PDA

View Full Version : General all purpose rifle

newyork
11-23-13, 10:08
Deciding what to do with my ARs now with the SAFE ACT in place. Ill either ship both off or sell. I will not register. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a rifle to buy that is compliant and a good all around gun.
Ruger GSR with 5&10rd AI mags and sling and use irons for now plus add a light sometime in the future.
Other option is the Savage Hog Hunter with Leupold VX-R Hog, Badger rings and sling and eventually a light.
The Savage has a $535 msrp which is about half of the Rugers. Weight is 7.25lbs. Bbl 20". Capacity is 4rds of 308.
Ruger is 7lbs. 16.5" bbl. $1000 msrp. Big plus: takes mags for quick reloading.

I'd add an optic down the road.

Thoughts?

jandbj
11-23-13, 12:55
Ruger GSR for .308, Mossberg MVP Patrol for 5.56 (10 rnd PMAGS be legal for a bolt gun?), Ruger American Rimfire in .22LR as an understudy for both.
Could set all 3 up with similar sights and/or optics. Would be easy enough to scout scope & peep sight the American & MVP.

For a lower priced & lighter weight option in .308, consider the Ruger American Compact! Street priced around $325, 6 lbs. Spend the savings on sights or optics of your choice.

newyork
11-23-13, 13:01
Sounds awesome. I can only afford 1 set up for now unless I sold the ARs

jandbj
11-23-13, 13:10
http://gunupthemagazine.com/2013/10/28/working-class-scout-rifle-part-one/

Good article on one guys take on making the American a general purpose rifle. I'd add peep sights & an H1. Still be cheaper than a GSR!

Don Robison
11-23-13, 13:47
If you take a look at Davidsons they had Ruger GSRs on sale. I just picked up a left handed on for $749 from them, with shipping and tax it was just under $800. My FFL has a Davidson's store on their website so all fees were taken care of up front and he had it for pickup in 3 days. Ordered it Saturday and picked it up Tuesday. I was thinking of toying with an American, but they don't make them in a left hand version yet.

jcshelto
11-23-13, 14:19
I am going to chime in as another supporter of the GSR.

I own quite a few guns. ARs, Bolt Guns, Shotguns, etc. But I can say, without a doubt, that the GSR is the most fun rifle I have ever shot. I have shot many bolt guns in the civilian and Military world, and there is something intangibly fun about the Gunsite scout. It is incredibly handy (it feels lighter than it is, too). It is accurate as well; mine is probably .75 MOA out of the box, which is great. I have a 2.5x Leupold scout scope, and have no doubt that I can take out a man sized target at 300-600M (We take out silhouettes with irons are 300 in the Army).

The gun is fun, and it is hard to quantify why. When I take my DD AR-15 out, it is a pain. I gotta plan my load out, do my PCCs/PCIs, grab my leatherman MUT (Even though I have never had a failure), I have to bring a case for it, grab some CLP; it just turns into a shooting trip. But with the GSR it can just be a random trip with some incidental shooting.

With my scout, I just grab a box of ammo, sling it over my shoulder (I keep an extra mag in the stick pouch) and leave. It is the gun I will grab If I want zero stress shooting, and I will shoot anything from 10-500M. It is the ideal rifle.

newyork
11-23-13, 14:37
I think you might have me sold then. Ill rock it with irons for the moment until next year. What sling are you using? Mags? Aics?

jcshelto
11-23-13, 15:11
I don't do the Ching Sling, because I didn't want to drill my stock, nor do I completely see the merits of it. I am running a basic, but nice leather two point sling. I find myself, very often, throwing the rifle over my shoulder and "chow slinging" it. Very few rifles lend themselves to the constant carrying in the low ready or some modified form thereof.

I like the irons a lot. I zeroed them for 25 and the Leupold for 100. You would be very surprised at the speed of the 2.5x Leupold; I am pretty much just as fast as I am with my 1x aimpoint. I did put a Bipod on it, but I am not sure that was the best idea; it adds a lot of weight, and I am not sure there is any added benefit, but at least it looks cool.

I do use AICS mags, but I also use the Ruger polymer mags, though the springs don't feel like the strongest things on earth.

