PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 of AK's

TheWaker43
11-20-13, 20:16
I've been reading a bit about AK's and was looking to pick one up perhaps. I built my AR, it took me about a year of reading here and buying parts but I ended up with mostly BCM, Noveske and Magpul (Geissele trigger, B.A.D A.S.S., Aimpoint, etc) and think I have a pretty good rifle. Right now I am putting most of my money and reading time into a LRB m14 build. So I was looking to just get an AK off the shelf. Something equivalent to a Colt 6920. Any suggestions?

SteyrAUG
11-20-13, 20:26
Arsenal SGL-21 or a variant of. That said, take a long look at the SGL-31 series in 5.45, both are available in folding polymer stock versions.

Rekkr870
11-20-13, 20:33
Don't leave out the SLR-107 as well. Atlantic has them for under a grand.

Moose-Knuckle
11-20-13, 20:58
Arsenal SGL-21 or a variant of. That said, take a long look at the SGL-31 series in 5.45, both are available in folding polymer stock versions.

This.

Closest thing a guy in the US can get to a real deal Russian Kalashnikov. And I own SLR105, SLR106, and an SLR107, nothing wrong with them they just don't have the Russian markings.

96 SS
11-20-13, 21:11
I prefer the Bulgarian rifles over the Russian for many reasons, but the Russian ones are fantastic too.

oef24
11-20-13, 22:17
Another vote for the SLR-107 series. Love the spring loaded firing pins like the Chinese Polytech.

O

scooter22
11-21-13, 03:46
Deleted.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-21-13, 07:37
I think you'd be fine with any of Areseal's current offerings.

Wake27
11-21-13, 07:47
Budget? I went through this only a few months ago and exchanged a couple of PM's with Steyr. I ended up with an Arsenal SAM7R, mostly because that's all I could find in stock at the time and was tired of waiting for a cheaper Arsenal to show up. Its a great gun, but apparently the newer WASR's are being made with CL barrels, scope mounts, and they've tightened up their conversion practice so the magwell cuts are much cleaner. If I had found one for $400 (maybe $500) I'd have been all over it. AIM lists them for $375 last I checked, but they've been out of stock for awhile. I've seen them going for somewhere in the $500s recently I think. Any more though, might as well get an Arsenal.

zzhawk
11-21-13, 09:44
This:

SPQR476
11-21-13, 09:56
Another +1 to SGL-21/31 Arsenals as the 6920. I like the Bulgarians, also, but the Russian guns are probably more the 6920 equivalent.

As for the WASRs, Cugir built guns are better than something like a GP1975, but the Romanians are pretty utilitarian, and the whole welded piston thing is sub-optimal. Of the Cugir guns, the M&M M10 is probably the safest bet, then a hand-picked WASR. I wouldn't call Romys a 6920 equivalent...more of an assembled parts kit, in that at worst, with a little work, you'll have something perfectly functional and reliable.

I'm seeing Waffen Works 74s at good prices right now, but I have not handled them personally.

I've got a stack of Interarms builds that I've been very happy with, but they've dried up lately. I've had good results from the US made CL barrels in them.

BTL BRN
11-21-13, 11:19
SGL 21/31 would be a fine choice, there are a few things to be mindful of IMO:

1) The "paint" job is lacking, any type of harsh cleaner will likely remove the finish; so be careful with the application

2) The triggers are a fairly lackluster 2-stage, easily swapped with a Tapco (yes, Tapco of all things) G2

3) The muzzle threads are an odd sizing, so you will likely have to re-thread if you want to update the stock brake (Manticore's offerings being one exception)

Wake27
11-21-13, 12:10
Another +1 to SGL-21/31 Arsenals as the 6920. I like the Bulgarians, also, but the Russian guns are probably more the 6920 equivalent.

As for the WASRs, Cugir built guns are better than something like a GP1975, but the Romanians are pretty utilitarian, and the whole welded piston thing is sub-optimal. Of the Cugir guns, the M&M M10 is probably the safest bet, then a hand-picked WASR. I wouldn't call Romys a 6920 equivalent...more of an assembled parts kit, in that at worst, with a little work, you'll have something perfectly functional and reliable.

I'm seeing Waffen Works 74s at good prices right now, but I have not handled them personally.

I've got a stack of Interarms builds that I've been very happy with, but they've dried up lately. I've had good results from the US made CL barrels in them.

