PDA

View Full Version : Millet DMS Clarity at low power

marty
05-07-08, 18:50
I know there are a number of Millet threads underway, but I think my question is not covered in the other threads.

I looked through a Millet DMS today. It was crystal clear and sharply focused between 2.5x and 4x. But on any setting between 1x and 2.5x my eyes could not focus on the objects I was viewing, no matter how far or how close the objects were; and no matter if I had both eyes open or just my dominant eye open. It was late afternoon, bright outside, overcast skies. The rectile itself appeared sharp and visible at all settings - so the recticle was not an issue.

Has anyone else seen this?

Marty

Shihan
05-08-08, 00:50
Did you play with the eye relief?

marty
05-08-08, 07:04
Scope was not mounted on a rifle, but yep, played with eye relief, moved scope around - closer / further from my eyes, ... etc. nothing helped.

Failure2Stop
05-08-08, 08:34
I thought the same thing when I first picked mine up. Then I noticed that the focus ring was all the way in. I backed it out until the dot on the inside of the focus piecs aligned with the line on the top of the tube.

In short, in order to properly focus, the focus ring needs adjustment.

Sidewinder6
05-08-08, 10:02
I have a DMS and did not notice that kind of problem. It might be the optics are hosed. Normally, if you are zoomed in at 4x and have a clear sight picture and back away, everything should remain in clear focus.

You didnt mention whether you had your red dot on or were running on the black reticle (?). I have a habit of only using the red dot at the minimum to acquire my target. Some dots bloom at higher intensity. Just a question, in case you can find a work around.

marty
05-08-08, 12:01
I noticed the issue I mentioned with the dot on (regardless of brightness of the dot) as well as with the dot off

Sidewinder6
05-08-08, 12:14
I noticed the issue I mentioned with the dot on (regardless of brightness of the dot) as well as with the dot off

Hmm. I have been putting off some scope work on my DMS so I will take a fresh look on mine later today/evening and post additional. My initial thought is: Not good if your having this happen. Standby.

Shihan
05-09-08, 03:40

He was talking about the focus ring on the eye piece.

MX5
05-09-08, 05:47
Adjust the ring at the eyepiece until it's clear. Everybody's eyes are different & will change throughout their lifetime. That's why the ring is there.

Sidewinder6
05-09-08, 11:19
I took at look at my DMS last night and I do not see this issue on the scope I have. If I zoom in or out my focus remains sharp regardless of whether I use the illumination or do not.

If you have zoomed in to 4x and adjusted your focus using the eye ring to a crisp picture, then back out and loose focus, that scope probably needs to be serviced or replaced.

Let us know what has happened when you get a chance.

Good luck

marty
05-09-08, 17:44
Note: I do not own the scope - I was doing a thorough checkout of it at the gun shop when I noticed this, prior to making a purchase. I'll try to get back there tonight before closing and do another inspection / test.

marty
05-09-08, 22:51
Well, I went back and checked out the scope that I thought had a clarity problem at low power settings. Turns out that the focus ring had to really really be muscled to get it to turn past where we had it to make additional adjustment - so once we applied more force than I tought was necessary we got it to move and the clarity issues went away. Nice and clear at all power level setttings.

Thanks for all the input.

Sidewinder6
05-10-08, 18:58
Ah. Makes sense. It is a nice scope. I have been happy with mind. Its a decent value since I have no immediate plan of anything other than range and training use. \\Good luck.