CQB distances and it's easy to use at distance like was stated above. I generally use and prefer 1-4s from USO or other quality manufacturers.

I too like 1-4's, and have a TR24G and SN4 (I also have a 1.5-5 Leupold VXIII Illuminated Circle Dot that is actually a very nice little scope, but its on the "to sell" list - just too many optics without host weapons for them). However, I also like the "fixed" eye relief of a fixed power optic. I have a astigmatism - don't know if this impacts the following. I always shoot both eyes open unless I'm using 10x or higher. Whenever I change the power setting on the Accupoint or USO I have to adjust my eye relief. The adjustment is small, but is required.

I wonder how many people actually use settings other than 1 and 4? I never do. I'm either at 1x for short distance or 4x for anything over about 75 yards.

This is what I like about the TA11 - its 3.5x and has generous eye relief. It is not, however, easy to use at very short distances. Inside my house distances are a no-go, but I chose my scopes for their intended purposes. I have a 6920 with a TR24G on it, and my Scars have ACOGs. The Scars get used more around the farm, and the Colt is basically a home defense gun.

Arch
12-17-13, 15:55
Clarification:

I said both eyes open unless I'm using a 10x or higher. I have a Leupold 2-7x on a 10/22 and close my eye when 7x. Basically I only use the lowest and highest settings on variable power scopes. If the highest setting is less than about 6x I can get by with BEO, but over that I have to shut my non-dominate eye (with a severe astigmatism).

Kain
12-17-13, 16:20
Not sure if this has been answered but to the OP, have you shot with this optic before? If not I would offer the suggestion that you try and see if you like it. I have an ACOG, though not the model you are looking at, mine is a TA01NSN, and I do dearly love the optic for what I use it for. Not going to be great for close quarters, but I still like it. Does it have down sides? Yes, it is short eye relief, though I shoot nose to charging handle so not a huge issue for me. I love mine, am happy I bought it. But, again not for everyone. My advice is again see if you can't try one and go from there.

jesuvuah
12-17-13, 17:21
I owned one for a while. Honestly, it is probably the lower power fixed optic I would every own, just because it gives you just enough magnification and is very lightweight. But once you start to increase the weight on some of the other fixed power offerings out there, I would much prefer a variable. I replaced my ta 33 for a vortex pst 1-4. The vortex is heavier, but I think it has a lot more capabilities. I am now planning to sell the vortex 1-4 to fund a 1-6.

SkyPup
12-17-13, 18:06
I love my ACOG TAO2 LEDs on my 556s, super light weight, indestructible, great glass/reticule, and good FOV, not a problem taking out a coyote at night at 275 yards and there is a tiny lethal area on a songdog. For almost anything within the lethal range of a 5.56mm cartridge it is difficult to beat.

The eye relief sux, but not a problem for fast action shots on a 556, on my 7.62mms I use and Elcan instead due to double the eye relief.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/ACOG%20LED.jpg

Oak tree is 175 yards out though FLIR thermal:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/Red%20Reticule%20175%20Yards%20T60.jpg

225 yards, one Barnes 70 grain TSX handload through the neck.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T60/T60%20Coyote/T60%20Coyote%20NV.jpg
http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T60/T60%20Coyote/T60%20Coyote.jpg

SkyPup
12-17-13, 18:10
Here is a short 40MB WMV file of the ACOG TA02 taking out a coyote with one shot at 275 yards at night with a FLIR T-70 thermal weapon scope, many more like this...

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Female%20275%20Yards/T70%20275%20Yard%20Female.wmv

SkyPup
12-18-13, 19:27
http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Coyote2/RAIN%201X.jpg