The Waffen Werks mention brings up a good point, whether the OP wants 7.62 or 5.45. Personally, I chose 7.62 because I can buy it at Walmart and other stores, and because I knew Magpul was releasing PMAG's for the platform soon...

As for the WASR thing, I probably should've clarified I was just throwing it out there, not that its necessarily an equivalent to a Colt.

plouffedaddy
11-21-13, 20:11

Agreed with the first bolded statement. Tough to go wrong with a 6920 for just about anything a carbine would be asked to do; same with the SGL21/31.

I have a couple WWs from before Newtown---awesome guns. Unfortunately it seems that's not the case currently and there are a lot of problems with the basic function/fit of the newer ones.

morbidbattlecry
11-21-13, 20:40
It used to be SGL21 at one point in time in my mind. Now you can't find them. And if you can they cost more then an actual 6920.

TheWaker43
11-21-13, 21:03
Thanks for all the replies so far. Looks like a SGL21 is the way to go and most likely what I will end up with.

I have a fascination with Romania though. And would not mind picking one of those up and putting a bit of work into it. If someone can point me in the right direction, I know SPQR476 mentioned Cugir built guns.

SteyrAUG
11-22-13, 00:00
Thanks for all the replies so far. Looks like a SGL21 is the way to go and most likely what I will end up with.

I have a fascination with Romania though. And would not mind picking one of those up and putting a bit of work into it. If someone can point me in the right direction, I know SPQR476 mentioned Cugir built guns.

Nothing wrong with Romanians, just get a SAR 1/2 so you don't need to worry about poorly modified mag wells, US barrels or crappy builds. Also absolutely NOTHING wrong with Arsenal Bulgarian rifles if you can't find a SGL series.

Wake27
11-22-13, 00:21
Nothing wrong with Romanians, just get a SAR 1/2 so you don't need to worry about poorly modified mag wells, US barrels or crappy builds. Also absolutely NOTHING wrong with Arsenal Bulgarian rifles if you can't find a SGL series.

My Bulgarian is very, very nice... If you just want one AK, ignore what I said about the WASR and find an Arsenal. I looked for SAR's for awhile but I believe they stopped being imported so you're only going to find a used one, and I never found someone selling one that even appeared reputable.

Javelin
11-22-13, 00:25
My vote is Arsenal as well. They are pretty much the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

Rekkr870
11-22-13, 07:10

Are you interested in the side folder or would you rather have the fixed stock? The side folding stocks on the SLR series are second to none.

english kanigit
11-22-13, 18:11

Maybe.

Regardless of who made the thing you would be well advised to inspect the hell out of it prior to purchase. What's in the distribution network now is mostly stuff that was probably manufactured 8-12 months ago... right during the post-Sandy Hook freak out. It would be a good idea to check things over in detail, even if it is an Arsenal. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?934-What-would-one-look-for-if-they-decided-to-buy-an-AK&p=1707255#post1707255)

Ek ;)

TheWaker43
11-22-13, 19:44
Are you interested in the side folder or would you rather have the fixed stock? The side folding stocks on the SLR series are second to none.

I really don't care. I do know that I want wood foregrip. I like the classic look. It's honestly just going to be a range toy so I am hoping not to spend more than $1000 +/- a couple hundred for the rifle, a few mags, and sling.

philcam
11-22-13, 20:42
I don't know crap about AKs but I do like the classic wood stock and 45 degree flash hidder.

Most of the Arsenals are polymer stocked and have the muzzle break. Those can be replaced, but I think they have to be US made to meet 922?

What are your opinions on these two rifles? One is Russian made one Egyptian.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/egyptian-maadi-ak-47-fixed-stock-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/russian-rak-ak47-rifle-red-classic-detail.html?Itemid=0

EB-SF
11-22-13, 21:04
I just ordered an Arsenal SAM7SF thru my LGS and it should be here Monday. I can't wait to take it to the range.

SteyrAUG
11-22-13, 23:50
I don't know crap about AKs but I do like the classic wood stock and 45 degree flash hidder.