Let me put it this way. I have 1000+ rounds of 5.56 and 1000+ of 7.62 at the house. I have started selling off the 5.56, but I won't touch the 7.62. I just hope God puts me in some more open land where I can shoot more.

jcshelto
11-23-13, 15:16
Just to add -- I think the MVP feels insanely cheap and shoddily assembled. If they up their build quality, I'll buy one in a second.

masakari
11-23-13, 15:16
instead of buying another gun, sell everything that you can except the AR and move to the Great State of Pennsylvania.

newyork
11-23-13, 16:03
Not selling my G19s.

Don Robison
11-23-13, 18:36
I think you might have me sold then. Ill rock it with irons for the moment until next year. What sling are you using? Mags? Aics?

I have some Alpha Industries 10 round mags on the way and just had some 5 round Ruger polymer mags delivered today along with sling swivels and a swivel stud. I just got done drilling and installing the third swivel and Ching sling.

jandbj
11-23-13, 19:34
For all the GSR fans out there, be sure to check out scoutrifle.org
Great group of dedicated scout devotees!

newyork
11-23-13, 19:56
Where do you get the Alpha mags? Expensive?

QuietShootr
11-23-13, 20:19
Move.

newyork
11-23-13, 20:33
Can't. I wish I could buddy. I really do. Its all laws and libs up here. Ugh. I can even land a job working for a gun company in FL (friends with my brother) if I moved. Not into their particular guns but it would be cool.

Don Robison
11-23-13, 20:48
Where do you get the Alpha mags? Expensive?

I ordered them direct from Alpha. You'll have to define expensive on your own, but they are less expensive than AICS mags.

http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

newyork
11-23-13, 20:56
Yup. Expensive. HK expensive. Ill get a couple to start.

SpankMonkey
11-23-13, 22:04
Nothing is Worth more than your Freedom. Nothing is more Expensive than your Freedom. It's time to move to a free state. Good luck.

Blankwaffe
11-23-13, 22:23
I guess if I couldn't have my AR's I'd just have to fall back on my trusty ole tried and true K98K Mausers.Maybe in a scout setup with a S&K mount and optic.No need for magazines with a bucket full of stripper clips.
Ultimately I'd just move the hell out of that place and keep my stuff.

newyork
11-24-13, 09:28
I have one last question: if I were to go with something more tradional like the Savage, are Badger rings overkill? They seem heavy and way overbuilt. I usually see them in precision guns.
What is an acceptable set of rings that can be counted on?

Averageman
11-24-13, 16:32
Warne rings have never let me down. I highly reccomend them.
You can but the QD Style and be able to use your irons quickly.
Warne Rocks!

wetidlerjr
11-30-13, 08:53
Just to add -- I think the MVP feels insanely cheap and shoddily assembled. If they up their build quality, I'll buy one in a second.

I haven't find either to be so but you can't account for taste or perception. I had mine threaded for a FH but I may go with a brake. PMAGS work really slick with it, also.

mark5pt56
11-30-13, 19:14
Just picked up a second GSR and couldn't be more pleased. Both are the 16" version and will get the 18" SS in the future. It's moa with those goofy "deer thugs" from Walmart(Federal 165) Out of kicks, I shot 2 each of the DT, 150/165 Fusions at 100, all six on a 2" sticker, not bad for a 16" med barrel and hunting ammo. I might change the brake on this one though(MRAD) light recoil but it's kinda loud! Looking for a FH/brake combo that might not be as loud or go back to the FH.
Mcmillan is making a stock now for the GSR, might look into that one day. Part in the link also shows a light rail attached/bedded into the forend.

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/24/threadid/6300/scope/posts/Default.aspx

brickboy240
12-03-13, 13:58
Bad thing about any rifle in 308 is that when we get these shootings or ammo panics....the 308 all disappears. Not so with 30-06 or 270 and they will do everything the 308 will do and you will be able to find ammo on shelves after Hillary gets elected. 308? Probably not.

...food for thought

brushy bill
12-03-13, 19:37
Bad thing about any rifle in 308 is that when we get these shootings or ammo panics....the 308 all disappears. Not so with 30-06 or 270 and they will do everything the 308 will do and you will be able to find ammo on shelves after Hillary gets elected. 308? Probably not.

...food for thought

Wisdom here. This thinking led me to get a Garand.

brickboy240
12-04-13, 12:13
There is "wisdom" in getting a Garand as well.

