PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an "AR starter kit"

CRAMBONE
11-19-13, 01:31
Ok back story first. Wife's step dad bought a 6920 back during the craze. He is new to AR's and a noob to firearms in general. He has plans to shoot it and use it for home defence. I have been tasked with getting his Christmas and was thinking about putting him together a "starter kit" for his rifle. Open to tips here guys. And we can't break the bank, so optics are out.

What I am throwing around so far-
-BFG sling
-A few Pmags
-A training DVD, one that's family friendly
-Maybe a light and mount

I know this is kind of a boot ass post but I need a little guidance.

Chatterbox
11-19-13, 01:42
I would say that a starter optic is more important than a DVD & sling. Primary Arms microdot with mount will run you about a $100, and do more for his intended goal.

CodeRed30
11-19-13, 01:53
Quality optic > light, mount, DVD

A good sling is a must to me though so keep that.

Maybe a little front sight tool from Brownells and some Fire Clean lube?

Iraqgunz
11-19-13, 02:41
I recommend getting him a Surefire X300, a Mossie Tactics Midnight Mount and a sling. I assume that the Colt came with a sling so if you can't afford it all get the light. The set up I recommend requires no rail and is easy to use. More importantly he needs to know how to employ the light and how to use the carbine. DVD's will provide ideas, but they won't provide feedback.

Koshinn
11-19-13, 02:50
I recommend getting him a Surefire X300, a Mossie Tactics Midnight Mount and a sling. I assume that the Colt came with a sling so if you can't afford it all get the light. The set up I recommend requires no rail and is easy to use. More importantly he needs to know how to employ the light and how to use the carbine. DVD's will provide ideas, but they won't provide feedback.

I agree with a light and sling over an optic.

A light and sling adds capabilities, a red dot only augments a capability that currently exists (aiming with no magnification).

I have a mossie midnight mount but I don't like it that much. I can't seem to actually reach the light.

Iraqgunz
11-19-13, 03:25
Are you running it on a standard Colt 6920? Just curious because I have average arms length and I have used it on a midlength with no issues. I also use it with a Surefire X300 because that is the light that I know works 100% and is easy to manipulate.

A light and sling adds capabilities, a red dot only augments a capability that currently exists (aiming with no magnification).

I have a mossie midnight mount but I don't like it that much. I can't seem to actually reach the light.

Hmac
11-19-13, 05:56
I agree with optic as next step, but I wouldn't go anything less than an Aimpoint PRO. If that's too much, then I'd recommend back to plan A and get the sling, PMAGs, and DVD. Especially for a novice, I would put a light at the bottom of the priority list, and I am not a believer in the "irons first" mantras. I think he would get far more enjoyment out of a (quality) red dot sight. He'll get enjoyment out of the sling/Pmags/DVD, but my priority would definitely be good optic.

3ACR_Scout
11-19-13, 06:19

I completely agree. In my opinion, a lot of people on this forum are in a rush to mount an optic on a rifle (usually at the cost of a couple hundred bucks) before spending time running it and learning how to employ the weapon. Iron sights work just fine and will be effective in a home defense situation when paired with a good light. Spend time getting familiar with the rifle at the range, buy some ammo (or training) with that money you were going to spend on the optic, and then add the optic later.

Since he's new to firearms, I'd also strongly recommend a gift certificate for a training class (not a tactical class, just a basic firearms safety and handling course). Sure you could teach him yourself, but there are benefits to learning from a qualified instructor in a more formal setting.

Dave

tom12.7
11-19-13, 06:21
I've been in a similar situation a couple times. Knowing what I know now, I'd do this.
Make sure he has a sling, and 4-5 good mags. Spend some time with him to make sure knows basic safety and maintenance. Take him to a range a couple of times to get the most basics of the basics ironed out. Find an entry level basic carbine course and sign him up. Practice with him at least a few times after the class to help reinforce what he learned.
I would do this before getting a red dot, light, or better sling. And when the user is ready for the upgrades, focus on quality not cheapo parts. Never go cheapo on HD/SD items. The 6920 is a great base to start from.

mattg1024
11-19-13, 06:29
Leaving the optic out isn't a bad thing. Learn the irons first.

I'd go with sling, mags, ammo and a basic carbine training class. If he's that new to firearms maybe even a safety course.

GH41
11-19-13, 06:38
"He is new to AR's and a noob to firearms in general"
Get him a gift certificate from a local range that offers instruction with range time. NOT combat courses... gun handling and safety courses. Personally I think an AR is a poor first gun choice but what do I know!! The military does it every day. GH

MistWolf
11-19-13, 08:23

This is good advice. I'd add ammo to the kit.

Stay away from cheap optics. The only thing more frustrating than dealing with cheap optics is dealing with a cheap rifle

Archer1440
11-19-13, 08:27
Just remember to remove the X300 if casing the rifle- it activates way too easy and with fresh batts will burn a hole right through your case liner if it gets knocked to the on position.

Ask me how I know...

caporider
11-19-13, 08:32
Personally I think an AR is a poor first gun choice

I'm curious as to why you think this...

eternal24k
11-19-13, 08:54
Light and sling before optic.

Jumping into optics as a priority is why no one has fundamentals anymore

kdcgrohl
11-19-13, 08:59
A much more affordable light option that will serve you very well:
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-1-light-mount-n-slot-w-g2x-tactical-by-surefire/

IWC also sells BFG VCAS slings, which I highly recommend.

hossb7
11-19-13, 10:13
Just remember to remove the X300 if casing the rifle- it activates way too easy and with fresh batts will burn a hole right through your case liner if it gets knocked to the on position.

Ask me how I know...