Most of the Arsenals are polymer stocked and have the muzzle break. Those can be replaced, but I think they have to be US made to meet 922?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/egyptian-maadi-ak-47-fixed-stock-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/russian-rak-ak47-rifle-red-classic-detail.html?Itemid=0

Both are parts kit guns with US made barrels which is typically never a good thing. Keep in mind the current Arsenals do NOT have a 14x1LH thread pitch so you won't be replacing the 74 style brake with a slant brake.

If a classic AKM (wood stocks, 45 gas port, slant brake, stamped receiver) is what you seek you are going to be looking at pre 89 imports such as Steyr import Egyptian Maadis (prices will start at 2k), Chinese Polytechs and Norincos. Or you could go with a post 89 "sporter" imported via 922r conversion that has an original barrel and a double stack magazine well. These include the later Egyptian Maadi's and Romanian SAR series of rifles and have a gunsmith thread the barrel for a slant brake.

There are also some high quality Polish and Bulgarian parts kit guns out their built with the original barrel on Nodak receivers. Add a Russian wood stock set and you are good to go.

Here's a Polish 7.62 build I got done on a Nodak. It had poly furniture but I was able to track down genuine Polish military stocks (buttstocks can be hard to find).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/000000001688-1_zps51f53c7d.jpg

MountainRaven
11-22-13, 23:56

The Russian one starts life as a Russian rifle. Built in the same plant as the one that builds (or built) AKMs. It has a Russian-made cold hammer forged, chrome-lined barrel. It is converted to be 922(r) compliant. Did I mention that it's Russian?

The Egyptian one is made from a parts kit. I'm guessing that the barrel is made by somebody in the US.

If it were me and my money, I would get the Russian one. Unless you have a curious affinity for Egypt. Which is fine. Strange. But fine.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the muzzle device with one made in the US. Unless you want something really, really strange, you can find one made in the US. Hardwood and laminated hand guards are also available that are made in the US. Only trouble is the original ComBloc side-folders. But if you buy a rifle with one already installed, it's not going to be an issue.

Both are parts kit guns with US made barrels which is typically never a good thing. Keep in mind the current Arsenals do NOT have a 14x1LH thread pitch so you won't be replacing the 74 style brake with a slant brake.

If a classic AKM (wood stocks, 45 gas port, slant brake, stamped receiver) is what you seek you are going to be looking at pre 89 imports such as Steyr import Egyptian Maadis (prices will start at 2k), Chinese Polytechs and Norincos. Or you could go with a post 89 "sporter" imported via 922r conversion that has an original barrel and a double stack magazine well. These include the later Egyptian Maadi's and Romanian SAR series of rifles and have a gunsmith thread the barrel for a slant brake.

There are also some high quality Polish and Bulgarian parts kit guns out their built with the original barrel on Nodak receivers. Add a Russian wood stock set and you are good to go.

Here's a Polish 7.62 build I got done on a Nodak. It had poly furniture but I was able to track down genuine Polish military stocks (buttstocks can be hard to find).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/000000001688-1_zps51f53c7d.jpg

Not to pick nits, but the second one starts life as a Saiga and therefore has a Russian barrel.

plouffedaddy
11-23-13, 10:22

With Cugir AKs (really any AKs) it's best to inspect it first. Here's my guide to inspecting them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Sv4wtyJPU

SteyrAUG
11-23-13, 12:03
Not to pick nits, but the second one starts life as a Saiga and therefore has a Russian barrel.

Missed that. Thank you for the correction.

Hizzie
11-23-13, 13:39
The Yugo O-PAP rifles are a best buy right now.

Redstate
11-24-13, 09:42
With Cugir AKs (really any AKs) it's best to inspect it first. Here's my guide to inspecting them:

[video link omitted]

Thanks for the video. I started a another thread regarding the longevity of the WASR. I hope you will give me your input, plouffedaddy on the other thread. Thanks.

Ferris2son
11-24-13, 21:06
My new SAM7 is really sweet. I'm not an expert but they are very well made.

Flankenstein
12-03-13, 18:09
IMO SLR >SGL

SLR107=6920

JusticeM4
12-03-13, 19:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Sv4wtyJPU

Excellent vid. Wish I knew this back in March when I bought a WASR 10/63. I believe I had canted sights or gas block but it was still zeroed perfectly at 25yards.

You earned a new subscriber :)

oef24
12-03-13, 20:35
IMO SLR >SGL

SLR107=6920

+1

O

TheWaker43
12-04-13, 21:05
I've heard some mixed reviews about the newer SGL21's since FIME took over. Should I be concerned?

Also, any good AK forums? I've found a few, just wondering which is the "m4c.net" and which are "TOS."

SteyrAUG
12-04-13, 23:03
IMO SLR >SGL

SLR107=6920

Perhaps currently.

Kokopelli
12-04-13, 23:11
I have this page bookmarked and waiting. My most recent search for a AK foundered..

TacticalSledgehammer
12-05-13, 01:19
I also had a FEG AMD-65 that was a very nice rifle. I would put its quality up to arsenal's bulgarian line. The only drawback here is that as I'd imagine you could get better CS from arsenal. I did a few mods to mine, and regret selling it.

Bret
12-06-13, 23:21
My vote is Arsenal as well. They are pretty much the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.
I have a pretty large collection of AK's. My personal experience is that overall Arsenal rifles look good, are expensive, but are below average on the as far as quality goes. I've personally had two that Arsenal couldn't make run reliably and one that had to be sent back to have an obviously damaged upon installation front sight/gas block replaced. I'm not trying to argue your point, just pointing out that my experience is different.

If you don't mind a heavier than average AK, the Russian Vepr's which are made on Molot's RPK receivers are very nice.

SteyrAUG
12-07-13, 01:02
I have a pretty large collection of AK's. My personal experience is that overall Arsenal rifles look good, are expensive, but are below average on the as far as quality goes. I've personally had two that Arsenal couldn't make run reliably and one that had to be sent back to have an obviously damaged upon installation front sight/gas block replaced. I'm not trying to argue your point, just pointing out that my experience is different.

If you don't mind a heavier than average AK, the Russian Vepr's which are made on Molot's RPK receivers are very nice.

I guess it depends when you bought them. I bought nearly all of mine when they were $400-600 and each and every one of them has been 100%.

Bret
12-07-13, 07:54
I do have an Arsenal SLR-95MB. I paid around $450 for it and it's perfect. However, it's entirely Bulgarian made. The jokers in Nevada didn't have the opportunity to screw it up. Unfortunately, the SLR-106CR and the SLR-106UR were never in the $500 range. I remember seeing some advertised in the $800 range, but that's as low as I've seen. From what I've been able to determine through my "experience" with them, the ultimate problem with the SLR-106 series is the width of the bottom of the bolt is too wide. If everything lines up perfectly, the bottom of the bolt will pass through the magazine feed lips with just a hair to spare on either side. If everything doesn't line up perfectly, then the bottom of the bolt can contact one side or the other of the magazine. This interrupts the cycle of the action and causes all sorts of problems. I have several 5.56x45 waffle magazines that have the scars of this contact. Every other 5.56x45 AK that I have (Russian Vepr, Polish Archer, Yugo M95, Chinese Type 84, Galil) all have plenty of space to allow the bottom of the bolt to pass between the magazine feed lips without contact. Unlike their milled receiver counterparts, the 5.56x45 SLR-106 rifles were not actually made for military use. They were made for the US market. Ultimately, I think they just had a design failure. Perhaps this had something to do with them being discontinued.

m4brian
12-14-13, 08:24
Maybe its just me, but we must be in an AK bizarro world. Colt Carbines are going for $1000 shipped and WASRs are going for $6-700. Huh? Some Arsenals are under $1K now, but I would maybe think we'd see some break in price. Has the latest batch of WASRs (and all variants) improved?

Redstate
12-14-13, 08:31
Maybe its just me, but we must be in an AK bizarro world. Colt Carbines are going for $1000 shipped and WASRs are going for $6-700. Huh? Some Arsenals are under $1K now, but I would maybe think we'd see some break in price. Has the latest batch of WASRs (and all variants) improved?

Interesting point made. All about supply and demand. Nevertheless, my WASR is about 4 or 5 years old and is not in need of any improvement. It does not have the canted sights or gas tube, at least not obvious. Although it has some mag wobble, it goes bang every time with what is in my opinion more than acceptable accuracy.
I love my WASR.

m4brian
12-14-13, 13:41
Interesting point made. All about supply and demand. Nevertheless, my WASR is about 4 or 5 years old and is not in need of any improvement. It does not have the canted sights or gas tube, at least not obvious. Although it has some mag wobble, it goes bang every time with what is in my opinion more than acceptable accuracy.
I love my WASR.

