PDA

View Full Version : When did all AK's start being worth $900 or more?

Bolt_Overide
11-18-13, 20:54
Am I missing something?

zzhawk
11-18-13, 21:13
The barrel ban was a start...

Back when kits were first imported, not many people had the ability to build. Now tools, techniques, and receivers are readily available, driving up demand.

Of course the panic of last year also increased demand.

For what its worth, you can find many AK's in the current market for much less than $900.

KingCobra
11-18-13, 21:21
my buddy just picked up an ak for 300$ last weekend. price hasn't gone up here.

Walleye
11-18-13, 22:10
2008? 2012?

But you can get factory AKs for $500 now - $900+ only if you want name brands like Arsenal.

MountainRaven
11-18-13, 22:13
What is this "all"?

Last week I saw an M&M M10 in 7.62 at a LGS for ~$700-800.

Rekkr870
11-18-13, 23:44
I have seen some cheap AK's go for ridiculous prices during the panic. That being said, everything was ridiculous. Personally, I have no issue with paying over $900 for a quality AK. People tend to think because it's a "commie" gun that it should go cheap, I assume.

ScottsBad
11-18-13, 23:56
Just bought a Zastava O-PAP 7.62x39 from Classic City Firearms for $600 shipped a couple days ago. This is a very well made AK. I needed a second AK to keep my Arsenal company.

I'm really not a big AK guy, but they are kind of fun in a sort of raw farm equipment way.

SteyrAUG
11-19-13, 11:13
They days of getting SGL21s and other well made quality AKs with correct barrels for half the cost of an AR went away when all of our hopes were changed.

My only regret is I didn't buy 12 more Bulgarian kits when they were around $200.

Failure2Stop
11-19-13, 12:32
When did all AK's start being worth $900 or more?

When people started being willing to pay that much.

Things are worth exactly as much as people will pay for them.

SPQR476
11-19-13, 12:39
They days of getting SGL21s and other well made quality AKs with correct barrels for half the cost of an AR went away when all of our hopes were changed.

My only regret is I didn't buy 12 more Bulgarian kits when they were around $200.

I hear you. 2 biggest purchasing "fails" for me that I would like a time machine to correct are AK kits and SA .308 surplus. I was too young at the time, or HK DLO boxes and sears would be on there...still want the time machine, just don't consider it a fail since I was 12 in '86.

SPQR476
11-19-13, 12:41
The biggest concern I have with the AK market is that I'm not seeing Russian guns anymore in any kind of quantity. Some Romys and lots of Yugos. I've heard some rumors that are encouraging, though.

KTR03
11-19-13, 13:05
I hear you. 2 biggest purchasing "fails" for me that I would like a time machine to correct are AK kits and SA .308 surplus. I was too young at the time, or HK DLO boxes and sears would be on there...still want the time machine, just don't consider it a fail since I was 12 in '86.

"what do we want - A time machine". "when do we want it - irrevelant". :-)

ScottsBad
11-19-13, 13:23

I don't know if you are referring to the non-chrome lining in the Zastava barrels or what you mean by correct barrels. Personally, worrying about chrome or the diameter or what in an AK is like worrying about the shade of lipstick you put on a pig. Unless you are shooting corrosive, who cares, its an AK.

I personally don't get the whole "correctness" of AK lineage thing. But then I'm not an AK guy. As long as it shoots well and is reliable I could give a Rusky's butt what it is. Collecting AKs that have some sort of lineage is like collecting Yugo Automobiles. I'd just as soon have a Yugo with modern suspension and a 350 Chevy grafted on if it works as well or better.

I bought an SGL21 a while back, whoopee, it shoots like an AK.

BBossman
11-19-13, 14:02
I don't know if you are referring to the non-chrome lining in the Zastava barrels or what you mean by correct barrels. Personally, worrying about chrome or the diameter or what in an AK is like worrying about the shade of lipstick you put on a pig. Unless you are shooting corrosive, who cares, its an AK.

I personally don't get the whole "correctness" of AK lineage thing. But then I'm not an AK guy. As long as it shoots well and is reliable I could give a Rusky's butt what it is. Collecting AKs that have some sort of lineage is like collecting Yugo Automobiles. I'd just as soon have a Yugo with modern suspension and a 350 Chevy grafted on if it works as well or better.

Never visited the Vintage AR forum?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
11-19-13, 16:47

I meant correct factory barrels as in "Made in Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, Yugo, etc." vs. US made Green Mountain barrels or worse.

And some of us DO collect AKs. I seriously hope you aren't trying to suggest that a CAI fake Bulgarian is essentially the same rifle as a correct Bulgarian, or Polytech or SGL-21. But it seems like you don't understand or appreciate the difference.

Walleye
11-19-13, 18:45
What I don't get is why all of the sudden WASRs are highly desirable. When I first got mine they were 'bottom of the barrel'.

SteyrAUG
11-19-13, 19:02
What I don't get is why all of the sudden WASRs are highly desirable. When I first got mine they were 'bottom of the barrel'.

Non US barrel. About the only thing good one can say about a WASR.

Walleye
11-19-13, 20:59
Still the most accurate 7.62x39 auto loader I have. Beats the snot out of my MAK-90 for accuracy.

But on topic, if you're not into collecting and just want a Kalash type rifle, they're out there for well under $900. However, like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Javelin
11-19-13, 23:19
Just wait a few years and they will be over a grand. Our dollar buys less and less every day. I'm not exactly dumbfounded that there are no $90 SKS's anymore... I mean I saw them for $75 once in the 90s and passed. I saw WASRs for $250 a few years ago on aimsurplus.. But like the Sks they all disappeared ;)

w3453l
11-20-13, 00:33
The biggest concern I have with the AK market is that I'm not seeing Russian guns anymore in any kind of quantity. Some Romys and lots of Yugos. I've heard some rumors that are encouraging, though.

Care to elaborate on those rumors? I'm really interested

SteyrAUG
11-20-13, 01:12
Still the most accurate 7.62x39 auto loader I have. Beats the snot out of my MAK-90 for accuracy.

But on topic, if you're not into collecting and just want a Kalash type rifle, they're out there for well under $900. However, like everything else, you get what you pay for.

I don't think accuracy was ever the problem with a WASR. Most issues were the result of CAI flunkies doing craptastic magazine well conversions. Also I'm not sure a MAK-90 is the high bar for accuracy.

I've had probably a dozen SAR (pre WASR) rifles in my time and so long as I didn't get one with wonky sights they were all pretty accurate as far as AKs go.

Peshawar
11-20-13, 03:14
Building can still be rewarding, even in this age of expensive parts and widely available commercial offerings. Some are very high quality. But putting together your own is, first and foremost, a lot of fun. That's the main thing. It's cool to make stuff from a pile of parts that goes bang. Satisfies a primal need. ;) Secondly, you can make really unique configurations that you simply can't purchase off the rack. That is where my energy is going now. Hybrids that allow me to really create a rifle that addresses any pet peeves I happen to have that day. Do they all work as well in practice as they do in theory? Of course not. But that's all part of the game.

Moose-Knuckle
11-20-13, 21:13
The price of rifles is one thing, but the price of mags is another. Bulgarian Circle 10s are $40+ now, have been for a few years. I use to buy them for $8.99 and Circle 10 and 21 5.45 '74 mags NIW for under $5.

Back when I got into Kalashnikovs (Romy SAR era) mags and ammo were inexpensive and plentiful. Now the surplus steel E bloc mags go for north of $20 when you can find them. Ist not really a good time to get into AKs compared to say ARs unless you want something different and or you collect. The there is the pre-ban market . . .