PDA

View Full Version : type od Ar used by JFK Secret Service detail in Dallas

Tecolote
11-21-13, 15:01
New member here. Tomorrow the 50th annivesary of the JFk assassination. When he was shot, one of the agents in the follow up car pulled out an AR15 for possible return fire. There is at least one photo and it looks to have the prong flash hider. I was wondering if any of the members could tell me just what model of AR it was.
By the way, Agent clint Hill who pushed Jackie back into the limo was carrying a Colt Official Police with a 2 inch barrel(it is, or was on display, at the Newseum, in Washinton DC and it still propery of the Secret Service).

I was in the 9th grade then and later remember ads when the AR15 Sporter was introduced for $189.50. Of course,you could get an M1 carbine for $20 when you
joined the NRA...

Thanks in adavnce.

Regards,

Tecolote

jonconsiglio
11-21-13, 19:39
It was a Colt 601 and carried by Agent Hickey, I believe.

Tecolote
11-22-13, 14:34
Thanks. There is a color photo of Kennedy in the Oval Office holding an AR15 with black furniture with a General holding a crossbow. would I be correct in assuming that was a colt 601 also?

Regards.

Tecolote

jonconsiglio
11-22-13, 17:46
Thanks. There is a color photo of Kennedy in the Oval Office holding an AR15 with black furniture with a General holding a crossbow. would I be correct in assuming that was a colt 601 also?

Regards.

Tecolote

The 601 had green furniture, so I doubt it. I'm sure the info is out there on which models Kennedy owned. A few years back his Garand auctioned for something like $100,000.

There's also some pics of him on his yacht with an AR15. I'll see if I can find the info and post back. I have read he would shoot sharks with it. Supposedly he was given two of them.

CAR-AR-M16
11-24-13, 21:47

Regards.

Tecolote

http://i35.tinypic.com/154zypi.jpg

MarkRSims
12-09-13, 15:50
601's were painted black also as well as green. There have been many documented 601 brown stock sets that were painted black. The one JFK is holding is a 601. Check the duckbill flashider.

jonconsiglio
12-09-13, 18:02
Good point.

Tecolote
12-09-13, 18:33
Thanks for all the replies. I'd honestly all these known that AR15s had any other collor than black for their furniture.
Again, thanks.

Regards,

Tecolote