PDA

View Full Version : Larry Vickers 2009 Tactical Pistol Class

CMANZELLA
05-07-08, 19:25
Hello,

I am a new member of this forum. I am hosting a pistol class next year. The instructor is Larry Vickers.

Here are the details:

Vickers Tactical Pistol I - Introductory Level
Class Date: July 18-19, 2009
Location: DSM Training Range, Albion, NY (just outside Rochester, NY)
Cost: $460.00 per student
Course Description: This class is for shooters who have had at least a basic pistol class either from Vickers Tactical or any other accredited instructor. State concealed carry certification classes specifically do not qualify. Topics covered include basic pistol topics and the following: malfunction drills, shooting on the move as well as strong hand and weak hand shooting. Introduction to timed fire drills and evaluations based on class skill level. Concealed carry methods are also covered. Night-fire will depend on time of year and range restrictions.

Instructor: Larry Vickers

email: cmanzella@rochester.rr.com

Class size: Ten minimum, sixteen maximum

Prerequisites:
At least a basic pistol class either from Vickers Tactical or any other accredited instructor.
Class requirements:
• Eye and Ear Protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)
• Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
• Serviceable holster
• Minimum 1 double magazine pouch
• Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)
• Suitable range wear depending on the season
• Good attitude
• Ammo requirement is 1000 rounds.

Larry Vickers
06-08-08, 07:49
Anyone in the NY area may want to jump on this as getting into that state to do training is a royal pain in the ass - Chuck was persistant and we are going to give it a go next year - cross your fingers

Cheers

LAV

Stretz Tactical Inc
06-08-08, 09:45
Count me in. I made a pilgrimage to NC from NY to train with Larry back in January. It was worth the 10 hour drive and cost of fuel. My shooting scores at work went from low to mid 90's to 100 on every course of fire. It's nice to see Your making it up this way LAV. Hopefully you can do it a little more often.

CMANZELLA
06-09-08, 19:45
Thanks Larry.

Just to let anyone know who is interested, the class is about 1/3 full. Please let me know if you want a spot.

KCS, if you would like a spot, please email me at cmanzella@rochester.rr.com. Send me your phone number and address too. Thanks for your interest and the feedback.

Chuck

Stretz Tactical Inc
06-09-08, 22:00
Chuck, email sent

petey1
06-10-08, 16:24
e-mail sent

Larry Vickers
06-10-08, 21:41
Glad to see there is alot of interest in a class in that area - looking forward to it

be safe

LAV

petey1
06-10-08, 21:47
Glad to see there is alot of interest in a class in that area - looking forward to it

be safe

LAV

I can't wait. I was very excited to hear you're heading our way. Thanks for putting up with the New York BS and holding a class.

chrisfry
06-13-08, 08:43
Email Sent. I hope this works out!

Stretz Tactical Inc
06-18-08, 08:44
Concern was expressed about traveling to NY with an out of state permit. I am a Police Officer here in New York state.

Section 265.20 subdivision 13-a, of the NYS Penal law, without typing the lengthy verbatum wording, provides an exemption for out of state pistol licensees' traveling to and from training such as Larry's (and in another subsection, to/from matches), provided the training (or match) is conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, the NRA. you must travel to or from within 48 hours of the event, not be previously convicted of a felony and transport the pistol or revolver, unloaded in a locked opaque container "together with a copy of the convention or exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or convention or exhibition registration card."

In the earlier part of this section, it says the convention or exhibition is for "display or education about firearms. "

So, if Larry's training is approved by the NRA, which I am sure that Larry could get them to approve it and you printed from his website, the course dates and syllabus, I would say your covered.

If in doubt, write a letter to the Pistol Permit Unit, New York State Police, Building 22, 1220 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12226-2252 and refer the question to NYS Penal law section 265.20 sub 13(a) or check with your lawyer.

I recomend writing to the State Police as above and bring a copy of your letter to them, their response to you, along with your permit, the course dates and syllabus printed from LAV's site and the weapon carried in the above described manner, to avoid any problems you might encounter to and from the course.

Believe me, LAV's training is WELL worth it! I heard it described on several occassions as "taking a drink from a fire hose". lYet, you'll be thirsty for more.

CMANZELLA
06-18-08, 19:35
KCS,

Thanks for the info. I had never heard that there was a way around an out of state person bringing a handgun into NY.

Do you happen to know if there is still any issue if the out of state person flies into NY? In other words, does the exemption apply at an airport in NY?

Thanks

Stretz Tactical Inc
06-18-08, 20:11
KCS,

Thanks for the info. I had never heard that there was a way around an out of state person bringing a handgun into NY.

Do you happen to know if there is still any issue if the out of state person flies into NY? In other words, does the exemption apply at an airport in NY?

Thanks

There is nothing in the State penal law about airports that I have seen. Most likely, if there is something, it is a federal thing. I'll have to check the trident concepts forum, I think they had something on that a while back. It wasn't NY specific though. Maybe Larry can chime in, I'm sure he is well versed in this area.

Stretz Tactical Inc
06-18-08, 20:23
Here is the info from the TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Traveling with Special Items
Firearms & Ammunition

You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked.
We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can’t contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
You can’t use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
You can’t bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements

Here is a link to a discussion on 10-8:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=43215&page=6&fpart=1&vc=1

Ed L.
06-18-08, 23:47
I spoke to a friend who lives in NYC who is retired from the NYPD. I think I convinced him to take the course.

Larry Vickers
06-20-08, 21:35
My guess is - and Chuck chime in here please - we will have enough NY residents to fill the class so that people flying in with pistols may not be a factor - I have had several requests for training in that part of the country so I would expect this will fill with no problem

If I am out in left field please someone correct me

Cheers

LAV

Stretz Tactical Inc
06-22-08, 20:41
Chuck,
I emailed you with my friends contact info, he is also interested in taking the class.

CMANZELLA
07-21-08, 20:17
I have only two spots left. If anyone is interested please let me know

chris1280
07-27-08, 23:19
CMANZELLA PM inbound

Robb Jensen
10-15-08, 21:24
I may take this next year in NY. I'm covered by an FFL and possibly next year very likely a Title II manufacturer........I will keep an eye on this one. :D

CMANZELLA
10-19-08, 13:15
Sounds good.

Stretz Tactical Inc
12-19-08, 00:56
Is there going to be a night shoot?

CMANZELLA
12-21-08, 13:22
Hello KCS,

We will not be doing a night shoot.

Chuck

CMANZELLA
01-10-09, 21:17
If anyone is still interested you might want to reserve a spot now. There are only a few spots left.

CMANZELLA
05-04-09, 19:55
I just had a spot open up if anyone is interested.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
06-15-09, 18:26
I just got word from Chuck that the class is cancelled. Anyone know if there will be any other courses given within the next couple of months? I was really looking forward to taking the course. :confused: