PDA

View Full Version : Northtech Defense lower underwhelmed

1slow01Z71
11-21-13, 20:32
For a billet lower I expect top quality and its just not there with this lower IMO. Ive got seekins, mega, noveske and have built on almost all the other big names and figured Id give the NTD lower a try since it looks nice and I hadn't used one before. Immediately after getting it out of the box I noticed the anodizing is low quality. Looks like a standard forged lower quality. You can still see tool marks in many areas especially by the buffer tube area. The way the radius' are terminated like by the magwell where it blends in to the trigger guard just look like afterthoughts.

Now Im not an overly anal guy and probably never would've looked at it that close had the damn FCG pin holes not been tighter than hell and the safety hole having a real tight spot on it made me look closer at the rest of the lower. Im using a geissele national match trigger and BAD safety so its not like Im using a cheapass LPK. I measured the geissele pins with my calipers and theyre dead on at .154 and there is a definite tight spot when sliding the safety in. Installing the safety from the opposite side it slides in fine but right before the lever seats against the side of the receiver you can feel the tight spot. The buffer tube detent hole was too small as well and had burrs at the top. I had to file where the threads for the buffer tube extend over the hole and even then the detent wouldn't go down but may .05 before it got too tight. At that point I was aggravated and just pulled out the punch and knocked it on down til it was just deep enough to retain the buffer but allow installation. At a later date Ill knock it back out, chuck the detent up in my drill and sand it down til it moves freely in the bore like it should. Didn't have time to do it tonight as Im going out of town with it tomorrow night.

To me this is unacceptable for a $200 lower. Ive built the cheap blem lowers from various companies that had better fit and finish than this lower. Maybe I got bad one, as I haven't read any negative reviews(or really any for that matter) on NTD lowers before but buyer beware, shelling out the cash for a billet lower doesn't necessarily mean youll get quality. With a little love I was able to get the lower together and functionally it works fine just a bit of a pain in the ass having to work on it. I do like the lines of the receiver and it fit nice and tight to my vltoy mur.

On a side note, the BAD EPS set is awesome. I already use the BAD ASS on all my builds, now the EPS will be added as well. This is also the first geissele national match Ive set up myself. Ive shot them before so I know theyre great but installation does take some time. Its nice to be able to tune every aspect of the trigger to your exact liking. Ive got the match spring and the second stage backed off to as light as it can go. I cant wait to see what this does to my groups. Should get to stretch it out a little with my 77gr load this weekend. Despite the difficulties with the NTD lower Im happy with how the build turned out.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/1slow01z71/20131121_195204_zps9e67d97d.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/1slow01z71/media/20131121_195204_zps9e67d97d.jpg.html)
If youre one to worry about if the anodizing matches it does not with my seekins, or mur upper receivers. Doesn't really bother me though but I know it does to some.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/1slow01z71/20131121_195212_zps278a9756.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/1slow01z71/media/20131121_195212_zps278a9756.jpg.html)

scooter22
11-21-13, 20:46
Never buy a billet receiver from a company who doesn't have a stellar record.

Stickman
11-21-13, 20:51
I've owned a few of the Northtech lowers, and never had any issues that you describe. What did they say when you called or emailed them? They are very nice people, so I'm curious as to what they said.

Stickman
11-21-13, 20:53
Never buy a billet receiver from a company who doesn't have a stellar record.

The issue is that they do have a good record, which is making me wonder what happened. Mine are exceedingly nice, and while someone can argue that they do the same thing as a forged lower, that isn't what this is all about.

1slow01Z71
11-21-13, 21:08
I've owned a few of the Northtech lowers, and never had any issues that you describe. What did they say when you called or emailed them? They are very nice people, so I'm curious as to what they said.
Don't know, just put it together tonight and need it for a shoot this weekend so I didn't have much choice but to make it work. I measured the pins to make sure they were in spec and tried them on a couple stripped lowers I have laying around they all worked fine. Luckily the national match comes with the geissele fitting pin so I was able to use that as a guide while I used my armorers hammer to tap the FCG pins in. Ive never had to do that before but the trigger works perfect after I adjusted it. The safety works fine as well after I filed a little of the coating out of the ID of the hole. Seems almost like my lower has a coating problem, like its too thick or something.

The issue is that they do have a good record, which is making me wonder what happened. Mine are exceedingly nice, and while someone can argue that they do the same thing as a forged lower, that isn't what this is all about.
I really wasn't able to find anything on them other than some completed builds with them and obviously no one was complaining along with them being aesthetically pleasing so I bought one. Im sure theyre a standup company and would take care of me if youre vouching for them. I just don't have the time to wait for them to make it right. Aside from the fact that there really isn't anything for them to make right now that Ive cleaned it up. I also planned to form 1 this lower, which is another reason I bought a nicer lower. With the impending deadline to submit my form 1 I don't really have time to play tag sending the lower back or them sending me a new one. My post wasn't meant to totally dog their product just a forewarning that some additional "fitting" may be necessary and being a little disappointed in my semi expensive lower not being in spec.

scooter22
11-21-13, 22:05
Don't know, just put it together tonight and need it for a shoot this weekend so I didn't have much choice but to make it work. I measured the pins to make sure they were in spec and tried them on a couple stripped lowers I have laying around they all worked fine. Luckily the national match comes with the geissele fitting pin so I was able to use that as a guide while I used my armorers hammer to tap the FCG pins in. Ive never had to do that before but the trigger works perfect after I adjusted it. The safety works fine as well after I filed a little of the coating out of the ID of the hole. Seems almost like my lower has a coating problem, like its too thick or something.

I really wasn't able to find anything on them other than some completed builds with them and obviously no one was complaining along with them being aesthetically pleasing so I bought one. Im sure theyre a standup company and would take care of me if youre vouching for them. I just don't have the time to wait for them to make it right. Aside from the fact that there really isn't anything for them to make right now that Ive cleaned it up. I also planned to form 1 this lower, which is another reason I bought a nicer lower. With the impending deadline to submit my form 1 I don't really have time to play tag sending the lower back or them sending me a new one. My post wasn't meant to totally dog their product just a forewarning that some additional "fitting" may be necessary and being a little disappointed in my semi expensive lower not being in spec.

What impending deadline?

1slow01Z71
11-21-13, 22:08
December 9th you may have to jump through all the BS for a trust like your were submitting individually. All my NFA items are on a trust and I don't want to deal with all that crap if it does go through. I think there is a good case for it not going through but Im not taking a chance so I form 1'd a few lowers and bought the remaining cans I wasn't really planning on buying til next year.

scooter22
11-21-13, 22:10
December 9th you may have to jump through all the BS for a trust like your were submitting individually. All my NFA items are on a trust and I don't want to deal with all that crap if it does go through. I think there is a good case for it not going through but Im not taking a chance so I form 1'd a few lowers and bought the remaining cans I wasn't really planning on buying til next year.

Ah, right. I didn't realize they were voting on that so soon. I better get a move on. I recently set up a trust, but I've yet to use it. Just put in an order for my first today...

Iraqgunz
11-22-13, 02:19
So do what do you think is going to happen? You think all of the stuff that was already in the process is going to get magically changed. People may not like the BATFE, but even they are smart enough to know that they would have to implement a common sense system that would more than likely say that all applications that have been received by xxxx date are grandfathered. The worse thing that can happen is they don't process your stuff and they refund your money. But allowing them to use "scare tactics" because of something that "might happen" is somewhat silly to me.

Iraqgunz
11-22-13, 02:21
How about this. I'll close this thread, you contact them with the issue as is the general rule here and then we will revisit this.