PDA

View Full Version : FNG 9mm Sizing Question

Esco
11-18-13, 11:20
I've got a Hornady New Dimension sizing die and I set it up the way the instructions state. Having never reloaded metallic cartridges before I have no idea how much force is normal to size 9mm brass. I feel like it is taking quite a bit of force to get the casing into the die and just as much if not more to get it out. All of the videos I've watched online make the operation look smooth and unencumbered. Mine is definitely not smooth.

I am using a Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive press with clean, unlubed cases. I have not tried lubricating the cases yet as I thought it was unnecessary with the titanium nitride sizing ring.

I have no way to measure how much force is being used but I have to put a lot of effort into sizing and releasing the case. In your experience how much effort is required? Thanks!

CHX77
11-19-13, 21:37
Generally, straight wall handgun cases don't need lube in a carbide sizing die. 9mm seems to be an exception. Perhaps the amount of taper on 9mm cases makes more surface contact as the case enters the die. Anyway, lube your cases and it should be a lot easier.

NWcityguy2
11-20-13, 01:02
9mm takes a lot of force to resize compared to a true straight walled case. That said, you aren't going to rip the case head off if you don't us lube.

So if you want to use case lube it will reduce the force required but if you don't you are going to be fine as well.

mic2377
11-20-13, 08:25
I have resized several thousand 9 mm cases without lube. I can't really say it took the high level of effort you are describing, but it wasn't effortless either. One thing I did try was lubing every 5-6th case with wax lube. It smooths it out considerably but I did not feel it was worth the extra effort. Of note I have never gotten a case stuck or ripped the head off.

11-20-13, 08:42
I use Hornady One Shot for my case lube in all my reloading. A dry film lubricant that very little residue, might even help with feeding in autos.

markm
11-20-13, 12:07
Agree with some of the replies. When I switched to a NON-carbide 9mm resizing die, I had to start case lubing. I don't load 9mm anymore because I don't have time and don't shoot much of it, but yeah... a standard die will require a lot of force to size.

And ONE-SHOT is a terrible case lube. DCL all the way....

Esco
11-20-13, 12:26
Sounds like it might just be the force required to size 9mm as I haven't ripped any case heads yet. I have nothing to compare to. I picked up some case lube to try. Thanks for the replies!

Airhasz
11-20-13, 12:35
And ONE-SHOT is a terrible case lube. DCL all the way....

How is one shot...terrible? I use it, spray on, run through die and tumble clean. Never had a stuck case using one shot case lube.

mkmckinley
11-20-13, 12:48
What's wrong with One Shot?

FWIW the way I do pistol cases is to spray some lube in a big ziplock bag then put some cartidges in there and shake them around. When I'm done I run the loaded cartridges through some corn husk to get rid of any residue. It doesn't take much time and makes the whole process smoother.

Stumpnav
11-20-13, 20:30
From my days shooting USPSA I would always shoot a light coat off One Shot on pistol cases even when using a carbide die. Just makes the press run smoother, especially a progressive. Usuallynanbunch of cases in a plastic WalMart bag, a couple of squirts of One Shot and give the bag a good shake. I would just run them through the 550 and not even bother to get the lube off.

markm
11-22-13, 08:30
One shot is the single worst product ever doo doo'd onto the heads of reloaders. The pump bottle is the hands down winner of all stuck case awards in the universe. And that crap, in addition to sucking balls as a lube, is much harder to tumble off than good lube.

In fairness, I've NOT tried the aerosol, and have read fewer complaints on that stuff.

SilverTongueDevil
11-24-13, 23:49
IMO the manufacture of the brass and the length has a lot to do with the force required to to size 9mm brass...
Winchester most surplus, any nickle plated and Star line brass require more force to size
Length and flaring depth has a lot to do with required effort.

There is no need to use lube with your dies.
I would check your flaring depth, I do not flare my brass much and have no seating issues.

also IMO those new to reloading 9mm should be very aware that its one of the easiest to over pressure due to many factors but mostly seating depth of the bullets.