PDA

View Full Version : Can someone take me Hog Hunting???

scoutchris
11-21-13, 15:47
I live in DFW, I'm a degreed professional with a great job and more than enough frequent flier miles. Been to Iraq twice. Honorable discharge. Just bought my first house. I haven't done shit for myself for fun in years, and I just want to shoot some damn pigs. Or a deer. I've never done that, either. I've never been. Any potential father figures want to adopt a 6'4'' 265 lb former Scout/Sniper and take him hunting pigs I'm game.

Beggars can't be choosers, but I would prefer to be stalking them and not sitting in a stand. I can cover expenses or lodging if it would help, and yes, I know I can just pay an outfitter, but that's not really the experience I'm looking for. I would pay extra if your hogs have laser beams or shoot back as well, and I can entertain your with war stories about the activities that occur in porta potties or the mustaches I grew. Thanks!

usmcvet
12-04-13, 21:02
Dude thanks for making me laugh! I hope someone steps up and brings you hunting!

Caduceus
12-05-13, 11:46
Good luck. We need a "Introduce a member to hunting" forum or something. I've been trying to find someone to teach me deer hunting (or reloading) for years.

Ratfink
12-05-13, 14:39
Wish you were closer to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scoutchris
12-10-13, 17:47
I can fly! Just say when!

J-Dub
12-10-13, 20:41
You know you're literally an hour or two (at the most) away from great hog hunting right? If I were you I would start looking for a good lease. Make sure you're leasing directly from the land owner (no brokers) and iron out everything in writing.

I'd also suggest the "texashuntingforum.com". Even though those asshats banned me, the members are a decent bunch and will probably be able to help you out, just steer clear of their "moderators".

tappedandtagged
12-22-13, 22:00
I would...but I don't own the land I hog hunt on. Sorry. You sound like a great guy.

scoutchris
01-26-14, 14:10
Just wanted to drop an update. I met up with a member on here named TXBK. Never done this before, didn't know what to experience. He took me out on his land here in TX, we kitted up and hiked 200 acres of some of the most beautiful Texas country I have seen. We didn't see a single damn pig! Plenty of tracks, three jackrabbits, and an armadillo, but didn't fire a single round. The moral of the story is this- we both had an amazing time. It was a great opportunity to meet up with someone who has similar interests, strap on our gear and start walking. It was an awesome experience and test of both our physical abilities and how we have our gear set up. It taught me that although my cardio was on point, when we spent over a mile hiking through a sandy dried out creek bed it taught be that my legs weren't used to the stabilization and wearing my old combat boots. I had a chance to show TXBK why I camo all of my rifles.

At the end of the day, I made a good friend, learned, and grew my network of good, hardworking American's that I can turn to should the shit hits the fan. And I hunted something with four legs for the first time I would HIGHLY recommend that more of us on this website get together in person and get out there rather than post on here. You never know who you might meet, what you might learn, or how you might grow. Having all of the latest high-speed gear doesn't matter if you can't carry it for eight hours...or it makes noise... or shines. GET OUT THERE!

That being said, I do have tons of frequent flier miles, and am definitely able to travel if someone has hogs they want dead!

shutup&shoot
01-26-14, 14:36
I had a big boar cross right in front of me yesterday. It made me think of this thread

SeriousStudent
01-26-14, 14:53
TXBK is a very fine fellow. I'm glad you had a chance to hunt with him.

And just like you said, there's a lot more to hunting than just putting meat in the freezer. I'd say your hunting trip was very successful. Glad you both had a good day.

scoutchris
01-26-14, 15:03
TXBK is a very fine fellow. I'm glad you had a chance to hunt with him.

And just like you said, there's a lot more to hunting than just putting meat in the freezer. I'd say your hunting trip was very successful. Glad you both had a good day.

Great guy. That's why it's not called killing, right?

TXBK
01-26-14, 21:24
I appreciate the kind words, gentlemen.

I was a bit apprehensive to respond at first, for various reasons. You never know these days. I'm mean if Chris was lying about his character, experience, and accomplishments...he probably wasn't lying about his stature and I know that he will be armed. I was weighing the options between great guy just looking for some dang pigs to shoot, and horrible blind internet dude-date gone wrong. Turns out that Chris is just the man he proclaimed to be, and I didn't have to spend the rest of my life deceased or talking to a therapist.