Chances of having the AK or AR getting banned is MUCH greater than with the Garand. Also less chances of having to register a Garand in the future, versus an AR, AK or other scary looking black rifle.

I keep a Garand and a Carbine for those reasons alone.

-brickboy240

SurplusShooter
12-04-13, 13:45
Re: the M1 Garand:
If you are already in a jurisdiction that limits to 10-rounds, and you don't care about Lights/Optics/Scope/RedDot, and you can accept the ~10-lb weight, then okay... the Garand gives you 8-shots semi-auto of 30-06 (or 308) in a "traditional looking" rifle (still has Bayonet lug, though, if that matters under your laws).

I like the M1 Garand, but for the money in a modern context there are better options especially if you want to mount an optic/light/RedDot etc, Garand & Carbine don't have any easy way to accommodate those things.

The OP Referenced NY "Safe Act?" Not sure how that works with M1 Garand's 8-shot clips. There are 5-round Garand clips available, is that what you would be limited to?

For the M1 Carbine: AFAIK nobody makes a 5-round magazine for the Carbine. Also you kinda need to reload to shoot 30-carbine ammo, it is on its way to obscurity.

brickboy240
12-05-13, 10:27
A Browning BLR in 30-06 or 270 might be the ticket...concerning those laws.

Ditto on a nice used Savage 99 in 300 Savage or maybe 308. I have an early 99 in 300 Savage and it will do everything a 308 will do and it is pretty accurate.

The Remington pump 760 and 7600s can also be had in 30-06 and 270 as well as 243. Quality is not bad on the earlier ones. Stay away from the semi-auto Remmy center fires...they're prone to jamming and not very accurate.

Also, how about the Browning BAR or FN AR? At least with the BAR (the sporting one..not the WWII military version) you can also get it in 30-06 and other calibers besides 308.

-brickboy240

8200rpm
12-06-13, 22:20
Re: the M1 Garand:
If... you don't care about Lights/Optics/Scope/RedDot, and you can accept the ~10-lb weight, then okay...

I like the M1 Garand, but for the money in a modern context there are better options...

I'm in COMPLETE agreement.

I love my Garand. It's a legacy gun in the historic sense, and it will be a family heirloom once I kick the bucket. If I was campaigning in Europe against k98 armed Nazis, the Garand would be top pick. However, it only takes a session of shooting it back to back with modern guns to realize that times have changed.

As for choosing a .270 or .30-06 for availability during a panic, I'm not really sold on the reasoning. Yeah, I understand that Walmart nearly always had .270, .30-06, and 7mm Mag hunting ammo in stock through 2013. But, would non-NY residents abandon their 5.56 MSR's in order to avoid ammo scarcity? Choose the best caliber in the best platform that's compliant, then stockpile as much ammo as you can reasonably afford and shoot.

With that said, my next hunting rifle will be without a doubt chambered in .270.

brushy bill
01-01-14, 14:06
Just picked up a second GSR and couldn't be more pleased. Both are the 16" version and will get the 18" SS in the future. It's moa with those goofy "deer thugs" from Walmart(Federal 165) Out of kicks, I shot 2 each of the DT, 150/165 Fusions at 100, all six on a 2" sticker, not bad for a 16" med barrel and hunting ammo. I might change the brake on this one though(MRAD) light recoil but it's kinda loud! Looking for a FH/brake combo that might not be as loud or go back to the FH.
Mcmillan is making a stock now for the GSR, might look into that one day. Part in the link also shows a light rail attached/bedded into the forend.

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/24/threadid/6300/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Great link for those who have not used it. Didn't realize this stock would make such a difference in appearance and the rail modification for the front (light mount) looks very handy. Appreciate the info on the grouping as well. Read the GSR was not very accurate and was reluctant to proceed. This may push me over the edge.

Lost River
07-13-14, 09:40

...food for thought

With that in mind, stock up now and not worry about .308 components or ammunition becoming difficult to locate at a reasonable price. Relatively speaking, ammo is currently very available and prices are not bad as compared to the last few years.

Having a 30-06 in the stable is never a bad choice though. It is not exciting or new, but it's a very versatile cartridge for everything from varmints to elk/moose sized meatsickles.