PDA

View Full Version : Run a light at 12 o'clock?

matemike
11-21-13, 19:23
I understand the preferred method is to run a light at 12 o'clock; and I agree. It casts the least amount of shadow where you would least need it. And it leaves the controls very easy to manipulate, especially when using a wrap around front grip, which I also use.

But what leaves me with a question is where to put the front buis?

One would want the longest sight radius possible. So leaving it behind the light is not the best, plus it can interfere with the light controls. The front buis can't go in front of the light; even when folded down it covers too much of the light bezel and the light is so far back that it casts a larger shadow.

I'd prefer my buis to also be on the top rail, but I have settled on using KAC 45 degree offsets. Stinks because the sight radius is still minimalized since the light placement on the top rail requires the front offset sight to be placed not as far forward as possible.

Does anyone have any insight to a better solution? Or am I doing all that I can?

BTW, I am speaking of a Surefire X300 on a 10" larue rail with 11.5" barrel. And I'm left handed if that matters for what side to put the light on.

Ryno12
11-21-13, 19:28
Did you happen to check around here for any ideas?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9527

Sent via Tapatalk

phx223
11-21-13, 19:31
The carbine works just fine with a fixed front sight, and that's what 9 inches from the upper? Sight radius is great, but do you even use your irons? If not a inch or two back doesn't matter at all, and if you do you them you'll still be alright giving up an inch or two as you'll still have a greater radius than a carbine.

^Rb
11-21-13, 19:51
This is what I use, and it's awesome: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?112400-Mossie-Tactics-MT-2400-TRN

Pretty much solves all the shortcomings you listed.

mikejg
11-21-13, 19:59
Realizing everyone is different, Kyle Defoor chooses to run his front sight further to the rear, as he says it is more accurate for him.

Do some testing to see if that extra inch or two really matters if you're worried about it.

Honestly, so many people run the light at 12 o'clock with front sight right behind that I don't think it makes that much difference.

Iraqgunz
11-22-13, 02:41
I also run an X300 on a 10" rail with an 11.5" barrel. I mount it in the forward most position and then BUIS about two slots behind that. Realizing that the BUIS is just that, I am not really worried too much about the little loss of sight radius.