I have an SA 85 which is the paragon of smoothness, and a crude but effective SAR1 - I bought on-line about 5 years ago, for $400. Again, crude, but effective. This is when an Arsenal was about $700+ at the best. I still think the WASR should be no more than $500 - even now, but you are correct - if demand is high relatively, it will command the price.

Arch
12-17-13, 14:58
Another vote for the SGL21 and SLR-107. I'd give a slight edge to the Bulgarian gun only because the SGL has such a small diameter bolt stem compared to all of the other 7.62 AK's I've owned.

I love my 106, but many people had feeding issues with the early guns.

SteyrAUG
12-17-13, 22:40

You gotta remember those rifles are no longer being built in state factories by communists. They are now making profits and you add the cost of importation and reconfiguration and now AKs cost as much as ARs.

The days of cheap AKs are long gone.

Arch
12-18-13, 08:58
You gotta remember those rifles are no longer being built in state factories by communists. They are now making profits and you add the cost of importation and reconfiguration and now AKs cost as much as ARs.

The days of cheap AKs are long gone.

Socialism fell in Romania in 1989. Romania joined NATO in March of 2004.

I bought my first SAR-1 in 2003 (dated 2003). These were made well after the fall of communism, and were $279 each.

I think the price increases are more market driven than political.

KalashniKEV
12-18-13, 14:56
These were made well after the fall of communism, and were $279 each.

Honestly, they may have been dwindling down their bench stock all that time. Look at how many AIM carbines are out there worldwide.

If they blew out their old inventory and charged full production costs for their new parts guns, that would account for the price difference.

I paid about the same for my SAR-1 in 2003... how much do you think it costs to produce a CHF chrome lined barrel, furniture, and a set of trunnions?

Now add in the cost of importation, customs warehouse, legal etc... then US FCG and 922(r) installation.

Can you get under $300/unit without free parts? I doubt it.

Also, Romania is booming now.

Economic growth is at 4.1%. Wages are rising fast. Adjusting for prices, Bucharest’s GDP per capita is above the EU average. Indeed, the average Bucharest resident is comfortably better off than the average resident of Manchester.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/2013/12/what-britain-forgets

Arch
12-18-13, 16:02
Your points are well taken. Without understanding the wages, etc involved I couldn't answer your question.

Your idea that they were using warehoused parts manufactured by "state financed" equipment and therefore artificially lowered prices is interesting.

As a counter point, I paid $609 for my SGL21 from AIM Surplus in 2009 (IIRC).

Moose-Knuckle
12-18-13, 16:07
As a counter point, I paid $609 for my SGL21 from AIM Surplus in 2009 (IIRC).

And I paid $499 for my SGL21 from Atlantic when they competed with K-VAR back in '09. There out of stock, but listed on K-VARs site for $1199 now!

Arch
12-18-13, 16:12
And I paid $499 for my SGL21 from Atlantic when they competed with K-VAR back in '09. There out of stock, but listed on K-VARs site for $1199 now!

That's an illustration of my point about the market driven prices.

Speculation on my part, but I doubt Izhmash had "NOS" parts left over from the communist era past 2009 (and therefore kept prices low). I think Arsenal found they can charge more due to demand. There is nothing wrong with them making profit. When they price the product above everyone's "pain threshold" they seem to correct by offering "incentives" like the recent deal on $1000 SLR-107's or "deals" like the $799 SLR-106's a few years ago.

To KK's point, I'm sure all manufacturers have experienced some effect from inflation, European monetary crisis's, etc. However, I also believe it to be more market demand driven.

Moose-Knuckle
12-18-13, 16:18
That's an illustration of my point about the market driven prices.

Speculation on my part, but I doubt Izhmash had "NOS" parts left over from the communist era past 2009 (and therefore kept prices low). I think Arsenal found they can charge more due to demand. There is nothing wrong with them making profit. When they price the product above everyone's "pain threshold" they seem to correct by offering "incentives" like the recent deal on $1000 SLR-107's or "deals" like the $799 SLR-106's a few years ago.

To KK's point, I'm sure all manufacturers have experienced some effect from inflation, European monetary crisis's, etc. However, I also believe it to be more market demand driven.