We covered a lot of ground. Through the woods, across the pasture, up the hill, down the hill, up the hill, down the hill, across the creek, across the pasture, across the creek, down the creek for a really long time, up the hill, through the woods, back to the truck, throw in some fences and briars and we had a heck of a Sunday afternoon hike. We probably made 4 or 5 miles through some pretty rough country. It stinks that we didn't find what we were after, but that was the type of hunt you were after. I guarantee you that I could had you in and out in a couple hours with a couple pigs, but you would have been sitting in a stand looking at a corn feeder.

I had a great time, and got a good work-out on top of that. We had some good conversation, and I learned a few things. Best part is that I made a friend, and like he said just improved my network.

If you are apprehensive about taking Chris on a hunt, don't be. He is respectful, responsible, and genuinely good people.

usmcvet
01-26-14, 22:16
Cool Story! Oh and the story of my hunting life! Lots if sign not much shooting! =)

stx.dead.I
02-02-14, 17:10
Man I'm in DFW also, just got access to a couple different spots of land and am looking to make my first hog trip soon

Norinco
02-02-14, 19:09
Sounds like a good time. I've been wanting to go on a hog hunt for some time. DFW M4C hog hunt?? lol

stx.dead.I
02-03-14, 06:52
Sounds like a good time. I've been wanting to go on a hog hunt for some time. DFW M4C hog hunt?? lol

Man that'd be cool

Cincinnatus
02-03-14, 14:24
I'd be in for that!

SeriousStudent
02-03-14, 19:41
I hereby volunteer to judge the BBQ gun competition, and help operate the smoker.

TXBK
02-03-14, 19:46
I hereby volunteer to judge the BBQ gun competition, and help operate the smoker.

That is very noble of you to volunteer to help out.

SeriousStudent
02-03-14, 19:58
What can I say? I'm a giver. :cool:

And this way the young 'uns can carry the heavy pig carcasses (carcassi?) back to the house.

stx.dead.I
02-04-14, 07:28

Well if you're going to volunteer for all that then I don't see what else we would possibly need lol

scoutchris
02-04-14, 09:23
Serious Student, as TXBK can assure you, I am definitely the type of guy you want around if you have to carry heavy carcii! Sooo when are we all going hunting? The four of us would have a blast!

stx.dead.I
02-04-14, 14:55
Gotta figure out where first

Koshinn
02-04-14, 15:59
I'd make the drive from Oklahoma to attend. I've never hunted anything with four legs before.

Texashooter
02-17-14, 20:47
I typically don't use this site for my hunting info but I had a wild hair. Good to see the DFW crowd is alive and strong. We went hog hunting back in October and there were about 30 of them sitting at the gate. Unfortunately none of us had our rifles out and they took off running before we could get any shots off. It wasn't my land or I would gladly bring you out. FYI...this was out towards the Decatur area.

Phire Phite
02-28-14, 06:59
Well if you're going to volunteer for all that then I don't see what else we would possibly need lol

If we have a BBQ gun judge, I can volunteer to to be the BBQ pork judge! :alcoholic:

Outlander Systems
02-28-14, 21:40
If we have a BBQ gun judge, I can volunteer to to be the BBQ pork judge! :alcoholic:

Local bar has this smoker. Thought y'all'd like it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OIlvjlrQtao/TzgIukKGg9I/AAAAAAAACp0/HO4TUp2hxTo/s1600/rusty+nail+009.JPG

SeriousStudent
02-28-14, 21:45
That's a pretty neat smoker.

I have a friend that did the BBQ competition circuit for a while. He had a pretty neat scrapbook, with pictures of some of the different rigs. It originally started to collect ideas, he was going to build his "perfect smoker".

But the photos were really something - lots of time, money and energy went into those mobile pits.

Outlander Systems
02-28-14, 21:58
That's a pretty neat smoker.

I have a friend that did the BBQ competition circuit for a while. He had a pretty neat scrapbook, with pictures of some of the different rigs. It originally started to collect ideas, he was going to build his "perfect smoker".

But the photos were really something - lots of time, money and energy went into those mobile pits.

Not only the cooking of the meat, but the sauce recipes...the pits...

...I don't think folks realize what an art form it all really is.

I thought I knew BBQ until I attended this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Pig_Jig

There are some true masters at this out there. I am convinced BBQ is what they will serve in Valhalla.

SeriousStudent
02-28-14, 22:20
That would be very neat, I'd have a blast attending something like that.

If I ever get lottery-stupid rich, I'll have a giant 4x4 pickup towing a pit like that; and me and the dog will just wander the countryside.

Shoot it, smoke it, serve it. There are worse ways to live.