PDA

View Full Version : Why flip up/fold down offset irons?

ramairthree
11-18-13, 08:18
If you have real bona fides, know why a certain company designed them, or are smoking in mulit-gun comp and can specifically say why flip up vs. fixed offsets are the advantage, I would like to hear it.

I know about offset sights. I first saw them 8 or so years ago on a premier military shooter and instructor on his comp gun.
I did not at all like the one piece 6 inch long or so ones I saw years ago. I have been liking the real sight, DD type with both short and long range utility.

The whole advantage, time wise, is a quick tilt to irons, no flipping up, nothing in your sight picture when not in use, etc.

Practically, in real world use, like a Redi-Mag, I wax and wane over the pros, cons, extra width, snagging, etc.

My whole question is on the flip up version. When folded down, the still stick out the side of the gun. There is nothing to fold them down out of the way of. (Unless you have a scope on top and offset RDS AND offset irons co-witnessed) Not having to flip up your sights is the whole speed benefit of offsets.

I have asked four guys at multi-gun whey they went with flip up vs. fixed, and there was not a practical use answer.

Why are there flip up offset irons and what is their advantage over fixed offsets?

{edit- specifically
I mean the ones that stick off to the side and fold down/flip up but still stick off to the side. I am not talking about the ones that are in line with the rail and snag free but flip out 45 degrees when you deploy them so they fit under a scope, magnifier, etc. but can be opened when the need for back ups arises without having to take off an optic)

SteveL
11-18-13, 16:44
I asked this question a while back. Apparently the advanced search feature isn't working right now or I'd be able to refer you to the appropriate thread. Anyway, the prevailing answer was that offset sights that don't fold down would present a significant snag hazard. IIRC it was Failure2Stop who had the most useful input.

ETA: Here's the thread I was referring to:

Offset BUIS or Offset Red Dot (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?136317-Offset-BUIS-or-Offset-Red-Dot)

ramairthree
11-18-13, 17:40
Thank you for the link, I appreciate it.
I overlooked it back when the sight was searchable as another "should I get a mini RDS or irons, etc." thread.
It does provide the intended purpose for them, but I just never bought they eliminated the snag issue and did not consider that the purpose.

For a while I thought maybe guys were just using offset mini mounts and putting regular flip ups on them.

Then I realized there was at least one company making flip up offsets. I agree fixed offsets are a snag issue. I have two rifles with DD ones but they are range toy/fame guns so it does not really matter. I am not sold that flip down offsets are a significantly less snag issue.
Maybe they are a partial solution. I guess I am too picky that they still stick out some.

There is a company that makes a set that truly fold out of the way as snag free as top rail mounted, and can serve as flip out back ups that non offset sight could not. I would really like to get my hands on them to see how good they are before buying a set.

SteveL
11-18-13, 18:30
You're welcome.

I've never really given it much thought besides my comments in the thread I linked. I have zero hands-on with them, so anything I could say on the subject is purely speculative. Having said that, the flip downs that KAC offer certainly look like they'd be pretty low-profile when folded down.

RHINOWSO
12-01-13, 14:42
I have a set of offset KACs which I've used on my SCAR and are now on my Noveske.

It's my habit pattern to flip them up if going out in the woods to hunt, at the range, etc.

In the event that I forget or they are bumped down, it's not hard to flip them back up. While not as fast as a fixed set of offsets, it's fast that dumping the primary optic and flipping up traditional BUIS, or attempting to clean off mud / fogging (which can happen often in FL during the summer when going from a cool house / car to the humid outdoors - you can even wipe it off and it'll come right back until the scope temp warms up).

I guess if it was just for gun games, I see the fixed reasoning. But aside from that (games), I prefer the ability to stow them as they are very low profile when stowed.

El Cid
12-01-13, 15:54
I tend to agree with the consensus above. I think having them up/fixed is more of a concern when the shooter doesn't have glass that drops to 1x. I also see the immediate need of having irons always ready as more for games than operational use. If I raise my duty rifle and don't see the dot... I will either duck back behind cover to troubleshoot it and/or flip up irons, or take the shot using the tube as a general aiming tool if the threat requires it. Most optics (assumes buying quality kit) are reliable enough that backup irons are almost never used these days. Can any piece of electronics fail? Of course. Is it common enough that I want/need irons set for a "RIGHT NOW!!" shot? Not in my opinion. Not in my world. YMMV.

Glin1216
12-03-13, 11:25
I use the KAC Flip-Up offset BUIS to allow clearance for my aiming laser (Laser Devices CQBL) mounted at the twelve. They are a backup set, so I keep them folded down most of the time.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SXgsJt3o-XE/UldT_cyOU5I/AAAAAAAAAdE/F_QeOobfGQo/s1600/89.jpg

TehLlama
12-03-13, 12:48
For me, it's storage simplicity - they lay flat in the case I already have for that rifle. As soon as a sling/magazine are attached, sights go up. Since they live under an optic with 1x capability, it's no loss to me that they might be folded most of the time, and when turning the zoom up I can check the status of those sights to use as roll-over reflex sights.