Not necessary to remove:

http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/exo-surefire-x-series/

http://www.unitytactical.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/prod_exo_3-400x267.jpg

and a review:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/09/09/initial-review-unity-tactical-exo/

CRAMBONE
11-19-13, 11:30
I need to clarify something. When I said noob to firearms, I meant novice/amateur, not entirely new.
I haven't thought about the gift certificate to his local range/safety classes. Thanks for the other ideas guys.
Optics and ammo are more than we are wanting to spend. I know he will listen to me about what to buy, he bought the rifle I advised him to.

But overall I really appreciate the responses guys, a lot of good points and some stuff I hadn't thought of.

MistWolf
11-19-13, 11:48
Even a single box of ammo is better than none :)

wahoo95
11-19-13, 12:01
Send him to a decent class....no sense in having all the snazzy do dads and add one if he's clueless what to do with it all. Otherwise you're gonna dress up his Colt just so it stays in the safe

Tzook
11-19-13, 12:13
All he absolutely "needs" are:

Sling: means of retaining the rifle. This is the same as a holster for a handgun

Light: If he intends to use this gun for personal/home defense he must have a means to see what or who he is shooting at

Koshinn
11-19-13, 14:11
Are you running it on a standard Colt 6920? Just curious because I have average arms length and I have used it on a midlength with no issues. I also use it with a Surefire X300 because that is the light that I know works 100% and is easy to manipulate.

Not a 6920, but DD 14.5 M4 carbine barrel and FSP.

Split66
11-19-13, 14:41
A valid credit card and this website www.bravocompanyusa.com

HackerF15E
11-19-13, 15:38
Where does he shoot? The most valuable thing you could do for him is buy him a membership at a range so he can get out there and practice.

I like the idea of a training DVD. I loan my Magpul Art of the Tactical Carbine DVDs to my squadronmates who are first-time rifle owners (many USAF officers don't train with the M4 or M-16), and that starts with some basic level instruction and obviously moves on to more intermediate discussions.

GH41
11-19-13, 15:46
I'm curious as to why you think this...

I know the guy has to be 40 plus to have married kids bit I don't consider him any different than a 7 year old. Would you give a seven year old an AR? It is to complicated for starters. At least as a go to home defense gun for a noob. If he has the time and money to shoot often enough that the gun becomes part of him I will retract my statement. GH

Warp
11-19-13, 16:27
A sling and a light, as mentioned. At least a few PMAGs.

And I may be bias here, but I'd send him to an Appleseed (http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php) next, given that he is a novice/amateur, not a noob. Maybe $100 total for the full weekend.

Maybe a DVD also, as mentioned, most people seem to really like the Magpul DVD's, and maybe a basic one day 'tactical' type of course if you can locate one that is close enough, legitimate, and affordable enough (may not be as budget friendly).

Ammo would be an obvious choice, if it was in your budget, but everybody knows how to buy ammo (especially if you tell them the best places to look, price wise), not everybody knows how to buy a sling or light for a defensive rifle, or where to go for instruction.

CRAMBONE
11-20-13, 01:19
A sling and a light, as mentioned. At least a few PMAGs.

And I may be bias here, but I'd send him to an Appleseed (http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php) next, given that he is a novice/amateur, not a noob. Maybe $100 total for the full weekend.

Maybe a DVD also, as mentioned, most people seem to really like the Magpul DVD's, and maybe a basic one day 'tactical' type of course if you can locate one that is close enough, legitimate, and affordable enough (may not be as budget friendly).

Ammo would be an obvious choice, if it was in your budget, but everybody knows how to buy ammo (especially if you tell them the best places to look, price wise), not everybody knows how to buy a sling or light for a defensive rifle, or where to go for instruction.

Warp, that was kind of my thinking on the ammo deal. That is why I was leaning towards kit and training. He lives in B-Ham and I believe there are some decent ranges around him. I could buy him some range time or instruction.
And I have done and seen people do good stuff with irons, another reason I was not leaning towards purchasing an optic. A RDS or ACOG type is just a better way to accomplish the same goal. I will give advise on that however.

eng208
11-20-13, 01:47
I like the light and sling recommendation. I have had good luck with a SF G2 LED, but can't advise on a mount for traditional handguards. I also like the VTAC and Vickers Slings, but they are pricey. I am sure there are similar two point slings on the market for less. Hate a parade sling, but it can work in a pinch and sell for about 8 bucks. I also dislike single point slings just because I have been hit in the jewels a few times with them. :stop: Having minimum of three mags is good and still cheap. Should have come with one, buy two more quality mags. I like GI aluminum mags but have Pmags and aluminums. Mainly use the GI mags. I don't think an optic should be high on any list of "must haves". I pulled out my AR with a carry handle on it the other day and cannot recall having so much fun as I did with that rifle. It was light, intuitive, and just plain old fun. Took me back to when I was a 17 yr old recruit. Have fun, be safe.

sbd1
11-20-13, 03:08
One suggestion for a light and mount - http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-1-light-mount-n-slot-w-polytac-led/

Dasho101
11-20-13, 08:42
Good sling (I still use my standard black nylon, but will replace it with an advances two - one point when I have the funds), white light with means to mount, 4 - 5 mags( I run usgi / lancer), a weekend to learn his rifle and zero, magpul training dvd

ennbeegunny15
11-20-13, 23:02
Spare parts kit. Along with the other suggestions.

26 Inf
11-21-13, 00:09
Warp -

And I may be bias here, but I'd send him to an Appleseed next, given that he is a novice/amateur, not a noob. Maybe $100 total for the full weekend.

Great advice.

JG007
11-21-13, 23:14
In the order of what he would most enjoy, couple boxes of ammo, cheap red dot (primary arms, Bushnell, etc), magpul handguard, TLR streamlight, cheap two point sling

tog
11-22-13, 09:22
Good suggestions here. Just to add, a gun case with mag pouches might be a good idea too.