It does, but back in '09 towards the end of the year Arsenal Las Vegas/K-VAR must have had a large quantity of that line and reduced the price to sale of inventory before year end taxes and all that. A lot of dealers were pissed because they were not let in on the deal and K-VAR was under selling Arsenal dealers.

Arch
12-18-13, 16:20
Germane to this conversation....

I've wanted a SLR-107FR for a long time, but wouldn't pay over $1000 for one. When K-Var offered them for $1000 with four Circle 10 waffle mags for an additional $79 (IIRC) I went ahead and ordered. I wouldn't pay more for one under any condition. My "personally imposed limit" on a top tier AK is $1k. I'd rather see them around $800, but people (like me) are willing to pay $1k so they'll have no incentive / reason to lower the price until the demand side dwindles.

If we want to complain about overpriced rifles I'll start by saying FN is raping and pillaging with their SCAR prices. I understand the agreement that requires the civilian guns be sold at or above what .gov pays, but this only means .gov is paying too much. I have no problem paying a premium for a premium product which underwent extensive (and expensive) research and development. However, Scar pricing is way out of line IMO....yet....I still bought two of them.

I think there will always be people like me who are willing to pay more for a product they perceive to be "the best" or even "better" than the competitive options. The price we're willing to pay benchmarks what people charge until manufacturers compete.

Arsenal really doesn't have a competitor in the AK market, and the Scar is only made by FN. Circling back around to the OP...

Colt has umpteen competitors in the AR market, and they've priced their product accordingly. (I happen to be a fan of Colt - only own BCM and Colt AR's).

Arch
12-18-13, 16:21
It does, but back in '09 towards the end of the year Arsenal Las Vegas/K-VAR must have had a large quantity of that line and reduced the price to sale of inventory before year end taxes and all that. A lot of dealers were pissed because they were not let in on the deal and K-VAR was under selling Arsenal dealers.

I read online speculation about the reasoning on a survival related site I use to frequent. I don't know that anyone ever confirmed why the SGL's were so cheap. I think the SLR's were around $699 as well.

Moose-Knuckle
12-18-13, 16:27
Spot on. I too picked up a SLR-107F a few years back for $997 for the reasons you mentioned. Only way to get a "better" product than Arsenal is to go the custom route and that will put one at a higher price point. It really is a bad time to be getting into AKs, sad too considering the price of 5.45 and 7.62.

SteyrAUG
12-18-13, 16:58
Socialism fell in Romania in 1989. Romania joined NATO in March of 2004.

I bought my first SAR-1 in 2003 (dated 2003). These were made well after the fall of communism, and were $279 each.

I think the price increases are more market driven than political.

It didn't happen overnight. And of course it's market driven. But when you have state factories producing them the market is different. Also capitalism wasn't learned overnight.

TXinfidel
12-19-13, 05:44
Or do like I did and find a new SA M-7 priced at 899.00 at a store that has no idea what it is and laugh all the way home. :dance3:
Milled are not really in any way better but my milled guns have always seemed a hair more accurate.

montrala
12-19-13, 08:19
Your idea that they were using warehoused parts manufactured by "state financed" equipment and therefore artificially lowered prices is interesting.

This idea might be right one. Most (or all) state factories in former Warsaw Pact countries entered "new-era" with huge quantities of parts ready to assemble and lot of factory new rifles ready to be issued. Poland was ready to bring 1.1mln under arms (450K for assault operations, 650K for territory defense). Now our army is 40K. You can imagine how big pile of parts that means in Poland only (Russia have 14mln AK-74 waiting in warehouses). This means factories had huge amount of ready rifles and parts, that were practically "free" for them.

To give you an example I will use Poland. Here AKM or AKMS assembled from factory fresh parts or de-FA'ed from unused military rifles cost about $500-600 (including 23% sales tax). At same time "Radom-Sport" rifle (semi-auto version of wz.96 Beryl, sold in US as "Archer") is sold for $1100-1200 (again including 23% sales tax). Why? Because all parts for Beryl are made now, by company that needed to buy their machinery (mostly recently acquired CNC 2D and 3D machines, high tech QA/QC equipment like Zeiss measuring stations and some older machinery including cold hammer forge for barrels bought after ZM Łucznik went bankrupt and recently upgraded to CNC). So no "free" parts inside Beryl. AKM and AKMS are mounted from parts that are kept in storage since 1989 or bought for symbolic price as military surplus.